2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tomsky
Tomsky

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:44
Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:28
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:24

And stay behind Russell like he did in the first stint? Destroying his tires in dirty air? Without a tire delta it was going to be pretty hard for Lando to overtake Russell (as proven on the first stint).
Russell had a pit stop of more than 5 seconds, which would have been enough to take second place.
I feel like this has gone full circle, twice now lol

It seems the car came alive when not in dirty air so the delta from going long put the team in a position to find clean air and attack very efficiently.

Of course, it could be that we were just better on the harder compounds and would have got past.

But did you know it was Lando that made the call? After bluffing Russell they asked him if he wanted to come in, and Lando made the call.

Also, he would still have been behind Hamilton and Sainz, so Russels pit didn't alter the decision.

So even if it was a mistake, it wasn't the pit walls mistake. What the team realised was that each lap took over a tenth out of the softs per lap. Whilst others dropped back and lost a little time in traffic, Lando gained nearly a second a lap over them in the offset and dropped them like flies.

Fire Lando? I think it was a good idea so I'll keep him for now 😉
Lando sees only a few cars during the race, strategists should just order him, and not listen to a person who does not have the full picture. For example, he didn't know that Russell's pit was 5 seconds.
Last edited by Tomsky on 23 Jun 2024, 19:04, edited 2 times in total.

mwillems

bauc wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:25
Ben1980 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:18
bauc wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:10
Lando & Mclaren must work on their race starts, they are horrible and it has become a trait now ..... we lost 2 races in a row that we could have won, I guess all of this is part of the learning curve, like someone here said, if we are disappointed with 2nd than we are on the right track :)
Horrible seems a bit strong.
How it sounds its not relevant, what is relevant is that we are loosing a lot at the starts, especially Lando and it is more evident now when we are racing at the front than before.
I think it was marginal with Max and George just got a double tow.

He might have been better to cede to Max and defend 2nd, but his eyes were only looking at one person. This was the real mistake for me. He'll get that experience and learn.

What are the other bad starts?

Last year I thought he was great at the starts, I can't remember it being too bad this year, but it's possibly my memory!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:55
Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:49
I really wanted a McLaren home race win :(
With such strategists, this is unlikely
You're just plain wrong. Others have shown you how tyre delta was the only chance of a shot at it. Clearly you don't understand or don't want to let go of it.

Emag
Emag

Also, a slight thing to keep in mind is that ideally if McLaren ends up beating Ferrari for 2nd in the WCC, they should do so at the latest available opportunity. I don't know when the next constructor "snapshot" is taken, the order of which will decide the wind tunnel hours you get, but I believe it's soon. In that regard, it's better to be 3rd in the standings.

Tomsky
Tomsky

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:59
Tomsky wrote:
Emag wrote:
I really wanted a McLaren home race win :(
You're just plain wrong. Others have shown you how tyre delta was the only chance of a shot at it. Clearly you don't understand or don't want to let go of it.
Others simply do not see an obvious mistake, or simply do not want to criticize the team.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Emag wrote:
Also, a slight thing to keep in mind is that ideally if McLaren ends up beating Ferrari for 2nd in the WCC, they should do so at the latest available opportunity. I don't know when the next constructor "snapshot" is taken, the order of which will decide the wind tunnel hours you get, but I believe it's soon. In that regard, it's better to be 3rd in the standings.
Piastri has made sure of that, as luck would have it. Next calculation is June 30th and unless Ferrari doesn't score at all the entire weekend while Mclaren goes 1-2 in both events, they won't overtake.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 23 Jun 2024, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

Marc.W

Austria should be more favourable for McLaren since there is a lot of kerb riding

BMMR61

Xero wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:18
Emag wrote:
I hope they start bringing some stuff in Austria and Silverstone. No matter how small, it will make a difference at this point.
Decoding Zak's Sky post-race interview they are bringing bits for Silverstone, but how significant is anyone's guess.
Evidently upgrades are overrated! Fine tuning your package seems to do the trick.

Emag
Emag

Marc.W wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 19:04
Austria should be more favourable for McLaren since there is a lot of kerb riding
Lando also loves the track. Hasn't been a single year he hasn't done well in Austria, including his rookie year. Given how great the car has been performing at various tracks, if they're not at least in the hunt for a win there would be quite disappointing.

Mercedes and Ferrari remain a bit of question mark still, but if today is anything to go by, Lando at least has some pace in hand over both.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 19:02
BMMR61 wrote:
Tomsky wrote:

Others simply do not see an obvious mistake, or simply do not want to criticize the team.
Or, you may be wrong.

I'm not one to shy from criticising. I just don't agree. I was upset about the call and then the Delta gave way more back than it cost and I realised I was wrong.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

There were two critical moments in the race that meant Lando lost the victory.

1. Bad start by Norris and Verstappen and Russel overtake him
2. Verstappen overtakes Russel on lap 2

If VER didn't manage to overtake or RUS didn't get ahead of Lando I am sure the victory would have been ours with the caveat that maybe a slow stop could have lost him a win as well.

Verstappen was just perfect and the gaps are too small to beat him if you make mistakes.

But the pace was good, strategy made sense and Lando drove great (except the start)

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 19:21

If VER didn't manage to overtake or RUS didn't get ahead of Lando I am sure the victory would have been ours with the caveat that maybe a slow stop could have lost him a win as well.

Verstappen was just perfect and the gaps are too small to beat him if you make mistakes.

But the pace was good, strategy made sense and Lando drove great (except the start)
Amen 🙏

Emag
Emag

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 19:21

And Max even admitted himself in the cool down room. He had to make that overtake that early because then the tires would overheat and he would be stuck behind George. It's not like Lando didn't have the pace to go past George, he just missed the window.

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 19:15
Tomsky wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:

Or, you may be wrong.

I'm not one to shy from criticising. I just don't agree. I was upset about the call and then the Delta gave way more back than it cost and I realised I was wrong.
I have no doubt that if Lando Max had been in his place, the strategists would have stopped him right after Russell and they would have stopped at the pit in Canada

Emag
Emag

Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 19:23
mwillems wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 19:15
Tomsky wrote:

Or, you may be wrong.

I have no doubt that if Lando Max had been in his place, the strategists would have stopped him right after Russell and they would have stopped at the pit in Canada
Not sure if a troll or not, but either way you seem fully convinced on your view so I am personally not gonna indulge further after this.

However, you are wrong :)

With the pace he had on the dry tires, Lando would have lost in Canada on-track anyway, even if he pit at the first safety car.

And the strategy here, as pointed out for the millionth time in the thread already was just an attempt at trying something different after getting on the back foot at the start. The race was already lost when Max started pulling away from George.