2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Not much then.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

yooogurt wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 20:42
venkyhere wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 20:37
The Miami update was a 2.0, it wasn't a 1.xx update. Best race pace and tyre deg on all compounds. Best in all types of corners and straights. No apparent weakness. The only thing preventing them from winning everything since Miami, is 'perfection in execution'
But in Imola Ferrari has 2.0 too, and pace gap was 1 tenth vs Max, Lando and Charles. Now Charles and Max have good amoungh upgrades, but pace seems like become worse or equal, huh?
Looks like they have managed to extract more from the same package . Also, they did say imola was not a strong track for them. Their upgrade just has a higher ceiling.

I think the picture will be a lot clearer by Silverstone. If Mercedes is still matching Ferrari and Redbull and McLaren stay 3 tenths faster, this season is done for Ferrari

dialtone
dialtone

Xyz22 wrote:Image

Tremendous tyre management in the first stint for Charles.

Our pace compared to McL was awful though. Really big difference.
That Sainz pitted with George shows the 2 are among the worst tire managers on the grid.

Charles did great but Sainz was just way too poor at it here.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

dialtone wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 21:54
Xyz22 wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GQxKVR7W4AE ... =4096x4096

That Sainz pitted with George shows the 2 are among the worst tire managers on the grid.

It happens on every big deg track with Sainz pretty much.

bluechris

I never expected to say this but at least from next year we will have Hamilton who is great with tyre management.

ScuderiaLeo

At least Hamilton and Leclerc have similar styles for the start, that is they both take no rush in pushing at the start because they know they're in it for the long haul.

Sainz can't seem to wrap his head around the fact the SF24 isn't suited for pushing on Lap 3. I don't understand why he does this to himself every single weekend.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

It’s not just that, but he actually held leclerc up and limited the options available strategy wise. Leclerc hadn’t extracted enough out of the tyres because he was behind Sainz to open up any option of an undercut which might have worked on Hamilton. It also then left him with too much to do on a tyre offset stint so it’s really much more damaging than at first glance.

yooogurt

SoulPancake13 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 22:00
It happens on every big deg track with Sainz pretty much.
I remember a lot of pilots saying that in the current regulations the first laps are the most important for the whole stint, if you attack too much in the beginning, the tires will die much faster that expected.
And that's exactly what Sainz did, but to be fair, i can understand why, today may have been his last chance for a podium in home race, his career will continue at Williams or Audi with dim prospects.
I think this is a one-off, in the Monaco after qualifying he says the priority is Charles winning. And straight outright cruelty for all time in Ferrari for him I do not remember, only if Imola last year, but there also "home" race and both wanted to the podium.
FORZA FERRARI!

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 22:08
At least Hamilton and Leclerc have similar styles for the start, that is they both take no rush in pushing at the start because they know they're in it for the long haul.

Sainz can't seem to wrap his head around the fact the SF24 isn't suited for pushing on Lap 3. I don't understand why he does this to himself every single weekend.
He mainly does this when it's Leclerc in front of him, as he's always very eager to pass him and 'establish' himself.

That said, it was his home race here, so I can kinda understand the temptation.

scuderiabrandon

dialtone wrote:

That medium stint from Sainz was something out of a F2 driver's tyre managing play book. Not seen such a disaster class in tyre management since Piastri joined F1. And that's why he got put onto a hard tyre, no way he was stretching a soft 23-24 laps, his tyre management was tragic.

He took away the only strategy option the faster driver had to get a podium. If we matched Hamilton and Verstappen's strategy, which was certainly the plan until Sainz overtook Charles off-track. Not sure how that was cleared by the FIA, anyway. P3 was on. Leclerc was only 0.004s off the pace of Hamilton during the race. Sure, he had a tyre offset, but he lost so much time trying to extend that first soft stint. He was at one point 1.3 second slower than the driver who stopped early. That was the only choice after Sainz overtook.

He once again ignored the teams instructions to save the tyre at the start of the race, as in Austria 2023, almost took out both of them, again as in China 2024, and compromised Ferrari's strategy. All for what? To finish P6, still behind the guy he tried so hard to finish ahead of.

And you wonder why he is not an option for top teams. They all see him as a stop gap option. No one has long term plans for him other than back markers.

It's now becoming a serious concern and problem to have him on the team. If he qualifies behind Leclerc, he sure as hell will destroy both their races for his own benefit. He qualifies ahead, and you just bottleneck the car's potential.
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 24 Jun 2024, 00:17, edited 4 times in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:

Sainz is absolutely not one of the worst tire managers of the grid. The same is true for George.
They are better than all the other drivers that are not Leclerc, Hamilton and Verstappen.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 23 Jun 2024, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

ScuderiaLeo

Do we know if Sainz had damage or not? I know Leclerc did though it was minor and the team says it didn't affect his times. But has Sainz or the team mentioned anything about his car?

dialtone
dialtone

Xyz22 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 23:09
dialtone wrote:

Sainz is absolutely not one of the worst tire managers of the grid. The same is true for George.
They are better than all the other drivers that are not Leclerc, Hamilton and Verstappen.
Right, I was perhaps exaggerating. But there's no way you don't include Lando in that. And I would say Albon also is very good at tire management after that race last year where he pitted only for the last lap.

I would also put Alonso ahead of him, and frankly Piastri did a MUCH better job than him here. So we are at 7 drivers that I think either improved enough to be better than him at this race or are just plain better than him.

So IMHO he was indeed the worst of the top teams with Russell, and considering that at least Russell was 1st and pushing in the 1st stint, at least he had an excuse for having high tire deg compared to SAI that instead was slower on pace and stuck behind Hamilton.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Austria next up then- a lot of chat about RBR not quite having their efficiency advantage at altitude - how do you think Spielberg will suit Ferraris characteristics this year?

Any particular engine advantage to consider at altitude?

My gut says McL and Merc will go really well here.

yooogurt

Mansell89 wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 00:43
how do you think Spielberg will suit Ferraris characteristics this year?
Everything will depend on the air temperature and the track in particular, if it will be 30+ with no clouds there will be good chances
FORZA FERRARI!