2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Bad first stint with the softs for Alo but then good overcut and good pace with Hards compared to Stroll who felt slow with them

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Sherrinford wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 21:01
I remember that the car had to be an all-rounder, one that would adapt well to every track. She would keep up with the top teams' updates, bringing them almost always. Furthermore, it began in Imola the real update, which would have turned the season around positively. Am I remembering bad or was it supposed to go this way? The only thing is that the updates in number have actually arrived.
It's quite plausible that Mercedes found and fixed wind tunnel or data correlation problems without sharing these specific solutions with Aston Martin.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Spain was always going to be extremely difficult for this car.

nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

I feel they wasted the entire winter on making car more efficient and better drs for top speed. They got that but at what cost?? Chasing stable DF and better traction should have been the main priority with a little compromise on straight line speed.

diffuser

nowaysthatsreal wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 01:46
I feel they wasted the entire winter on making car more efficient and better drs for top speed. They got that but at what cost?? Chasing stable DF and better traction should have been the main priority with a little compromise on straight line speed.
I think the DRS efficiency is the air flow under the skin of the car. It isn't related to their problem. Dan said he put together a small team to do that early last year. Probably the first team of people they put on the car in 2023. It has to do with the placement and shapes of parts and free space between. You need to use the wind tunnel for that but that doesn't go against your wind tunnel time limitation. That limitation is for outside the skin, floor, diffuser, etc.

I don't think that time was wasted.

Plus the car that debut in 2024 was pretty good in comparison. It's just that they've seem to have stood still with their upgrades and everyone has moved forward.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 22:20
Bad first stint with the softs for Alo but then good overcut and good pace with Hards compared to Stroll who felt slow with them
Alonso was getting frustrated. At one point, before he switched to the hards, the engineer asked him "what wing adjustments he would need for the car's balance?". His response was, "what difference is it gonna make?" He came back a few seconds later and said too much DF on the front. Earlier on they asked him if his balance problems was on the front or rear axle. His reply was both.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Alonso:
I think that last year when we introduced improvement packages we expected one thing and the results were different. I think now we have understood why there were all those discrepancies, so there is a little bit more confidence in what is being done now than there was three months, six months, a year ago. So that's the most positive thing I see for the future.

But as I say, there's no point in saying it if we don't prove it, so let's see if we finish the year strong.
It's difficult to believe after all the previous failed attempts, but who knows... fourth time's the charm? In the meantime Austria and Silverstone are going to be difficult according to him.
Last edited by KimiRai on 24 Jun 2024, 04:58, edited 14 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 02:03
nowaysthatsreal wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 01:46
I think the DRS efficiency is the air flow under the skin of the car. It isn't related to their problem. Dan said he put together a small team to do that early last year. Probably the first team of people they put on the car in 2023. It has to do with the placement and shapes of parts and free space between. You need to use the wind tunnel for that but that doesn't go against your wind tunnel time limitation. That limitation is for outside the skin, floor, diffuser, etc.

I don't think that time was wasted.

Plus the car that debut in 2024 was pretty good in comparison. It's just that they've seem to have stood still with their upgrades and everyone has moved forward.
What was interesting is that Aston actually had terrible DRS efficiency this weekend. The F1 telemetry Twitter had the report from qualy. Aston only gained 29km/h with DRS.Aston Martin's no-DRS speed was very high, which suggest to me that they lacked downforce overall. That's probably generally why they were so slow.

We have seen earlier in the year that Aston was able to have a large DRS delta, probably the largest on the grid. I don't really understand this Barcelona spec.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 24 Jun 2024, 06:47, edited 3 times in total.

ringo

Alonso getting a little nasty withe comments about his team's development after the race. His true colours will show in a few more frustrating races.
He is saying the team need to do less talking about upgrades and prove it.
I dont see the relationship going well in the long run. Should they have signed him till 2026?
He may have similar issues of understanding the tyres like Lewis. And his teammate is of no use. Aston need a young gun like an Albon or Russel to find a direction from their feedback.
This team despite all the spending is now worse than poor Alpine.
For Sure!!

KimiRai
KimiRai

ringo wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 04:50
Alonso getting a little nasty withe comments about his team's development after the race. His true colours will show in a few more frustrating races.
I dont see the relationship going well in the long run. Should they have signed him till 2026?
He may have similar issues of understanding the tyres like Lewis. And his teammate is of no use. Aston need a young gun like an Albon or Russel to find a direction from their feedback.
I don't see the nastiness anywhere unless you read clickbaity news. Less talk and more results is reasonable, he's still trusting the team to make a comeback this season.

RedNEO

KimiRai wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 04:53
ringo wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 04:50
I don't see the nastiness anywhere unless you read clickbaity news. Less talk and more results is reasonable, he's still trusting the team to make a comeback this season.
Yeah ignore that user he’s a troll. In one breath he criticises Alonso for a very lite criticism of the team and then he ends his post by criticising the team heavily. 🙃

Alonso trusts Stroll Snr and they are both together in their views. People trying to spin a different narrative are going to have egg on their faces pretty quickly.

peewon

While I don't think Alonso is toxic in the sense certain people have tried to portray him, it's very obvious he's an emotion driven person in a stereotypical latin fashion.

I was critical of him for being so defensive of the team when they botched the strategy in Monaco last year. They should have acknowledged they made a mistake and improved the processes. He defended the team wholeheartedly because he was optimistic at the time. He's clearly not now and he is tending to be a bit more pissy.

Hamilton ironically at the same race in '22 wanted to retire the car because he was having a tantrum and ended up finishing 5th. Alonso was getting used to fighting for podiums and now running around aimlessly again so got to be frustrating

-wkst-
-wkst-

KimiRai wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 02:33
Alonso:
I think that last year when we introduced improvement packages we expected one thing and the results were different. I think now we have understood why there were all those discrepancies, so there is a little bit more confidence in what is being done now than there was three months, six months, a year ago. So that's the most positive thing I see for the future.

But as I say, there's no point in saying it if we don't prove it, so let's see if we finish the year strong.
It's difficult to believe after all the previous failed attempts, but who knows... fourth time's the charm? In the meantime Austria and Silverstone are going to be difficult according to him.
He is downplaying for sure the upcoming races, but Austria looks ok on paper. Unfortunately it will be very hot, otherwise deg would be no topic and even a help for Q for heating the tyres.

From an outside point of view of the team, I wish that Krack will be gone soon, no vision, no power in his words. For me he is the image of mediocrity and Gerhard Berger was maybe right with his statement about Krack.

collindsilva
collindsilva

Seeing a post on X from "@robertofunoat" about possibility of B spec AMR 24. What's your thought on this...

RedNEO

collindsilva wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 08:28
Seeing a post on X from "@robertofunoat" about possibility of B spec AMR 24. What's your thought on this...
Another Red Bull copy and paste after Red Bull pulled the rug from under them this year. Technical team will always be one step behind under Fallows because other teams somehow knew (no doubt helped by their own hires of Red Bull staff in some cases) to go in that direction before they did.

It really doesn’t matter about this year what car comes to the track other than to keep team morale high. But another thing that will do that in spades is bringing in Newey. To me that matters more than any copy spec.