2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tomsky
Tomsky

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Stella: In terms of data of sprint quali, there were a few corners were Lando and Oscar could have done better.

willmesquita

Emag wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:24
FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:23
I watched Landos lap, doesn't look that good. He made a clear mistake in T1 where he turned in too early and in T3 the car looked to understeer a lot. There was a snap in the middle sector as well.
His S1 wasn't amazing, but to be fair he has been looking scruffy today. Not the usual machine we are used to seeing by him on Austria.

Still a decent result though, and they will have one more practice before the main qualifying to sort things out. Hopefully they have clean starts and grab some points out of RB & Ferrari tomorrow.
The car seemed a little hard to drive today, great job by Lando and Oscar!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

CjC
CjC

Tomsky wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:32
CjC wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:29
Yea good performance today, it’s once again all to play for.
Great bounce back by Oscar =D>
Oscar lost more than two tenths to a sick Lando. What's great about it? In my opinion, a weak performance.
And that is what it is, your opinion.
I have mine.
Oscar isn’t 1 and a half seasons into his career yet, I personally think he’s shown enough to be get to a very high level in the sport.
Just a fan's point of view

willmesquita

Just don't feed it...
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:24
FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:23
I watched Landos lap, doesn't look that good. He made a clear mistake in T1 where he turned in too early and in T3 the car looked to understeer a lot. There was a snap in the middle sector as well.
His S1 wasn't amazing, but to be fair he has been looking scruffy today. Not the usual machine we are used to seeing by him on Austria.

Still a decent result though, and they will have one more practice before the main qualifying to sort things out. Hopefully they have clean starts and grab some points out of RB & Ferrari tomorrow.
Are you classing the sprint race as the ‘longs runs’ that we usually see in FP2 like me as well? :D

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:53
Tomsky wrote:
CjC wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:29
Yea good performance today, it’s once again all to play for.
Great bounce back by Oscar =D>
Oscar lost more than two tenths to a sick Lando. What's great about it? In my opinion, a weak performance.
I have mine.
Oscar isn’t 1 and a half seasons into his career yet, I personally think he’s shown enough to be get to a very high level in the sport.
He has a point. It depends on what sort of expectations you put on drivers.

If you want to take a recent extreme, when you look at what Leclerc did in his 2nd season (2019), Oscar hasn't been up to the same standard. But I look at it from a different perspective.

Gaps are super tight this year, and these cars are arguably harder to drive to the limit compared to the previous generation. Plus, Oscar has more races to show he has gotten better and be closer to Lando on a more consistent basis.

After all, you only have to go back to Imola & Monaco, and he outqualified Lando.

It's his race pace that is more of a concern for me.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Oscar said he made a mistake in T3 and that he thinks he could've gotten pole or a better position if he didn't. I'm not sure if Lando made a mistake.

mwillems

3kph faster is a bit of a nothing burger but the high speeds cornering of Red Bull continues to shine. Looks like the kerbs offered Red Bull no resistance after all.

Didn't see the session but I look forward to comparing the top laps.

Last edited by mwillems on 28 Jun 2024, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Dafnalina wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 18:03
Oscar said he made a mistake in T3 and that he thinks he could've gotten pole or a better position if he didn't. I'm not sure if Lando made a mistake.
Lando's first sector wasn't amazing, but I haven't seen the lap to confirm any mistakes.

What we know is that something was stuck on his front left tire, so he had to get rid of it during the outlap. Whether he did get rid of it completely or not, I am not sure again.

Emag
Emag

Is Lando sick? I don't know who mentioned it here before, but he looks unusually fatigued in the post quali interviews, and he sounds congested :

https://imgur.com/lando-post-sprint-qua ... ew-KFRETDL

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Emag wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 18:18
Is Lando sick? I don't know who mentioned it here before, but he looks unusually fatigued in the post quali interviews, and he sounds congested :

Yeah, Kym Illman said he was sick and coughing. Poor guy. He's been under the weather since Spain.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:59
CjC wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:53
Tomsky wrote:

I have mine.
He has a point. It depends on what sort of expectations you put on drivers.

If you want to take a recent extreme, when you look at what Leclerc did in his 2nd season (2019), Oscar hasn't been up to the same standard. But I look at it from a different perspective.

Gaps are super tight this year, and these cars are arguably harder to drive to the limit compared to the previous generation. Plus, Oscar has more races to show he has gotten better and be closer to Lando on a more consistent basis.

After all, you only have to go back to Imola & Monaco, and he outqualified Lando.

It's his race pace that is more of a concern for me.
Yea his race pace is quite weak.

For now, all I’ll respond with is this.
Who else would you prefer in the car other than Verstappen, Hamilton, Leclerc, Russell or Alonso?

Macklaren
Macklaren

Emag wrote:

yes he's unwell. He was unwell in Barca as well. Some reports that he's gotten worse

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I liked the sprint qualification. The density is still high. I hope the team will be able to unleash the potential of the latest updates in the very near future. It feels like after his first win, Lando felt like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders and he was just driving freely. Hopefully, McLaren will soon turn the tide and start fighting for both titles.

SilviuAgo

Emag wrote:

Yes, Lando is sick and the bad part is that he looks worse than in Barcelona. On Thursday, when most were in t-shirts and shorts, Lando had long pants, a jacket, a scarf, a cap and a sick man's face.
So P2 with +0.09 is not so bad considering driver condition.