2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

jambuka wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 18:21
Sevach wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 18:17
jambuka wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:42
Now it’s pretty clear to me why Cardille is leaving. He knew the upgrades are not going to go well. If he really believed they are on course to be a championship contender he would stick around.
The guy cashed in right before he was about to start being questioned for his work.
IMO we will see the same with Vasseur if things don’t work out soon. I predict 2026 new tp
If he lands Newey i see a longer leash... If he doesn't...

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

deadhead wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 18:49
SoulPancake13 wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 18:48
According to Donadoni, the car was not expected to create bouncing at these speeds, meaning they likely produced more downforce than they thought. The Barca floor is a dud, a new one is needed ASAP.
This is really interesting because one would think that more DF from the floor is actually a good thing, but you are saying that it isn't?
Without bouncing, yes, more DF would be great. The issue is the technicians saw in the sim that bouncing wouldn't occur until they reached a certain speed, but with more downforce, I believe this speed is lowered, and so it didn't show up until they went on track.

yooogurt

Xyz22 wrote:
Considering that Leclerc was hopeful after sim work this week, i have the feeling that bouncing didn't appear there.
Frederic Vasseur also analyzes one of the problems affecting the SF-24 on the short Austrian circuit: “Undoubtedly, the bouncing doesn’t help. It was also present in Barcelona, partly due to tire overheating. We need to fix it, although I’m not sure if we’re the ones bouncing the most. But it needs fixing because it costs us a lot of time, even though quantifying it is impossible.”
FORZA FERRARI!

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

deadhead wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:
According to Donadoni, the car was not expected to create bouncing at these speeds, meaning they likely produced more downforce than they thought. The Barca floor is a dud, a new one is needed ASAP.
This is really interesting because one would think that more DF from the floor is actually a good thing, but you are saying that it isn't?
W13 had outrageous downforce due to low tunnels, but wasn't exactly competitive because of porpoising.

deadhead

SoulPancake13 wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 18:55
deadhead wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:
Without bouncing, yes, more DF would be great. The issue is the technicians saw in the sim that bouncing wouldn't occur until they reached a certain speed, but with more downforce, I believe this speed is lowered, and so it didn't show up until they went on track.
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 19:25

W13 had outrageous downforce due to low tunnels, but wasn't exactly competitive because of porpoising.
I understand now but there are two or possibly three teams now with a sufficient amount of downforce. It's a speculative guess, but the RB20 might be generating more downforce than the SF24, which does not result in bouncing.

What component of the car is responsible for keeping it stable?
Last edited by deadhead on 28 Jun 2024, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

dani5549
dani5549

deadhead wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 19:28
SoulPancake13 wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 18:55
deadhead wrote:

I understand now but there are two or possibly three teams now with a sufficient amount of downforce. It's a speculative guess, but the RB20 might be generating more downforce than the SF24, which does not result in bouncing.

What component of the car is responsible for keeping it stable?
Suspension has a great role in keeping the ride height stable

f1316
f1316

I just can't with this... Sainz being as far off as he was is very dispiriting and not even giving Leclerc a lap in SQ3 in the most batsh*t thing I think I've seen in a while. Worse is that he probably wouldn't have been any/much faster than Sainz anyway and the car is just not fast anywhere right now.

yooogurt

Sainz:
“I agree with Charles. Our problem is in the medium-slow corners combined – but I think the high-speed ones remain a weakness for us as well. I’m not a fan of the bouncing that is there and its effect on the tyres.

“It’s not so much a question of time because we can be as fast as McLaren or Red Bull, but I don’t like the effect it has on the tyres in qualifying or in the race.

When you enter the corners after you pay for it because you overheat, and in the race, you have to manage more in the high-speed corners. This is a small weakness but one that needs to be improved. Given that we are in the third year and we still suffer from a little bouncing.

I don’t think it’s something related to the setup, which has been more or less the same since the beginning of the year. We are adding downforce and we are not taking steps backwards, it is just others who are doing a great job in turn .”
FORZA FERRARI!

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

After Monaco, just when people started whispering about a title challenge, Ferrari became its 2022 version again. If this continues for the rest of the season, I only wish Leclerc makes a move to another top team.

I am pretty sure most teams would be happy to have him and I would rather see his skill set on full display at a team which does not sabotage him every other week. It must be quite disheartening for a driver of his quality to be getting out qualified by Lando Norris every weekend

codetower

Just got around to watching the SQ. This is beyond ridiculous now. Why does it seem to happen on Leclerc's side of the garage so much more often? They changed Binotto, Changed Rueda, Mekies, even swapping Xavi for Bozzi seems to make no difference. How are we any better off than we were under Binotto? His last year we finished 2nd in the constructors, and 2nd in the WDC with Charles on the podium in each of the last 4 races.

What was the issue with the engine? Did Charles accidentally shut something off? Was it something with the PU? And why was he sent out second to last?

jambuka
jambuka

codetower wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 21:56
Just got around to watching the SQ. This is beyond ridiculous now. Why does it seem to happen on Leclerc's side of the garage so much more often? They changed Binotto, Changed Rueda, Mekies, even swapping Xavi for Bozzi seems to make no difference. How are we any better off than we were under Binotto? His last year we finished 2nd in the constructors, and 2nd in the WDC with Charles on the podium in each of the last 4 races.

What was the issue with the engine? Did Charles accidentally shut something off? Was it something with the PU? And why was he sent out second to last?
sometimes the driver is also the issue. you could see george pushing the team to let them go as it was getting too close. was lec napping ? 30 sec early he would have been able to get a lap in

ing.

codetower wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 21:56

The question the team and Charles should be asking—unless it was his decision—is not why the anti-stall kicked in but rather what’s the point of leaving it so late to exit the pits? You just know there’s going to be a queue at the end of pit lane and if you have the slightest hiccup (say, the anti-stall kicks in, for example) or one of the nine guys out before you causes a yellow, you blew your chance.

And for what benefit—15 seconds of extra track evolution? There are still guys behind you on their out-lap that will be putting some rubber down regardless so why risk it doing what they did today. Just senseless decision making, I think.

ScuderiaLeo

jambuka wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 22:01
sometimes the driver is also the issue. you could see george pushing the team to let them go as it was getting too close. was lec napping ? 30 sec early he would have been able to get a lap in
It's the team's job during qualifying sessions to release the car and manage traffic. Leclerc doesn't manage his own traffic, nor should he. That energy should be spent driving and maximizing lap time, not stressing over whether or not Ferrari knows how to count if there's enough time remaining in the session. I highly doubt it was Leclerc's decision, but even if it was, the team should have told him to be quiet and go out. They literally have all the data in front of them to make these decisions (unlike Leclerc sitting in the car), they simply don't.

There's a fundamental problem in this team that hasn't been solved yet when it comes to strategy. They continually make the same errors when it comes to strategy and session management -- I thought for sure under Vasseur's guidance and the Montreal blunder it wouldn't happen again, but here we are.

Also it's hilarious how yesterday we were being told to expect a better weekend while today Sainz is saying they're happy with P5. And by hilarious I mean hilariously sad. I haven't lost all hope yet but if by Silverstone they still haven't found those supposed two tenths they were anticipating, I think we can safely assume it's just not happening.
Last edited by ScuderiaLeo on 28 Jun 2024, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Interesting...I watched Leclerc's onboard. The anti-stall system behaved like the regulations require. For F1TV timestamp purposes, the anti-stall activated at 57:11, just after Leclerc tried to move the car, and then turned the engine off at 57:21, exactly 10 seconds later, as required by the regulations.

I would like to see what Ferrari has to say.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 28 Jun 2024, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

ScuderiaLeo

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 23:02
https://i.postimg.cc/h4NYBTYW/image.png

Interesting...I watched Leclerc's onboard. The anti-stall system behaved like the regulations require. For F1TV timestamp purposes, the anti-stall activated at 57:11, just after Leclerc tried to move the car, and then turned the engine off at 57:21, exactly 10 seconds later, as required by the regulations.
After rewatching his onboard and re-listening to the comms, I believe his complaint was that even though the anti-stall triggered and he followed the usual protocol, it killed the engine instead of keeping it alive as it is supposed to. So it did give the normal 10 seconds, the system just didn't work from his perspective.

I don't think from our perspective we can tell if it's a driver, software, or PU issue -- we simply don't have enough information without seeing the exact inputs and the screen. It's funny to think it might be driver error but it's not like the anti-stall is some obscure feature and it's pretty obvious on the dashboard.