2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BosF1
BosF1

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

"I left the door open, like an amateur" - Lando Norris post-sprint

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

billamend wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 12:30
Oscar cost the team here… He is free to fight, but he should have been smarter.
I don't know if Lando could have taken the inside line because of the DRS overspeed, he might have locked more worse than Verstappen did. I agree with billamend, thats not a comment about Oscar being a number two. The correct thing would be to have allowed Lando to attack and correctly pass Verstappen and then follow Lando afterwards and or keep Verstappen under pressure and off Lando. DIfference between a 1-2 or at 1-3 at worst. I don't think Lando was trying too hard to get 2nd back, probably just hoping to force an error from Oscar and an easy pass and not to have to fight for it. I agree however in the sprint that team orders wouldn't make much sense. But in the times that Perez isn't there for Verstappen Oscar needs to play the team game and not just the Oscar game. Heck if he out qualifies Norris later and the roles are reversed then it should be expected to do the same.

CjC
CjC

Nice points. Work to do for tomorrow though
Just a fan's point of view

willmesquita

Great race by Oscar! Good to see him striking back from that bad last weekend. Great points for the team!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Emag
Emag

f1rules wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 12:37
Jezz relax, none of them would have gotten verstappen, lando tried and piastri gained, and they still got 2+3
Lando literally got Verstappen only to let him back past again, screwing himself over with Oscar as well.

I don't like blaming or putting unrealistic expectations on drivers, but when you're at fault you're at fault. He opened up the inside at the braking zone instead of keeping the line. Nobody overtakes from the outside in that corner unless they have a significant grip advantage.

So, please, let's call it as it was. Lando lost the sprint win, and Oscar on pure pace probably would have finished P3.
It doesn't change the fact that this was a good team result, but in the context of the WDC, Lando --- himself over.

Darth-Piekus

It doesn't really matter. The point difference was only 1 point. Tomorrow are the most points. Lando will learn from today and keep that inside line next time.

In my opinion as a car Red Bull on 100% is still faster than the 100% Mclaren. That will change though soon and Norris has the capability to win again on merit many times. If someone is to blame for the 70 points difference should be the team for not delivering that quick of a car from the beginning.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

I'm not suggesting that oscar did anything wrong. He simply collected what was on offer from the norris/ver squabble, correctly so.
I, just as most others know that ultimately oscar was never going to keep with max whereas lando certainly would have. I would have told oscar to allow lando through again and if lando can't get max before the end them to switch back.

The points difference is tiny so understandable really but if I'm on the mclaren pit wall I am far more wanting to gave the best chance to win the race then see our boys drop back and squabble over p2 and p3

billamend
billamend

I hope McLaren does not let this happen again. If they want to fight for WCC and WDC, Oscar has to be smarter… Every point counts!

Slahinki
Slahinki

Mcl_G10 wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 12:46
I'm not suggesting that oscar did anything wrong. He simply collected what was on offer from the norris/ver squabble, correctly so.
I, just as most others know that ultimately oscar was never going to keep with max whereas lando certainly would have. I would have told oscar to allow lando through again and if lando can't get max before the end them to switch back.

The points difference is tiny so understandable really but if I'm on the mclaren pit wall I am far more wanting to gave the best chance to win the race then see our boys drop back and squabble over p2 and p3
Drivers should have been instructed not to fight from the beginning IMO. I get why they wouldn't want to do that and that it matters little because it's a sprint and not a single soul cares, but Lando being attacked by Oscar and forcing defensive moves isn't what's needed when Lando is chasing down Verstappen. If you do that in a grand prix, you're not winning it. And if you keep that up you can kiss any championships goodbye.

djos

billamend wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 12:48
I hope McLaren does not let this happen again. If they want to fight for WCC and WDC, Oscar has to be smarter… Every point counts!
What do you mean? Oscar did a brilliant job of exploiting Lando’s mistake! The kid is very clearly from the Prost mould, and didn’t make a single mistake.

The truth is that Norris needs to lift his game and not make mistakes.
"In downforce we trust"

Ben1980
Ben1980

djos wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 12:54
billamend wrote:
What do you mean? Oscar did a brilliant job of exploiting Lando’s mistake! The kid is very clearly from the Prost mould, and didn’t make a single mistake.

Did Oscar do a brilliant job? He finished over 4 seconds back, in a car many thought was comparable.

_cerber1

djos

Ben1980 wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 12:56
djos wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 12:54
billamend wrote:

Did Oscar do a brilliant job? He finished over 4 seconds back, in a car many thought was comparable.
He was fast enough that Lando couldn’t pass him.
"In downforce we trust"

chrisc90

MClaren guy doing interview with F1TV said deg was high.

'
Oscar drove a good race today. 1 point lost for Lando leaving the door open to Max without DRS cost him the place. Cant blame oscar at all IMHO.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 12:40
f1rules wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 12:37
Jezz relax, none of them would have gotten verstappen, lando tried and piastri gained, and they still got 2+3
Lando literally got Verstappen only to let him back past again, screwing himself over with Oscar as well.

I don't like blaming or putting unrealistic expectations on drivers, but when you're at fault you're at fault. He opened up the inside at the braking zone instead of keeping the line. Nobody overtakes from the outside in that corner unless they have a significant grip advantage.

So, please, let's call it as it was. Lando lost the sprint win, and Oscar on pure pace probably would have finished P3.
It doesn't change the fact that this was a good team result, but in the context of the WDC, Lando --- himself over.
I think that sentence is a bit of a leap, don't you?
You're making it sound as though the mckaren was 100% the faster car then redbull?. Even if norris would got past it wasn't in the bag. And even if oscar had let norris to try and go again at max then it's wasn't a given. I was simply meaning that from a 'let's win the race' viewpoint allowing norris to remain p2 after the error was the optimum team stratergy, even if slightly unfair on oscar.
But it's a sprint and oscar has the right to have moments to try to grow and fight himself to see what he has and grow his own experiences.