2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Lando is ahead of Oscar on the development curve - which you will do with over 100 Grand Prix.

However, Lando let Max back in despite having DRS when ahead- he defended the wrong side and paid the price. Let’s not blame Ozzy for that.

Oscar raced well, frustrating he couldn’t get Max but Max is awesome around here.

It’s a VERY good sign our guys are 2 and 3 and close together. Suggests the package is strong.

Strategy absolutely huge tomorrow- hopefully the lads can grab top 3 in quali and its game on again.

Anything you think they will tweak set up wise on the back of Sprint learns?

Darth-Piekus

Big question of the day. We all know both Max and Lando are pushing the car to the limit. Is it the Red Bull car that is still a tiny bit faster or is Max that is making the difference?

Cause there are moments that Im starting thinking why not get Max to the team.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

djos wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 15:09
LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 14:42
djos wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 13:28

There was some tire management involved that made Oscar’s pace look worse than it was.

Let’s not forget that Oscar has beaten Max in a sprint race before, on merit, he has the pace.
No. What did he deserve for his pace? And what does Qatar 2023 have to do with it? It's the 2024 season now and Oscar doesn't have enough pace to finish. I don't mind that Oscar passed Lando when Lando made a mistake himself. But as I see it from the outside: Oscar should have started to put pressure on Max. And he didn't do that.

Do you think I don't want Oscar to perform better? It's in the team's interests.
Lando says they didn’t have the pace to beat Max, so you guys bashing Oscar for not keeping up with him aren’t being fair.
“But the pace was good. I don't think we would have had probably the pace to go with Max.

“I think he was maybe that little bit too quick for us today, but tomorrow's another day, and we'll try again.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/norr ... /10629076/
Let me explain briefly: I read the comments of both Lando and Oscar. Oscar himself said that he did not have the pace to keep up with Max. Lando said that towards the end he had good pace.
Did I say somewhere that Lando would have definitely passed Max? I just said that Lando had the pace to pressure Max, and Oscar did not.
Oscar drove more or less fast in the first races. Then he broke down and lost his pace. The worst was in Spain a week ago. I will be extremely happy if this kid can finally drive at Lando's pace. But so far he is not his equal.
Oscar is just trying to prove that he is not inferior to Lando. And Lando is trying to show that he is not inferior to Max. Do you feel the difference? Oscar passed Lando when Max took a more comfortable position at the exit of Turn 4. Oscar took advantage of this. And that's it. Do you think it was that difficult? Let him beat Lando and Max in a direct fight if you think he's that fast.

By the way, a week ago I stood up for the team, explaining very clearly why the offset was the best strategic decision. What is happening here is exactly what would have happened to Lando if he had not done the offset. Lando is catching up on the straights, and then losing everything in the corners.

At least Lando was pressuring Max. Oscar couldn't do that. If you can't see that, I have nothing more to discuss with you.

I'll add: Lando lost positions on lap 5. Then we stopped seeing the table on the left. There were 23 laps in total. So, in 18 laps, Oscar lost 4.5 seconds to Max. Where is the pace here? Or do you think that Lando would have lost those same 4.5 seconds at the finish?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 15:30
djos wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 14:42

No. What did he deserve for his pace? And what does Qatar 2023 have to do with it? It's the 2024 season now and Oscar doesn't have enough pace to finish. I don't mind that Oscar passed Lando when Lando made a mistake himself. But as I see it from the outside: Oscar should have started to put pressure on Max. And he didn't do that.

Do you think I don't want Oscar to perform better? It's in the team's interests.
Lando says they didn’t have the pace to beat Max, so you guys bashing Oscar for not keeping up with him aren’t being fair.
“But the pace was good. I don't think we would have had probably the pace to go with Max.

“I think he was maybe that little bit too quick for us today, but tomorrow's another day, and we'll try again.”
Let me explain briefly: I read the comments of both Lando and Oscar. Oscar himself said that he did not have the pace to keep up with Max. Lando said that towards the end he had good pace.
Did I say somewhere that Lando would have definitely passed Max? I just said that Lando had the pace to pressure Max, and Oscar did not.
Oscar drove more or less fast in the first races. Then he broke down and lost his pace. The worst was in Spain a week ago. I will be extremely happy if this kid can finally drive at Lando's pace. But so far he is not his equal.
Oscar is just trying to prove that he is not inferior to Lando. And Lando is trying to show that he is not inferior to Max. Do you feel the difference? Oscar passed Lando when Max took a more comfortable position at the exit of Turn 4. Oscar took advantage of this. And that's it. Do you think it was that difficult? Let him beat Lando and Max in a direct fight if you think he's that fast.

By the way, a week ago I stood up for the team, explaining very clearly why the offset was the best strategic decision. What is happening here is exactly what would have happened to Lando if he had not done the offset. Lando is catching up on the straights, and then losing everything in the corners.

At least Lando was pressuring Max. Oscar couldn't do that. If you can't see that, I have nothing more to discuss with you.
Lando was free to attack Piastri, if Norris had so much more pace than Oscar, he should have made an overtake and he didn’t.

Glad McLaren didn’t force orders to swap positions, the mental aspect in the sport is important and this P2 will help Oscar and the team more in the long run than the additional point for Norris.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 15:39
LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 15:30
djos wrote:

Lando was free to attack Piastri, if Norris had so much more pace than Oscar, he should have made an overtake and he didn’t.

Glad McLaren didn’t force orders to swap positions, the mental aspect in the sport is important and this P2 will help Oscar and the team more in the long run than the additional point for Norris.
And I didn't ask for team tactics. It's very warm in Austria today, and the asphalt is hot, or very warm. The tires wear out faster. And don't forget the dirty air. If Lando was second and Oscar was third, Oscar would simply fall behind Lando, and Lando would be much closer. That's just what I wanted to point out.

mclaren111

Let's Go Lando !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mwillems

The drivers and Stella saying we wouldn't catch Max, which is probably why Stella said afterwards that it would have been pointless to swap them around.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Doesnt matter guys. Lets get pole and go for the victory tomorrow. Max wont have the fastest car forever.

Emag
Emag

Might be slightly hotter today, but the gap is massive to Max.

mwillems

Were we on new or used?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

There are 6 new softs so they are on new every time.

organic

mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 16:35
Were we on new or used?
New tyres for everyone but Gasly and Ferraris in the first Q2 runs

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
Were we on new or used?
New. They might have seen excessive deg in the sprint and probably did some tweaks which might have screwed over the quali pace. They're a long way off.

Slahinki
Slahinki

mwillems wrote:
Were we on new or used?
New softs. Pace isn't looking like we can challenge for pole as of now.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 16:34
Might be slightly hotter today, but the gap is massive to Max.
Looks to me that Mclaren haven’t improved as well as the others
Just a fan's point of view