2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 17:33
mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 17:23
Mclaren challenging the call. Oscar says he was on the line and not in the gravel.

Looks marginal, I hope they made that call with a top down view otherwise it's just guessing.

What's the point of enforcing track limits in a corner wheren you've gone to the trouble to lay gravel?
https://i.ibb.co/vXTzRMP/3-B14-A0-A4-CD ... F7-FDA.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/7WwG14Z/0894-FE96-2254 ... B89-A2.jpg
He is over the white line though, so not much to protest.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

They probably should have moved the white line slightly wider here, just like they did in the corners where they added gravel.

But fine, I am sure the call was automatic and deserved. It will give us opportunity to have Piastri fight through the field and be able to focus on his fight with Verstappen and Russel.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 17:35
LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 17:33
mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 17:23
Mclaren challenging the call. Oscar says he was on the line and not in the gravel.

Looks marginal, I hope they made that call with a top down view otherwise it's just guessing.

What's the point of enforcing track limits in a corner wheren you've gone to the trouble to lay gravel?
https://i.ibb.co/vXTzRMP/3-B14-A0-A4-CD ... F7-FDA.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/7WwG14Z/0894-FE96-2254 ... B89-A2.jpg
He is over the white line though, so not much to protest.
Like in football, the whole tyre/ball has to be over the line which we can't see from these angles.

I'm used to this debate on football where it looks clear and obvious the ball has gone out, but when looked from above it is easily in. The curvature and angles being deceptive.

It may well be out, but I'd like to think they had an overhead shot.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Not a good job by McLaren though. All top teams managed to find more time than them from yesterday.

Actually McLaren found nothing. That was just Lando hooking up a slightly better lap than yesterday.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 17:43
Not a good job by McLaren though. All top teams managed to find more time than them from yesterday.

Actually McLaren found nothing. That was just Lando hooking up a slightly better lap than yesterday.
Maybe you have tuned in for less tire wear in the race.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:

I'm wondering if they maybe moved a bit toward race setup? You can overtake here, why not make car a little bit better in the race.

Or at least I hope that is the reason they couldn't follow Verstappen in pace.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Perhaps they sacrificed some 1 lap pace to play the longer game tomorrow with degradation.

CjC
CjC

I think everyone changed their car.
I believe the laser scanner was set up at McLaren pre-quali does that indicate quite a large change in set up of such a tool is required?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

I don't think we are set up for the race more than others. Amongst other changes that would include more downforce.

In this qualifying session Max has actually matched the Mclaren in the lower speeds and increased the gap at higher speeds. He's faster than us on every straight and corner apart from turn 4.

I am afraid that they are just have a much better car in this session.
Last edited by mwillems on 29 Jun 2024, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:

And yesterday you told me that if Lando had driven his first sector faster... but the main loss occurs in the third, where Lando loses more than two tenths compared to Max. There is no talk of thousandths.

I hope there will be telemetry, or maybe it already exists. I need to search and compare fast laps.

Maybe McLaren decided to reduce the wear on the tyres, I have no idea why the car has such a speed deficit. But it feels like we have lost some top speed.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 29 Jun 2024, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:24
Emag wrote:

And yesterday you told me that if Lando had driven his first sector faster... but the main loss occurs in the third, where Lando loses more than two tenths compared to Max. There is no talk of thousandths.

I hope there will be telemetry, or maybe it already exists. I need to search and compare fast laps.

Maybe McLaren decided to reduce the wear on the tyres, I have no idea why the car has such a speed deficit. But it feels like we have lost some top speed.
There is.

It's bad.

We're slow.

Comparatively 😂

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Everyone else found 3-4 tenths. How come Mclaren didn't improve?
A lion must kill its prey.

Emag
Emag

LionsHeart wrote:
Emag wrote:

I didn't tell you anything. I just speculated that if he were to get a sprint pole, he would have had to do it in the first sector. The only place he was slower than Oscar.

Completely unrelated with what happened today. As I said, McLaren found nothing over yesterday and Max is ahead by a landslide.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:30
LionsHeart wrote:
Emag wrote:

I didn't tell you anything. I just speculated that if he were to get a sprint pole, he would have had to do it in the first sector. The only place he was slower than Oscar.

Completely unrelated with what happened today. As I said, McLaren found nothing over yesterday and Max is ahead by a landslide.
There was nothing to assume. Red Bull is faster and it was already evident yesterday.
The big losses start in the second sector, but even more in the third. Lando was 0.17 seconds behind in the first two sectors, and 0.225 seconds in the third. Turns 9 and 10 are just awful.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 29 Jun 2024, 18:35, edited 2 times in total.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:29
Everyone else found 3-4 tenths. How come Mclaren didn't improve?
Could be that they're limited more by the overheating tyres here. Or they went more towards race pace than others

I think Norris did a very good lap for sq3 whilst not optimal in quali which can make up for some of the delta

Merc and Ferrari said they were much slower than expected in quali, so I think they had a lot to gain with setup changes