2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Personally my problem stands with the FIA and their antiMclaren standards when it comes to penalties. Last week both Stroll and Leclerc used their cars as weapons to do deliberate damage and the stewards deemed that a simple reprimand despite all this was done on live camera. In Monaco Sainz was gifted 3rd place on the restart despite driving into Piastri and despite him stopping. At Canada if I remember correct Sainz never got a penalty for a worst impeding situation than Piastri in Imola. Sainz also escaped lightly after destroying the race of Piastri in Miami. And let me not open pandora's box of Max sending others to the parking lot, sending others off the track in dive bombs, passing dangerously inside the pits, driving unnecessarily slow, trying to punch Ocon in Brazil etc etc. Or Red Bull breaching the budget gaining an unfair advantage that holds till today when Mclaren was screwed royally from their spy scandal. I want fairness which I dont see.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 30 Jun 2024, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 11:29
Personally my problem stands with the FIA and their antiMclaren standards when it comes to penalties. Last week both Stroll and Leclerc used their cars as weapons to do deliberate damage and the stewards deemed that a simple reprimand despite all this was done on live camera. In Monaco Sainz was gifted 3rd place on the restart despite driving into Piastri and despite him stopping. At Canada if I remember correct Sainz never got a penalty for a worst impeding situation than Piastri in Imola. Sainz also escaped lightly after destroying the race of Piastri in Miami. And let me not open pandora's box of Max sending others to the parking lot, sending others off the track in dive bombs, passing dangerously inside the pits, driving unnecessarily slow, trying to punch Ocon in Brazil etc etc. I want fairness which I dont see.
There are different stewards involved in each case :D . It's easy to point finger vaguely at FIA but in this case that makes no sense; you think there's a grand conspiracy involving multiple circuits' stewards to hold McLaren back? Why would there be?

Darth-Piekus

Different stewards. And its a coincidence Mclaren always gets the punishing stewards.

organic

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 11:34
Different stewards. And its a coincidence Mclaren always gets the punishing stewards.
Negativity bias is one contributing factor to this perception.

So too is the fact that humans are very bad at perceiving randomness. Sometimes things can go against you one after another purely randomly. But it doesn't feel like this is random to us because our brains are wired to always look for patterns

Anyway Stella addressed the sprint

billamend
billamend

Not using team orders when the car is not much superior than the competition means that they don’t want to fight for championships. That’s the cold truth.

chrisc90

billamend wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 12:32
Not using team orders when the car is not much superior than the competition means that they don’t want to fight for championships. That’s the cold truth.
1 point would have been the gain for Norris.

The team maximised the results the best they could. P2 and P3. Only argument comes is whether Lando had the pace to pass Max again. Which would be unlikely considering he couldnt get past on much fresher tyres.

Its not a 2021 battle just yet. Oscar passed on merit - he deserves the position.

Far much more to be concerned about than inverting the positions for 1 WDC point given the rest of the operation.

Emag
Emag

billamend wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 12:32
Not using team orders means they respect their driver enough to acknowledge he got the position fair and square on track. It was a fuc*in sprint and Lando is over 70 points behind the wdc. What championship "battle" are they giving up?

Darth-Piekus

You mean 70 points. Lando got one more point for fastest lap. Still I dont think the car is equal to Red Bull for Norris to be able to beat Max. However we can get the constructors. Silverstone should be the next good upgrade that will solidify the car as 2nd best at worst by far. The distance is 93 points.

I've checked again and it seems that the 1 point for fastest lap only counts for races, not sprints.

organic

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 12:57
You mean 70 points. Lando got one more point for fastest lap.
no FL point in sprint. The gap in WDC is 71 now. Splitting hairs either way

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 12:57
You mean 70 points. Lando got one more point for fastest lap. Still I dont think the car is equal to Red Bull for Norris to be able to beat Max. However we can get the constructors. Silverstone should be the next good upgrade that will solidify the car as 2nd best at worst by far. The distance is 93 points.

I've checked again and it seems that the 1 point for fastest lap only counts for races, not sprints.
What one point for a fast lap are you talking about?! You were talking about this yesterday. In the sprint race, there is no bonus point for a fast lap, only in the main race.

Darth-Piekus

Yeah no worries. I noticed it.

mwillems

If Lando couldn't get past Oscar, I'm not confident he'd get past Max if he'd even catch him.

Swapping drivers was a waste of time in my view.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Seerix
Seerix

The thread is filling nicely with new armchair experts pointing at everything they consider an error and suggesting "better" options, loving it.
I guess it was to be expected with McL closing to the top.

If quali is anything to go by, P2 is the best to be achieved today, but who knows. Maybe Max won't be able to run those fast corners that quick without destroying his tyres. One can hope.

bauc

organic wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 23:51
chrisc90 wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 23:45
bauc wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 23:23
F@ckinnng FIA, joke decision against PIA...... this is ridiculous.
Would help if the team could succeed with the basics to start with.
I think it was not a serious protest, but one made on principle to get their foot in the door to at least discuss it with the stewards.

Why do I think this? Because the document says that you cannot even protest track limit violations, so the protest was inadmissible from the beginning even if they correctly addressed it and cited regulations etc.

That they didn't bother to follow proper procedure only makes sense if you consider that the appeal was not designed to succeed
Mostly due to the lack of consistency from FIA and the stewards, they've put gravel traps to impose physical track limits and now this.... s crew them!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Mansell89
Mansell89

Hoping Max’s perfection yesterday in quali might come with a compromise or cost of his long stint pace, but let’s see.

Lando could have been another tenth or so closer right without the slight T1 inside kerb ride?

Suspect we will have a SC somewhere with someone in the gravel at some point too, so a bit of fortune here or there and who knows.

We can definitely be aggressive with Oscar today.