2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spacepace

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:03
Spacepace wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:59
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:54

What is your point? The regulations have been changed since 2019 and the proof is Hulkenberg's penalty less than 24 hours ago is it not? Which precedent should be followed? The one from 2019, or the one from 24 hours ago? :?:
Hulkenberg ran his car straight to the limit of the track literally cutting off the track. Norris took the inside line
Hulkenberg was never outside the track.
He ran his car to the white line before the car could even turn. Norris was inside and ended up on the outside after the corner. Big difference

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spacepace wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:38
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:03
Spacepace wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:59

Hulkenberg ran his car straight to the limit of the track literally cutting off the track. Norris took the inside line
Hulkenberg was never outside the track.
He ran his car to the white line before the car could even turn. Norris was inside and ended up on the outside after the corner. Big difference
A lion must kill its prey.

Sergej
Sergej

second stint was ok-ish, not optimal but neither bad, Max lost also some time with backmarkers

last stint difficult to judge because he had used tyres vs new tyres for Norris, my impression though is that McLaren is faster towards the end of the race, this is a trend now starting from Imola

in hindsight another mistake was to save a hard tyre instead of a medium, among the top teams they were the only ones to do this so quite a big mistake

anyway, a quite positive weekend performance wise, despite what many thought I was right in thinking this would not have been a disaster, curiously I am less optimistic for Silverstone

organic

Sergej wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:56
second stint was ok-ish, not optimal but neither bad, Max lost also some time with backmarkers

last stint difficult to judge because he had used tyres vs new tyres for Norris, my impression though is that McLaren is faster towards the end of the race, this is a trend now starting from Imola

in hindsight another mistake was to save a hard tyre instead of a medium, among the top teams they were the only ones to do this so quite a big mistake

anyway, a quite positive weekend performance wise, despite what many thought I was right in thinking this would not have been a disaster, curiously I am less optimistic for Silverstone
Without the backmarkers and without the bad pitstop it would've put max at least 8s clear of Lando for start of stint 3. Even with the bad stint 3 with the used tyre I doubt it would be enough to lose the race. We will see about Silverstone but I assume it should be better than Austria with the high speed corners and efficiency importance. Hopefully upgrades are okay as well

Sergej
Sergej

isn't Silverstone quite bumpy ? also I expect a very strong McLaren through the high speed corners, but yes maybe superior efficiency of RB20 will come into play

obviously I was not taking into account the possible upgrades, I thought it was quite confirmed they will arrive in Budapest

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:59
Sergej wrote:

Without the backmarkers and without the bad pitstop it would've put max at least 8s clear of Lando for start of stint 3. Even with the bad stint 3 with the used tyre I doubt it would be enough to lose the race. We will see about Silverstone but I assume it should be better than Austria with the high speed corners and efficiency importance. Hopefully upgrades are okay as well
I don't know if final stint pace difference can be accounted for by the used tires. The Spanish GP final stint does not agree (ver had new, and was slower). Sure it didn't help, but I don't think this explains why Mclaren was faster at the end. Norris recovered 8-9 second margins in Imola and Spain in the final stint and it looked like he would do the same here because Verstappen said the tires had no grip. Every race cannot go like this. :?

Ver was also unlucky with backmarkers. He was losing a lot of time with backmarkers in Sector 3, but in the first part so he didn't get any benefit of DRS. Norris on the other hand was getting the backmarkers in the right places to get DRS.

They were also unlucky with the pit position because in addition to the slow stop, then they lost time waiting for Norris to pass. I think pitlane is reversed in Silverstone.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sergej wrote:
I'm not sure it was positive performance wise. I think they were flattered in qualifying because Norris was not feeling well and didn't do a great lap when Verstappen did a great lap. Mclaren did not improve their sprint qualifying speed in the main qualifying like everyone else so that was already an outlier.

The race itself was similar to previous races. Verstappen complaining at the ends of stints and the car having no grip. Hard compound continues to be a weakness as well. Why did they save 2 sets of the hards... :wtf: Knowing the characteristics of the car, they should not be saving hard compound tires in free practice. Why is this clear to me, and not them? All of the bad stints this year were on the hardest compound tire.

Sergej
Sergej

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 19:12
Sergej wrote:
I'm not sure it was positive performance wise. I think they were flattered in qualifying because Norris was not feeling well and didn't do a great lap when Verstappen did a great lap. Mclaren did not improve their sprint qualifying speed in the main qualifying like everyone else so that was already an outlier.

The race itself was similar to previous races. Verstappen complaining at the ends of stints and the car having no grip. Hard compound continues to be a weakness as well. Why did they save 2 sets of the hards... :wtf: Knowing the characteristics of the car, they should not be saving hard compound tires in free practice. Why is this clear to me, and not them? All of the bad stints this year were on the hardest compound tire.
well you were predicting an easy pole and win for Norris, so I think we can take some positives ! :)

car needs upgrades that's clear, but it wasn't the disaster someone predicted; saving hard instead of medium was a terrible mistake yes.

Wouter

He was asked by his compatriots from Sky Sports what this means for his friendship with Verstappen: "That depends on what he says.
If he says that he has done nothing wrong, then I lose a lot of respect for him.
If he admids that he was stupid and reckless and running in to me, then there remains a little respect."

Norris said more at Sky Italia:

“Max had already done things that were not allowed a few times before, but he was not reprimanded.
He seemed a bit desperate in his actions, not to let me pass. On the one hand, I'm not surprised, but I was hoping for a respectful fight.
I respect Max enormously, but there are times when he goes too far. And I felt like that today. It ruined my race and destroyed my car.”

"If Max doesn't come to me and apologize then this is where our friendship ends.
I don't have a problem with hard racing, but I do have a problem with dirty racing.
And with that Max has lost my respect. "
The Power of Dreams!

Dunlay
Dunlay

Lando is probably emotionally overwhelmed when he said that. It's never a friendship if it breaks with a racing incident.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Watched the race deferred live, hence late.

- RB20 final set up post-sprint, was faster in every corner/straight, but with no tyre life. Were Marko/Horner bluffing when they commented it was a setup change for 'race pace' ? Tyres were not even lasting the standard Pirelli-defined stint length.

- as I (many of us rather) suspected y'day, RBR going with 1M and 2H tyres was a gamble that either makes a 20s+ victory margin or barely manages to finish on the podium. The latter happened. In fact, the pitstop delay and losing the 7-8s 'buffer was down to the pressure felt by the team, from poor H tyre life and not having any fresh M for final stint.

- there is no excuse in the world that can justify VER's defense in turns 1,3,4. Members here who are trying to do so, kindly stop. You know the truth. We saw the 17yr old Max back again. This reminds me of footballer Zidane, who used to have episodes of volcanic fuse-blows without warning. People who are amazing with soaking up pressure, when the limit breaches, it can be a terrible release of rage. Gifted genius with a flawed EQ (typically a by product of bad childhood experiences)

Wouter

"I did nothing wrong. He [Max] was the one in the wrong."

Lando exceeded tracks limits, got a penalty for it and was still dive bombing three times!
Lando kept driving with puncture on full speed to the garage and destroyed his car himself!!
Further they both did something good and wrong, but Max is a bigger men not to blame Lando immediately.
Last edited by Wouter on 30 Jun 2024, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Sergej
Sergej

on another note, had Max some problems with the 8th gear ? I read something about it on X but didn't find details.

Sieper

I don’t think he has a problem with the 8th gear, it is something around high revs and downshifting I think.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Without DRS, top speeds are much lower so higher RPM in 7th might be better than lower RPM in 8th for the energy recovery. Maybe that makes MGU-H or MGU-K harvesting more optimal.