2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SKYnRacing24

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Didn't he damage it while going over the turn one sausage curb racing sainz. Ironically he did the same a few years back at the same corner. If thats the case, why didn't Russell have any damage if both cars were setup too low ?
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 20:34
Didn't he damage it while going over the turn one sausage curb racing sainz. Ironically he did the same a few years back at the same corner. If thats the case, why didn't Russell have any damage if both cars were setup too low ?
Russel's car was not as low as Hamilton's if you watched qualifying. Correct me if I'm wrong but someone said the damage was from T8.

Lasssept

Luscion
Luscion

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
His damage was reported around 28 laps into the gp from the curb at turn 8, very long after that incident with Sainz which was lap 1.

Toto Wolff
“On top of that, we had floor damage because of the kerb ride, which I guess most people have but his was extensive.

“It was two and a half tenths in parts that broke off on the kerb. So no reason to be angry or upset about it.”
so like AR3 is suggesting, very much seems like he had a lower ride height

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1051576/1 ... ns-bad-day

SKYnRacing24

Luscion wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 21:02
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
His damage was reported around 28 laps into the gp from the curb at turn 8, very long after that incident with Sainz which was lap 1.

Toto Wolff
“On top of that, we had floor damage because of the kerb ride, which I guess most people have but his was extensive.

“It was two and a half tenths in parts that broke off on the kerb. So no reason to be angry or upset about it.”
so like AR3 is suggesting, very much seems like he had a lower ride height

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1051576/1 ... ns-bad-day

Appreciate the research mate. Curb at T8 sucks man. Well all in all it was damage limitation so P4 isn't bad i guess
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Any words about upgrades at Silverstone race?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Formula 1 fan wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:02
Mercedes always has updates in Silverstone. It's somewhat of a team tradition. I would expect so. Toto wolff also said they expect to be stronger in Silverstone than Austria, fwiw.

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:06
Formula 1 fan wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:02
Mercedes always has updates in Silverstone. It's somewhat of a team tradition. I would expect so. Toto wolff also said they expect to be stronger in Silverstone than Austria, fwiw.
Okay, thank you for information.

Venturiation
Venturiation

It had floor damage + sidepod damage by sainz

Luscion
Luscion

Venturiation wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:27

Bono said damage at turn 8 to the floor so all the damage happening there wouldnt make sense, or maybe Bono got it wrong

also

Luscion
Luscion

https://imgur.com/a/GeD9qV8

Not the best quality video but, this is the start of the race, doesnt seem like they make any contact at turn 1 before Lewis goes over the curb which Piastri and one of the Haas go over as well, does look like they make contact on the run down to turn 3, maybe someone sees it differently than me

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

The Red Bull and McLaren are faster than the Mercedes. So George Russell had to beat Perez and Piastri to get this win. Fully deserved and anyone who doesn't think George is ready to lead is kidding themselves.

ismail1991
ismail1991

It is very shocking to read some of the comments here being made against Lewis. George won the race all of a sudden, everybody is like George is amazing better than Lewis. Last race when Lewis beat George, then George would never be team lead. Guys George today inherited the race win, he didnt win it by overtaking Lando and Max. He drove a good consistent race. For Lewis, he is not happy for a year, everybody can see it. Even when he get podiums last year, the team didnt show up for him. In the era of F1, no team gave the same treatment to the driver who is leaving. I am not sure whether he gets the same treatment or not now, nobody knows. However, he didnt forgot how to drive. He pushes hard maybe sometimes too much. He damaged the floor on the qualifying as well, maybe the patch repair job done for the race didnt last long during the race. He did his best to bring the car home for the solid p4 considering the floor damage and big hole in the sidepod. If Piastri didnt lose so much time in the first lap and then trying to overtake Lewis, he could easily win the race. Mercedes car is clearly behind Mclaren and only slightly in front of Ferrari. I hope Silverstone upgrade would be good and a good set-up without tire temp issues can be made for both drivers in Silverstone

PlatinumZealot

Luscion wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:39
Venturiation wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:27

Bono said damage at turn 8 to the floor so all the damage happening there wouldnt make sense, or maybe Bono got it wrong

also

That massive damage to a sensitive part of the car. With the pace he had hustling George it might have been win No. 104.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Dunlay
Dunlay

ismail1991 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 02:19
It is very shocking to read some of the comments here being made against Lewis. George won the race all of a sudden, everybody is like George is amazing better than Lewis. Last race when Lewis beat George, then George would never be team lead. Guys George today inherited the race win, he didnt win it by overtaking Lando and Max. He drove a good consistent race. For Lewis, he is not happy for a year, everybody can see it. Even when he get podiums last year, the team didnt show up for him. In the era of F1, no team gave the same treatment to the driver who is leaving. I am not sure whether he gets the same treatment or not now, nobody knows. However, he didnt forgot how to drive. He pushes hard maybe sometimes too much. He damaged the floor on the qualifying as well, maybe the patch repair job done for the race didnt last long during the race. He did his best to bring the car home for the solid p4 considering the floor damage and big hole in the sidepod. If Piastri didnt lose so much time in the first lap and then trying to overtake Lewis, he could easily win the race. Mercedes car is clearly behind Mclaren and only slightly in front of Ferrari. I hope Silverstone upgrade would be good and a good set-up without tire temp issues can be made for both drivers in Silverstone
As much as it sounds ridiculous of the criticism to Lewis, it's equally ridiculous to be downplaying George's performances! Woulda, coulda, shouda... doesn't work. If Oscar was a Senna, he would be 3 time WDC. If my granny had balls, she would be my grandpa. How long are we going to see reasons and excuses being churned out in defence of Lewis? Every weekend for 3 years in a row, there is some external reason and it isn't Lewis. If Lewis still hasn't learnt how to avoid contact at the start, it's really silly. That damage was his own doing. Going off the pitlane entry and getting a penalty, was his own doing. Sliding off track and getting floor damaged, was his own doing. If not for Max and Lando taking each other out, he wouldn't be 4th and George would still be on podium (woulda, coulda, shouda?)!

It's very natural that the team would not be taking his directions for the car development and he is going to end up behind George for the rest of the season for most qualifyings and races, even if his hardcore supporters want to ignore his age, which is also a big reason for the draining of performance. It's sad to see him in this situation. A supreme talent that entertained us like very few, is on the sunset and struggling. When Schumacher struggled at Mercedes for 3 years, it was a similar feeling. On his part, he was not just old, but was out of touch for 3 years that had taken out most of the sharpness from his reflexes. There will be Lewis' detractors who would use this as an opportunity to kick, but so long as Lewis continues in F1, this is unavoidable.