2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 10:25
CjC wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 09:57
They just need to move on.
Max got a penalty so he was at ‘fault’

Get your head down, upgrade the car and do the talking on track.
Whinging about Austria isn’t really the best was to prepare for Silverstone
Do you think the person who designs news on Twitter is also the one who designs, manufactures, and assembles parts? The news was correct. There was nothing wrong with it. Telling the truth should not cause a feeling of shame.

The people at the team factory develop the updates and bring them to the track as soon as they are ready. Don't worry about that. And about the team having to respond on the track: that's what Lando did. He didn't dodge Max's mixing and squeezing again. That's the only way to put Max in his place. Otherwise, he doesn't understand. Now let him think about it.

The thought often came up here that Lando wasn't ready to fight Max yet, that he didn't have enough pace to simply attempt an overtake, that he wasn't Max's equal. Lando made a couple of attempts, expressed his dissatisfaction with Max's driving. And then he went on a hard attack. The constant attempts to put pressure on Max in itself already indicate that second place is not enough for Lando. He wants to win and did everything necessary to achieve this.

Or that Lando needs to draw conclusions about how Max defends himself. Only people don't seem to understand that Lando knows all of Max's dirty tricks. And he already proved it in iRacing. And the same thing happened there - Max brought his defense to contact.
No, I certainly do not think the social media people do the design and engineering of the car.

It’s a team sport though and it’s all about the collective feeling/ morale.

Any negativity/ ill feeling posted on social media will be felt all the way down to the shop floor.

Like I say, the team should stop worrying about how Max drives, the goal is to develop a car that thrashes Red Bull and Verstappen so the need to go wheel to wheel with him isn’t necessary
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 11:27
LionsHeart wrote:
CjC wrote:

Do you think the person who designs news on Twitter is also the one who designs, manufactures, and assembles parts? The news was correct. There was nothing wrong with it. Telling the truth should not cause a feeling of shame.

The people at the team factory develop the updates and bring them to the track as soon as they are ready. Don't worry about that. And about the team having to respond on the track: that's what Lando did. He didn't dodge Max's mixing and squeezing again. That's the only way to put Max in his place. Otherwise, he doesn't understand. Now let him think about it.

The thought often came up here that Lando wasn't ready to fight Max yet, that he didn't have enough pace to simply attempt an overtake, that he wasn't Max's equal. Lando made a couple of attempts, expressed his dissatisfaction with Max's driving. And then he went on a hard attack. The constant attempts to put pressure on Max in itself already indicate that second place is not enough for Lando. He wants to win and did everything necessary to achieve this.

Or that Lando needs to draw conclusions about how Max defends himself. Only people don't seem to understand that Lando knows all of Max's dirty tricks. And he already proved it in iRacing. And the same thing happened there - Max brought his defense to contact.
No, I certainly do not think the social media people do the design and engineering of the car.

It’s a team sport though and it’s all about the collective feeling/ morale.

Any negativity/ ill feeling posted on social media will be felt all the way down to the shop floor.

Like I say, the team should stop worrying about how Max drives, the goal is to develop a car that thrashes Red Bull and Verstappen so the need to go wheel to wheel with him isn’t necessary
And here I completely agree with you. This is already the full responsibility of the team. And I am sure that this year there will be at least a few more victories.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

willmesquita wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 11:11
LionsHeart wrote:
CjC wrote:

I coudn't agree more, there are many ways to win races now and one of them is increasing stewards awareness over Max's tactics.

One thing about Austria that puzzles me is that +5s to Lando when he loses so much time going off track. McLaren need to stand up against bad stewardship. Teams need to put pressure over FIA to get better consistency.
Before the weekend, when I posted the track changes here, someone replied that he didn't remember McLaren drivers having issues with track limits. I replied that it affected everyone, not just McLaren drivers. And lo and behold, Oscar's lap time was cancelled in main qualifying, and Lando's in the race for 5 off-track runs.

I don't have time to watch the race onboard yet. I'd like to know if Lando was warned that he was being investigated for the track limit. If not, that's too bad. In that case, Lando might have been content with second place. If Lando knew, then he was sure that if he passed Max, then in the clean air he would have time to go further than 5 seconds. However, I personally am not sure about this.

It is also worth admitting that if the track had been more finished in terms of the gravel area, then Oscar would have simply not driven beyond the white line and would have started third and in the event of contact between Lando and Max, he would have taken the victory. No matter how you look at this situation, it affected the team's results in any case.

There is another interesting moment that I watched yesterday. On Russian YouTube, one person did an analysis of the entire race. And there the author says the following, that if gravel is returned to the Т3, then this will solve the problem with going off the track. It turns out that there used to be gravel in T3. In that case, drivers would drive less when attacking and defending, since any mistake would lead to going off the track into gravel, as happens in T4.

In one of Lando's attempts to attack, we see Max, instead of crossing the line, continue to drive to the left of Lando and go off the track, not giving up his position. If there was gravel there, Max would not have done that. He gave Spa as an example. Now there is no asphalt at La Source. Now there is gravel and no one goes off the white line anymore.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

He was told about the track limits when he got the black and white flag. I think it was for T1.

BMMR61

Although all this post crash talk four days on is a bit negative I would have liked McLaren to put a formal request to the FIA for clarification on several of their adjudications and inaction. OK the way the gravel strips didn't eliminate visual judging of violations has to be put in the past though it's a disappointing failure of the innovation.

But, why was Max regaining the lead while completely off the track, not under investigation?

And, has the FIA decided not to worry about the moving in the braking zone rule?

Having a team bias one always tends to remember the injustices and bad luck. But Lando got penalised some while ago for "unsportsmanlike driving" when he dropped a couple of seconds back from Oscar to avoid a double stack squeeze which most thought harsh. The FIA used to publish track limits visual evidence of guilt, did I miss the ones that cost Oscar likely victory. The only shot of Oscar's violation was from the outside of the curve, hardly convincing. It just feels like McLaren come out of it all with the harshest interpretations.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 12:03
He was told about the track limits when he got the black and white flag. I think it was for T1.
Ok, thank you. The disappointment from the end of the race was so strong that I can't even remember some things.

mclaren111

Ben1980 wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 23:32
Fair play to Mclaren. Take it to them all. Just shutting up and moving in, is being a carpet.

If you expect this sort of thing to happen again, set your stall out, put it in people's minds.

Fire with fire.

Love it.

Agree... Give Them Hell... :mrgreen:

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 13:04
Although all this post crash talk four days on is a bit negative I would have liked McLaren to put a formal request to the FIA for clarification on several of their adjudications and inaction. OK the way the gravel strips didn't eliminate visual judging of violations has to be put in the past though it's a disappointing failure of the innovation.

But, why was Max regaining the lead while completely off the track, not under investigation?

And, has the FIA decided not to worry about the moving in the braking zone rule?

Having a team bias one always tends to remember the injustices and bad luck. But Lando got penalised some while ago for "unsportsmanlike driving" when he dropped a couple of seconds back from Oscar to avoid a double stack squeeze which most thought harsh. The FIA used to publish track limits visual evidence of guilt, did I miss the ones that cost Oscar likely victory. The only shot of Oscar's violation was from the outside of the curve, hardly convincing. It just feels like McLaren come out of it all with the harshest interpretations.
There are many grey areas that stewards can use during races. Also, stewards change every time. Does every steward know all the rules of the sport? And is a steward obliged to know the rules by heart? There are many questions for them, as well as for the FIA. In order to avoid double standards in the future, it would be useful for the team to bring such events up for discussion.

After all, if what Max does is legal, then the rest can also take a tough approach to Max. And then I will see how Max sings. Although it was enough for me when he was unhappy with the fact that Lando changed trajectories many times during the attack. But this is not prohibited for the attacker. So Max was unhappy with Lando using a dive bomb. Excuse me, but Max himself defends himself so desperately that he forces Lando to resort to a dive bomb. Moreover, the day before, Max himself used a dive bomb against Lando. On this basis, one can quickly conclude that Max is not entirely honest and consistent.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

BMMR61 wrote:

I could be wrong but I think they usually allow the defending driver to keep that position even if he goes off track. I think there has been previous precedent about this (probably 2021).
BMMR61 wrote:

I don't think there McLaren is treated any different but I think some teams and drivers are willing to exploit the rules more. Verstappen steaming ahead off track to keep the position is exactly that kind of move.

It is obvious they are very reluctant to make any decisions that can affect the race if there is no collision.

In my opinion,
1. Verstappen needed to get black and white flag for his moving under braking when Lando first attack.
2. Norris should have got black and white flag when he divebombed and out braked himself (instead of track limit violation). In this situation, maybe Verstappen needed a reprimand as well because he started to move under braking when Lando divebombed.
3. His second divebomb is currently allowed by the rules - but I would change that rule so they have to always leave enough space. But if the rule was changed, this would be a penalty but most likely Lando wouldn't brake as deep. Currently you are incentivized to divebomb and then run to the outside so the defender can't keep the outside line. Ridiculous.
4. And in the end, Verstappen would get a penalty for squeezing/crash.

Emag
Emag

I think this has received far too much attention at this point. It's a shame it ended that way and I was also angry for a brief moment after the race, but what's done is done now. It hardly changes anything in the big picture. The truth of the matter is that McLaren showed up to the party late again. They should have started the season with the car they brought to Miami in order to be in it now. And it's not like they even have a clear advantage over RedBull.

Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses, and results are being determined on how well each team is taking advantage of their respective strengths while exploiting the opponents weaknesses. Which, unfortunately for McLaren, they haven't been able to get the better end of the stick at the last couple of races. Let's be honest here, there probably wasn't even gonna be a battle on track if RedBull hadn't messed up their pitstop at the end there. Max had a small margin on the first 2 stints.

As for the incident itself, It's hardly surprising and by Max's old standards it was rather tame actually. I am not sure if he assumed Max was going to be any less aggressive just because of their presumed friendship, but Lando should have expected him to be like that.

If he goes the mature way about it, he lets it go and learns from it. Next time use his recklessness to your advantage. Beat Max by outsmarting him on track and you get far more satisfaction compared to sh*tstirring online.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

LionsHeart wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 12:03
Ok, thank you. The disappointment from the end of the race was so strong that I can't even remember some things.
I am not sure if it was broadcast but it was definitely in one of the highlights videos about it.

Darth-Piekus

In the meantime I feel so annoyed seeing some people justifying dirty driving and blaming the whole incident to Norris. If the stewards have done their job better and sent Max to a small vacation of two races to cool off then perhaps Horner and them would have stopped talking.

All the FIA they managed to do now is create an explosive atmosphere by not giving actual punishments and they are coming to Silverstone now in the heart of England. What do you think it might happen?

Even better. What's stopping Mclaren apart from the moral high ground to use Oscar as a kamikaze against Max since most of them are racing incidents or 10 secs at most.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I have another opinion. It's as old as the world. I don't know why I forget to write this every time. What do you think about the actions of stewards, when they can give a driver a fine for a small thing, say 10 seconds for a minimal offense, which could have been left unissued. And at the same time, the fight is for 18th or 12th place. And another case is when stewards do not take on the role of moderators, when the fight is for victory. At the same time, the fight for victory is tougher, more aggressive, sometimes desperate. But stewards are afraid of incurring criticism?

Who will choose what? Not to interfere in the fight between drivers so that the conditional "fight" continues, since this will increase the ratings of F1? Or strictly interfere in the fight if one of the participants in the fight for victory goes beyond the rules described in the sporting regulations?

And is it good that stewards consider some things after the session? And what do they do during the session? They have time to make decisions, let them make them during the session. They came up with a million rules and now they don’t have time to make consistent, correct decisions. I think that for the royal races of Formula 1, which is considered the fastest, stewards sometimes take a long time to make decisions.

The stewards could have quickly given a penalty to Lando, and also issued a warning to Max, if he ignores it, then issued a black and white flag. If that doesn't stop him, then give Max a drive-through.

Moderators, please do not delete this message that is not related to the topic of the forum thread. I would like to hear the guys' opinion.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Will Buxton had warned!

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Dunlay wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 16:29
Will Buxton had warned!

And yet the puncture was on the rear wheel.

The "spike" is not pointed outwards and it is more likely to cause a puncture on Mclaren as it faces the front tire.