NASCAR nationwide rear spoiler

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Re: NASCAR nationwide rear spoiler

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 08 Sep 2009, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Scotracer
Scotracer

And to anyone educated in engine technology it shouldn't be a surprise - particularly the BMEP. BMEP in naturally aspirated engines is pretty constant over anything from the average family car to my Honda B18C6 Type R engine or to F1 cars/other racers. That's why revs are the way to go - you can't improve torque in an N/A engine so send the thing into the stratospheric revs is how you get power.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Not a surprise no, but to get a big bore pushrod OHV engine running on carb to rev to 10k+ rpm is no small feat on its own....especially considering the common perception of the respective technology....

ISLAMATRON

I've nevr seen them run 10K+

but the 9.5K that I have seen them run is beyond respectable.

But they really need to upgrade the Formula, none of the manufacturers in the series make a 2 valves/cylinder head anymore, and definitely not carb.

They just last year switched away from leaded fuel.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

That's been discussed. There's certainly some talk of going to EFI.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Ray

ISLAMATRON wrote:I've nevr seen them run 10K+

But they really need to upgrade the Formula, none of the manufacturers in the series make a 2 valves/cylinder head anymore, and definitely not carb.

every make with the exception of Toyota do indeed make 2 valve cylinder head engines, but not with carbs. EFI would be a good step though. Crisper throttle response, better fuel economy and probably better power. But NASCAR would require evey team to use the same system, it would be rigidly controlled, and they'd still have huge crashes.

Shrek
Shrek

Ray wrote:

every make with the exception of Toyota do indeed make 2 valve cylinder head engines, but not with carbs. EFI would be a good step though. Crisper throttle response, better fuel economy and probably better power. But NASCAR would require evey team to use the same system, it would be rigidly controlled, and they'd still have huge crashes.
And they alsorun carbs because of simplicity and not relying on computers
Spencer

ISLAMATRON

Ray wrote:

You are totally correct, I was just thinking about the engines which are supposedly in the roadgoing version of the "on track" cars, but then I was even wrong with that because Toyota doesnt put a V-8 in its camry.

Ray

Don't know if you've heard Islamatron but NASACR is talking about putting new bodies on the cars that very closely resemble the Camaro, Mustang, and the Challenger. I don't know what Toyota would use though, maybe the IS-F? :lol: And all the domestics use pushrod V-8s but turn them the wrong way and they're driven from the wrong end. I sure hope to see real bodies on those cars come speedweeks. I'll watch Daytona but after that I could care less.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Ray wrote:

If F1 now can have all the cars running the same ECU, so can NASCAR who is used to much more rigid control on everything....