2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

On the plus side, McLaren are set up for the race. Merc are running more wing, they will be easy pickings in the drier conditions.

CjC
CjC

BMMR61 wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 13:57
LionsHeart wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 13:49
Even in these wet conditions, McLaren is making good time against Mercedes, who have a bigger rear wing. All I can say is that the overall balance of the chassis is more than capable of handling these conditions. But if there is more water, McLaren could lose ground to Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.
Dry qualifying and race would have put the team in a good position. Under the forecast conditions it's a lottery. Could be yet another missed opportunity. A good car but not getting a great run just yet.
Yea I’m always pessimistic but I feel too that Mclaren might have missed out on their best opportunities.
Now the Merc has locked out the front row I feel they are at least an equal to McLaren now so when ever Max struggles like today Mclaren don’t end up capitalising because a Merc is in the way.
Also with another update for Red Bull to come in Hungary and the lack of development talk from McLaren I can only feel Mclaren slipping back.

BUT to contradict myself, this was obviously a massively green track and will continue to be so and that plays into Mercedes hands which could skew the overall pecking order
Just a fan's point of view

SilviuAgo

Wtf was that??? Only apologize, both from Lando and Oscar after last lap in Q3. I am sick of this. Sorry about that, sorry mate, sorry for this etc etc. Put for God sake a good lap cause you are paid with 20 or 30 mio eur per year, more that all of us make in 10 lifes. So disappointed!!!

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 17:29
BMMR61 wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 13:49
Even in these wet conditions, McLaren is making good time against Mercedes, who have a bigger rear wing. All I can say is that the overall balance of the chassis is more than capable of handling these conditions. But if there is more water, McLaren could lose ground to Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.
Dry qualifying and race would have put the team in a good position. Under the forecast conditions it's a lottery. Could be yet another missed opportunity. A good car but not getting a great run just yet.
Yea I’m always pessimistic but I feel too that Mclaren might have missed out on their best opportunities.
Now the Merc has locked out the front row I feel they are at least an equal to McLaren now so when ever Max struggles like today Mclaren don’t end up capitalising because a Merc is in the way.
Also with another update for Red Bull to come in Hungary and the lack of development talk from McLaren I can only feel Mclaren slipping back.

BUT to contradict myself, this was obviously a massively green track and will continue to be so and that plays into Mercedes hands which could skew the overall pecking order
I'm a little surprised by the speed from Mercedes, but I think McLaren will be strong in the race. And points are still only awarded for the race. So far, so good.

Dimond
Dimond

Lando made too many mistakes on his last flying lap

Oscar started his final lap too close to Sainz and was losing a lot of downforce in dirty air

Emag
Emag

Yeah not good. Its going to be 3-4 races this year they could have won with better execution but it keeps getting snatched away from them.

Car had the pace for front row lockout today, if drivers put a good lap together in the end there.

I think they have better race pace than Merc but with potential rains, it might be a mess again so it might end up not mattering. They just make it so difficult for themselves.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I looked at the weather forecast. It promises 16 degrees Celsius at the start of the race, and the probability of precipitation is 34% at this point. The track should be dry. If the race goes smoothly, we will finish before the rain starts.

CjC
CjC

LionsHeart wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 17:31
CjC wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:

I'm a little surprised by the speed from Mercedes, but I think McLaren will be strong in the race. And points are still only awarded for the race. So far, so good.
To contradict myself further, Toto confirmed that the weather has helped them so far
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lando said the Mercs were fast on Friday. Maybe he knows what he is talking about.

And those disappointed with p3 and outqualifying Max, well don't be daft.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 17:41
LionsHeart wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 17:31
CjC wrote:

To contradict myself further, Toto confirmed that the weather has helped them so far
I am partly depressed because I expected more. But if you look at the telemetry in FP3, look at the speeds and times, then in qualifying everything was repeated to some extent. In this respect, everything is consistent. The main thing is that the race has a high pace and low tyre wear for McLaren. Then there is a chance to catch up with Mercedes and beat them. Red Bull is also nearby, so we must not forget about them.

organic

Ben1980 wrote:
Lando said the Mercs were fast on Friday. Maybe he knows what he is talking about.

Max shouldn't have been the competition today

Ben1980
Ben1980

organic wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 17:50
Ben1980 wrote:

Max shouldn't have been the competition today
Max is always the competition. He will be the competition tomorrow aswell.

SilviuAgo

What bothers me is the following:
1. McL 38 has now the pace to fight for, not say for pole, but for 1st line each race. And today was a missed opportunity considering how much Ferrari and Red Bull struggled.
2. Lando is still making a lot of mistakes when matters. Seems Spain was an exception and he got Pole.
3. Also Oscar made some mistakes this Q3 and is a rare ocassion when both our drivers make mistakes same race, same Q.
4. RedBull is not on top at Silverstone. But when an opportunity comes for McLaren we are miss it. As was the case last year in Singapore (RB struggling, Ferrari shining). In Australia this year the same. In Canada Ferrari and RB whit problems Mercedes was faster than us in quali. Now at Silverstone RB struggling again but we were beaten by Mercedes.
If McLaren want to be world champion or to be on pole or win races, at least this year or the next one, they need to maximise each opportunity and each time RB has some issues. If they are in this races behind Ferrari or Mercedes, and in the rest of them behind RedBull/Max, then we'll be the "forever" P2.

I hope that tomorrow things will change and I will eat my today's words.

Tomsky
Tomsky

McLaren is the slowest of those who used the drs

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Tomsky wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 18:28

McLaren is the slowest of those who used the drs
Frankly, I'm not surprised. But the team still has to solve this problem. And I hope that with the low downforce package it will be quite effective in the future. Now this is the main weak point of the car.