2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DiogoBrand

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

To me the main issue ATM is that McLaren is picking its strategy to avoid losing, rather than trying to win. That's why on both windows they waited for everyone else to stop, and why Norris used Softs instead of Mediums on the last stint.
When they realize the car they have and race to win, rather than to not lose, I think they can maximize the results.

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:50
Team were poor today. But whilst that is the headline, if Lando had not lost position to Max at the start then he'd also likely still be the winner. Improvement needs to be everywhere.
Stop making excuses, it's all the fault of the stupid strategists. At the start, Hamilton squeezed out a Landо.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Mansell89 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:49
Softs worked okay for Lewis and to be fair had the track have not dried so quickly they would have been the right call but the sun came and it was bone dry so quickly.
I do think Merc had a faster dry car, as did Red Bull. But, we have been good on tyres, maybe thought it would work.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:55
mwillems wrote:
Team were poor today. But whilst that is the headline, if Lando had not lost position to Max at the start then he'd also likely still be the winner. Improvement needs to be everywhere.
Stop making excuses, it's all the fault of the stupid strategists. At the start, Hamilton squeezed out a Landо.
It's a fact, poor move was one of the errors today.

You can choose to.ignore it if you're upset with the team, but it's still there and it's never going to go.
Last edited by mwillems on 07 Jul 2024, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Sergej
Sergej

I think they lost this race 2-3 times ! pit calls, pit executions, tyre strategies, what a mess ! I understand that they are not used anymore to fight for wins but they better re-gain confidence fast because they're wasting the potential of that monster of a car.

Ben1980
Ben1980

DiogoBrand wrote:
To me the main issue ATM is that McLaren is picking its strategy to avoid losing, rather than trying to win. That's why on both windows they waited for everyone else to stop, and why Norris used Softs instead of Mediums on the last stint.
When they realize the car they have and race to win, rather than to not lose, I think they can maximize the results.
Didn't they offer choices to cover Hamilton or Max, and went for the Hamilton option. Thar wasn't the defensive option, it turned out the wrong option, but it was the more attacking one.

CjC
CjC

I’ve been saying it for years, you have to compete in the fight you are currently in.
There might not be a next race, there might not be a next year.

Upgrades are a coming for Red Bull and Mercedes (not heard about McLarens plans)
Next race in Hungary McLaren could be clear third best- multiple seconds off the podium.

That what irks me the most about these missed opportunities
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:58
Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

You can choose to.ignore it if you're upset with the team, but it's still there and it's never going to go.
Maybe, but, we still took the lead regardless, and im not sure it would have had a massive impact.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:02
mwillems wrote:
Tomsky wrote:

Maybe, but, we still took the lead regardless, and im not sure it would have had a massive impact.
With the time he lost behind Max, he could have been several seconds ahead, which would have meant he would have been in front of Hamilton even with the crazy strategy calls. Yes, he did great later, especially in the changeable conditions, but like the pit wall, you have to be on it for the whole race.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:07
Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

With the time he lost behind Max, he could have been several seconds ahead, which would have meant he would have been in front of Hamilton even with the crazy strategy calls. Yes, he did great later, especially in the changeable conditions, but like the pit wall, you have to be on it for the whole race.
When he got passed Max, he was what 3 seconds behind Lewis. If earlier, it would have dependent on getting past both of them, which was not a given.

willmesquita

Mcl_G10 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:15
Swed3121 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:14
mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:13
Still number 1 in constructors points gain
Who cares?
I care
Me too
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:10
mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:07
Ben1980 wrote:

When he got passed Max, he was what 3 seconds behind Lewis. If earlier, it would have dependent on getting past both of them, which was not a given.
I thought it was more, but it was at least the same gap as there was the Hamilton when we rejoined on Softs. Let's park this until we can see what the gap was.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Piastri gained 10 seconds on Lando in that lash stint.
For me Lando should have won the race by 5+ seconds

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

And what's the point of bringing updates and making the car faster if you can't convert that speed into a win as a team? And this is not the first time this year and this is what I was talking about before the race. Mistakes from all sides at once. Well done everyone, what can I say.

I can't imagine when the team will learn to take risks and make tough decisions. And it's time to stop listening to Lando's words during the race. This is not the first time he loses a win due to his mistake in choosing the right moment to enter the pits or choosing the right tires during pitting. Now I can say that this reminds me a lot of 2021. There were enough mistakes on Lando's part and on the part of the team.

Lando missed out on three potential wins in 2021. And now the same thing is happening and I have the same thoughts and the same feelings. It's just unbelievable. It's time to clean up the strategists' department.

CjC
CjC

I think Landos post race interview on Sky sums up everything for me