2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
F1doc
F1doc

Re: 2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

The front of the race will get plenty of chat going. I'll give Hulk a shout out. He drove a solid race and brought it home in 6th.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

GrizzleBoy wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 15:54
AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 15:41
Mercedes and Mclaren should split strategy. One car on softs. One car on mediums.
I think merc need to not fight each other to have any chance.

George has the lower downforce setup and will get past as soon as DRS is activated even if Lewis jumps him at the start. That bickering will just put Lando on their butts, if he isn't already there anyway.

Lewis has higher downforce setup which will protect the tyres more in the high speed and will be better setup for following through them. If they really are faster, they need to use the advantages of their setups to try and make some progress before thinking about fighting.

However I am yet to see where the McLarens late stage tyre management has been matched by the Mercs.
Well, there it is then.

The Mercs on the same tyre, on the same strategy, absolutely hammered the McLaren in race pace and tyre management. That's a big moment for the team. Being able to do that against the team who are the only ones able to take wins from Max so far is a big one.

Whether it means anything on any other track, or even again is what will be proof in the pudding.

Also, Lewis' mid season surge continues its tradition.

basti313
basti313

Sevach wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:41
Watto wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:38
renault rs26 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:30

More on strategy and quicker tire change.
Lewis made the softs work a lot better then Lando tbh. Think he was managing the at the end. Which I think is hallmark Lewis in managing tyres
Lando absolutely cooked his softs.
I do not see it like this. The only chance for Lewis was to go aggressive and pass Lando on the outlap, or get the undercut. Lewis behind Lando on the same tire...no way to get past after the first lap after the stop. The rest was clinical by Lewis, I am looking forward to see the laptime chart, must be near perfection from what I saw in the live timing.

But, still....in the end McLaren/Norris have bottled it:
- Took Piastri out of the game. Would have been great to have two cars in the last stint.
- One lap too late on the last stop. But small error, just 1sec.
- Wrong tire, still no idea why they did not use the Medium. On the Mediums Lando would have won.
- Bad pitstop by Lando. He did not stop in the right place costing nearly 2sec. If he would have rejoined 1sec ahead of Lewis he would have won as well.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Mansell89
Mansell89

Fantastic race.

It really is an awesome circuit isn’t it. Possibly the best all round track on the calendar.

Drivers love it, fans love it, and it’s thrown up some great action.

Sevach
Sevach

Watto wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:49
Sevach wrote:
Watto wrote:

Lewis made the softs work a lot better then Lando tbh. Think he was managing the at the end. Which I think is hallmark Lewis in managing tyres
Agree.

I think McLaren butchered their pit calls today. Both Ostar in the first and Lando with softs in the last. But Lando also couldn't get the used softs to work anywhere near as well as Lewis. I think you have to pay a lot credit to Lewis for that - also pitted a lap earlier as per Max/RBR.
Mclaren had new mediums for him(probably the best tire, Piastri was flying), and allowed him the call of covering/matching Lewis with softs.
And a bad pit-stop.

Once he was behind after the undercut and bad pit stop, i think Lando just went beserk and cooked the tires trying to catch Hamilton.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Surprising call by Norris there. Mediums were always gonna be better with that many laps left.

Hamilton and Piastri were the drivers of the day for me. As expected, Hamilton had no problem keeping up with Russell despite the near two tenths separation in qualifying. Just biding his time, striking just at the right time and using the car to the max. Still he and Verstappen are the drivers you want in the car if you want the best chance to win championships.

Piastri drove like a master and made the right calls, just extremely unlucky today. Give him one more year and he is up there, all the time.

And Red Bull and Verstappen doing everything right again, showing why they win championships. Slower car, but managed to up the pace due to the right strategy.

Very surprised about the RB20 pace though. With Verstappens floor damage fixed, I expected that car to be the quickest. Now I start to believe we are set for a three team battle at all tracks. If we could only find a way to stop the coming rule change…

Bill
Bill

its remarkable how indifferent Max was when track was wet .he just sat back and watch the race.

TwanV
TwanV

What a fairytale race and result. Historic

Watto
Watto

Sevach wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:56
Watto wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:49
Sevach wrote:

Agree.

I think McLaren butchered their pit calls today. Both Ostar in the first and Lando with softs in the last. But Lando also couldn't get the used softs to work anywhere near as well as Lewis. I think you have to pay a lot credit to Lewis for that - also pitted a lap earlier as per Max/RBR.
Mclaren had new mediums for him(probably the best tire, Piastri was flying), and allowed him the call of covering/matching Lewis with softs.
And a bad pit-stop.

Once he was behind after the undercut and bad pit stop, i think Lando just went beserk and cooked the tires trying to catch Hamilton.
I think that too is where Max and Lewis are still superior under pressure under pressure in bringing their tyres into their window. Lando not quite there yet. Lando also was the cause of the bad stop to over shot the box by a decent enough margin.

No doubt if they had Lando on the mediums he was at worst 2nd maybe 1st. But have to credit Mercs call and Lewis making the softs work in the final stint.

renault rs26
renault rs26

TwanV wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:07
What a fairytale race and result. Historic
For some of us this was a nightmare result

InsaneX_Badger

Think Lando reminds me of pre-2018 Verstappen, right now he's a rough diamond but more experience at the front with this amount of pressure is what will make him great with the lessons he is learning. He is so so close to be able to do it week in week out and beat them

Spacepace

Norris is having a very serious and reflective post race interview in the driver pen while in the background Brad Pitt is acting for a scene for his movie. So weird

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sevach wrote:
Watto wrote:
renault rs26 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:30

More on strategy and quicker tire change.
Mclaren and Norris lost that race several times over. On a day like today, it was really clear what separates him and his teams from champions like Verstappen and Hamilton and Mercedes and Red Bull.

Norris folded on the first lap to Verstappen. Then he was stuck behind despite having the fastest car. Finally he cleared everyone and led the race, then together he and his team stayed out a lap too long before the switch to inters. Verstappen made the right call gaining crucial time that would pay in the final stint.

In the next part, Mclaren and Norris together stayed a lap too late switching to slicks. This cost them the lead of the race.

Norris's next mistake was over pushing on the soft tires after his pitstop. Together he and Verstappen were trading fastest laps straight out of the box while Norris was on a tire which would not take kindly to this kind of driving. Hamilton outlap was 3 seconds slower and his first push lap was 6 tenths slower than that of Norris. Expert tire management from Hamilton. Not so much from Norris.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 07 Jul 2024, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

Bill
Bill

i wonder if mercedes powered cars have gotten some behind the scene pu concessions.they seem all suddenly quick even williams who were backmarkers at the beginning of the season. ferrari has suddenly fallen back.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Bill wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:31
i wonder if mercedes powered cars have gotten some behind the scene pu concessions.they seem all suddenly quick even williams who were backmarkers at the beginning of the season. ferrari has suddenly fallen back.
It’s all aero. They have the drag of a lorry, an adjuster here or there on a flap is 10,20,30hp of drag, and it’s hard to separate what’s the PU from aero.