2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: 2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

Farewell win (if he doesn't win anymore) with Merc, that comes with an improved record and a brand new one, in what was a memorable race in ever changing conditions.

Not bad Lewis, not bad.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

clownfish
clownfish

renault rs26 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:16
TwanV wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:07
What a fairytale race and result. Historic
For some of us this was a nightmare result
Perez fan?

stonehenge
stonehenge

Can't believe I'm saying this, but there's a not-insignificant chance that Red Bull will have the 3rd quickest car post-summer break. What if he starts coming in 4th-5th regularly? That would make for one of the most interesting championships...ever?! Obviously, still most likely that Red Bull will bring enough upgrades to keep scoring podiums and that should be enough (at least for the driver's championship), but still an exciting scenario to think about. Seriously WHO would have thought it would even be a remote possibility at the beginning of the season?

Paa

stonehenge wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 20:04
Can't believe I'm saying this, but there's a not-insignificant chance that Red Bull will have the 3rd quickest car post-summer break. What if he starts coming in 4th-5th regularly? That would make for one of the most interesting championships...ever?! Obviously, still most likely that Red Bull will bring enough upgrades to keep scoring podiums and that should be enough (at least for the driver's championship), but still an exciting scenario to think about. Seriously WHO would have thought it would even be a remote possibility at the beginning of the season?
This is why it is so important how Max/RB can maximize the results of last few races, while Norris/McLaren can't.
Now the difference is 84 points, but it could just easily be around 50 right now if some tiny details go the other way around.

Luscion
Luscion

venkyhere
venkyhere

Aah there you are..
Didn't expect anything less from you... :D
Enjoy, you deserve to. A victory after 2½ years.
Well done Hamilton. =D>

stonehenge
stonehenge

Paa wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 20:11
stonehenge wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 20:04
This is why it is so important how Max/RB can maximize the results of last few races, while Norris/McLaren can't.
Now the difference is 84 points, but it could just easily be around 50 right now if some tiny details go the other way around.
Exactly right. If McLaren has the quickest car for the remainder of the season, they will kick themselves for the points they left on the table in these races. Makes for a super compelling championship IMO. Who can say how this will play out? Not me.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Was just wondering about whether Lando should have used the mediums or not.

Given that the soft tyres have the highest ultimate pace and that Max was basically almost immediately at a very similar pace to Lando, doesn't it mean that its most likely that the mediums would've:

A: Just let Max get closer quicker
B: Make Max and Lando spend longer battling as Max would've caught Lando at a time where he actually had better suited tyres to defend, with more life in them.
C: Let Lewis either sprint off with the higher overall pace and/or have even more tyre life left to manage the gap since he wouldn't have to push to stay ahead of another fast car on the same tyres?

I know hindsight is 20/20 or whatever, but I keep wondering if those mediums really would have just given Lando the win like that?

organic

Looking at oscar's pace on the mediums, Lando would've won had they fitted new mediums on the car

sport777
sport777

organic wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 21:23
Looking at oscar's pace on the mediums, Lando would've won had they fitted new mediums on the car
we can say if Lewis had worn hard shoes Norris would not have won, I’m sure Merc’s pace in the race was at least as good as McLaren’s, and at the beginning of the race even better

organic

sport777 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:10
organic wrote:
we can say if Lewis had worn hard shoes Norris would not have won, I’m sure Merc’s pace in the race was at least as good as McLaren’s, and at the beginning of the race even better
Hards Vs softs in those conditions wasn't an easy call to make though for Hamilton

Old softs Vs new mediums for Lando is an easy call however, as demonstrated by Piastri catching Hamilton by over 6s on the final stint

Tommy.G
Tommy.G

McLaren bottled it there by not putting the mediums on! Or rather Lando bottled it since it was his decision if I understood correctly by the radios

After Max overtook him I thought he would instantly gain on Lewis! But somehow Lewis managed to keep the gap up to 3 seconds until 1-2 laps from the end! Really impressive…

What surprised me the most was Max’s pace during the rain-slicks phase! I was expecting him to gain all the time back cause he’s quite fast in these conditions!

Thank God 2024 is now delivering race after race! I hope the second half continues like that!

Juzh

For the first time since 2020 copse was flat in the race. Verstappen did it a few times after he passed norris. Entry ~300 kmh, apex ~286 kmh.
Stowe at 235 km/h.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:17
For the first time since 2020 copse was flat in the race. Verstappen did it a few times after he passed norris. Entry ~300 kmh, apex ~286 kmh.
What causes them to scrub so much speed at the apex? Energy must be consumed somewhere. I wonder if you can compare how much speed each car dropped. I suspect the cars with a better front end scrub less.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 07 Jul 2024, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

organic wrote:
But looking at Landos pace on the softs..............that's what I'm saying. If the mediums were going to be faster, it would have been "slower in the beginning, but faster over the stint" type faster.

But dropping his pace to medium tyre levels would've just put him in Maxs clutches earlier on, with a more durable tyre to fight with Max with, putting even more of a buffer behind Lewis as they battled away.

Remember Lewis held Maxs lap advantage to just tenths for a crucial number of laps after he'd passed Lando. If Max and Lando ended up in a scrap due to having an even closer pace delta with mediums in the mix, that allows Lewis to both save more tyres and extend his lead without pushing.

Piastri was holding station behind Lando and if they didn't stop on that lap for inters he'd have been in front of Lando in a few corners such was the pace differential. Piastri.

Let's also not forget Lando putting himself out of the podium positions by turn three of lap 1 by battling with Lewis with Max right behind him.

Also accidentally hitting the front jackman after missing his marks in the last stop.

Not saying that the mediums couldn't have been a better choice, but there were such a list of factors that contributed to hsi final position.

Both Lando and his team definitely were their own worst enemies today, but the pace of the Mercs was still real today and was real in spite of Maccas mess ups, not because of them.