2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jurgen von Diaz

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:I really can’t see max leaving. There’s been far tougher years for him than this last handful of races.

Also, 1.5tenths is about the norm for an upgrade package. Unless it’s from Ferrari camp when it’s 2-3x that
It's not relevant to compare Max's times before championships. When you get a taste of success, after that, you aren't going to just hang around on the track just for loyalty to the team. Hamilton had enough of Merc within two years without success and jumping Ferrari which can't also promise success better than Merc.

organic

Marko (speaking about the Hungary update):
"It has to work. Otherwise it doesn't look good"
And Marko on max:
"There are clauses in Max's contract that make it possible - if certain things happen - to leave the team at any time."

Bill
Bill

the rules are structured such that no team can find big gains and dominate.teams at the top are finding hard to find gains.redbull can find perfomance on flexiwings and on improving their suspension.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Paa wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 13:29
Max has been with Red Bull since forever. Now they had 4-5 difficult races (possibly due to a FIA downgrade?) - in which period he still collected by far the most points and comfortably winning the WDC. And everybody talks about jumping ships right away. Isn't it a bit premature?
I don't think the current performance is the main reason for him (potentially) wanting to leave the team. I think the whole Horner situation + Newey leaving + (rumoured) '26 PU struggles all together might be the why he would consider jumping ship.

I know it's always going to be a gamble for 2026, but if I had to bet it would be on Mercedes followed by Ferrari.

Wouter

SILVERSTONE CIRCUIT
Formula 1 has changed a lot in 20 years. Join David Coulthard and reigning World Champion,
Max Verstappen, for a trip down memory lane as we drive the RB1 alongside the RB20 on track.

The Power of Dreams!

Sergej
Sergej

I think that considering leaving Red Bull is not that premature. We should consider that focus is not 2025, it's 2026, when the PU overhaul will mean you can easily find yourself completely out of win contention if your team fails the new engine regulation. Obviously we don't how RBPT work is really going on and surely Max will have a clear picture about this, but I think it's understandable that Mercedes, at least on paper, can offer better warrantees to nail the new PU; and a Mercedes seat could be not available anymore in 2025 for 2026, if Toto chooses to commit to Kimi, maybe it's a train you have to take now.

Cassius
Cassius

I have said it before. Max doesn't come across as an opportunist. The way he is loyal to his team, Marko, his friendship with Norris shows he will not make any opportunistic decisions. He knew what he was getting into and he and the team are showing they trust the process of developing an own engine. Whether the rumours are true or not, doesn't matter. There were almost 2 years to go when these rumours appeared. He is giving the team the trust and chance to prove they can build a competitive engine. If in 2026 they are massively behind without any chance of closing the gap in 1-3 years he might indeed move in 2027.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

If it’s only 1.5 tenths, Mercedes will surpass them this year and be ahead next year. Mercedes has much more windtunnel and CFD time. Mercedes also has introduced very few aerodynamic updates to this point and Wolff said a lot of performance is coming.

Performance in Hungary and Spa will set the future for the team. The position of both drivers will become clear.

3 tenths and there’s a good chance of keeping Ver for 2025.

Dee
Dee

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 15:39
If it’s only 1.5 tenths, Mercedes will surpass them this year and be ahead next year. Mercedes has much more windtunnel and CFD time. Mercedes also has introduced very few aerodynamic updates to this point and Wolff said a lot of performance is coming.

Performance in Hungary and Spa will set the future for the team. The position of both drivers will become clear.

It shows the scale of how much more Mercedes can improve if it is only now this year that they are getting a handle on the regulations imo

stonehenge
stonehenge

AR3-GP wrote:

If they bring 3 tenths I’ll eat my hat. At this point in the regs, that would be legitimately insane. Even 1.5 tenths is ambitious IMO given how little the recent Red Bull upgrades have brought. I agree with you that this will be a huge moment for the team. This needs to work.

Paa

It is much more complicated than that, we shouldn't get that ahead.

Not long ago people were afraid of Ferrari and their 4-5 tenths upgrades and see how it went. While Merc found significant performance from minimal upgrades.
It can very well happen that one of Merc's upgrades go south or RedBull will have an ahha moment and can mitigate it's issues without any upgrade.

Of course the opposite can happen as well, point is that's too early to speculate. Performance shifts are too turbulent right now.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Yes the upside is that Red Bull manages to achieve this performance with a car that has more flaws than the others. So in theory they have a lot of potential. I think Horner’s diminishing returns talk is just PR. It’s much more complicated.

One of the biggest issues is tire degradation which doesn’t have a 1:1 correlation to laptime. It tends to make races much worse than a simple 1 tenth performance deficit.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Paa wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 17:14
Of course the opposite can happen as well, point is that's too early to speculate. Performance shifts are too turbulent right now.
Seriously, the only lesson people should have learned in terms of predicting the future of the competitive picture is that it's not predictable.

That said, without Adrian Newey in the picture anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if Red Bull cannot continue with adding sure-fire performance upgrades to the same degree of success they've relied on for so long.

Bill
Bill

Dee wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 16:36
AR3-GP wrote:

It shows the scale of how much more Mercedes can improve if it is only now this year that they are getting a handle on the regulations imo
most teams just copy redbull so should they be fearful i dont think so

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Bill wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 19:05

most teams just copy redbull so should they be fearful i dont think so
When the "copy" is faster than the real thing, it's not a copy anymore.