2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1isgood
f1isgood

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 19:38
f1isgood wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 19:32
I was just checking Austrian GP pace from last year. The RB20 is not really faster than the RB19 in race trim. The first two stints go to RB19. That is bad, somewhat confirming my suspiscion.

Sure there are other factors etc. I think it is still worth noticing. Both from a deg pov and just race pace pov.

https://imgur.com/a/o7mPUxL
The circuit itself was made a little bit slower with the more challenging circuit boundaries, but the inferior tire degradation of the RB20 is clear there.

I was looking at tire degradation of the VCARB which is using last year's suspension, and they had less tire degradation than the RB20.
Good point that I overlooked. Thanks for the VCARB comparison.

I was also seeing McLaren, and McLaren's jump is far more visible.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

While there can be many other reasons for Perez not having the updates, it will be useful for them to do comparisons with the old car.

f1isgood
f1isgood

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 19:49
While there can be many other reasons for Perez not having the updates, it will be useful for them to do comparisons with the old car.
We can start with one possible reason: he crashed the upgraded car at Hungary last year in FP to show off the new floor edges.

KimiRai
KimiRai

So in the end were Newey's requests followed on the extreme cooling and the Halo openings?

organic

KimiRai wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 20:08
So in the end were Newey's requests followed on the extreme cooling and the Halo openings?
If you mean in terms of this upgrade walking back previous design decisions Re: the cooling inlets.. I don't think so.

The new bodywork is more about managing the losses and controlling airflow to the rear of the car than changing the architecture of the car

venkyhere
venkyhere

organic wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 23:05
KimiRai wrote:
If you mean in terms of this upgrade walking back previous design decisions Re: the cooling inlets.. I don't think so.

The new bodywork is more about managing the losses and controlling airflow to the rear of the car than changing the architecture of the car
Sorry I have to disagree. The airflow to the coke bottle area (undercut and engine cover changes) that would work in tandem with the diffuser is changed. That means, beam wing, rear wing are all getting worked differently. That in turn means there has to be corresponding 'adjustment' to the flow coming off the floor.

Doesn't all this that mean they are atleast partially 'dialling back' on their RB19->RB20 architecture change ? Even if a layman, to me it smells like desperation, when changes are this basic.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

venkyhere wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 04:02
organic wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 23:05
KimiRai wrote:

Sorry I have to disagree. The airflow to the coke bottle area (undercut and engine cover changes) that would work in tandem with the diffuser is changed. That means, beam wing, rear wing are all getting worked differently. That in turn means there has to be corresponding 'adjustment' to the flow coming off the floor.

Doesn't all this that mean they are atleast partially 'dialling back' on their RB19->RB20 architecture change ? Even if a layman, to me it smells like desperation, when changes are this basic.
Whether or not they have physically dialed back the car, they are anticipating a reasonable step in performance. This is the most important thing. A true rollback comes with a roll back of performance. That is not expected to be the case here.

Also in my opinion it is not a reversion to the engine cover of the highly successful RB19 either. The RB19 still had a pronounced shoulder/sidewall structure. This one does not. It can be compared more closely to that of the RB18 but the rest of the car is different which is also an important detail. Sometimes old concepts make their way back into new things. If there's an argument that they have abandoned the engine cover concept of the RB20 (which is reportedly returning for Spa in any case), then they also abandoned that engine cover detail of the RB19 as well. The reasons for changing are not easy to decipher.

Would Red Bull have rather found more performance earlier in the year? Yes, any team would like to. Are teams constantly under pressure to find performance? Yes. You might as well call it a permanent state of desperation for any team. If you are comfortable, you are not moving fast enough.

Sergej
Sergej

we all remember that at the beginning of the season Newey said that, come european races, the car would have looked very differently.....was he referring to this development ? if so, I don't see it as a desperation move, but rather as a planned development.

Cassius
Cassius

Max complaining about a lot of understeer. Hope it is part of dialling in the upgrades.

Sergej
Sergej

Max is continuously changing the front wing, between old and new spec

organic

Sergej wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 14:27
Max is continuously changing the front wing, between old and new spec
Probably experimenting to see how the aero balance changes.

Sergej
Sergej

a meh start to the weekend, looking forward to hear what Marko has to say after these FP1

RacePaceDemon

P2 meh? I'd say it's a good start for Red Bull Racing considering that they start the weekend a bit shabby sometimes (shabby being p9 - p10 territory)
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

marcel171281
marcel171281

Sergej wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 14:34
a meh start to the weekend, looking forward to hear what Marko has to say after these FP1
Very slow on the straights, so very low engine modes.

Luscion
Luscion

Wache: "The more you push on development, the more tricky the behavior of the machine can become. It's clear that we can improve the stability of the car for both drivers. We are still able to develop, otherwise we won't bring updates. Performance doesn't just come from downforce gain, but how the rider can use it. We are working on this and we have a lot of room for improvement."
Alternating the new bonnet according to the tracks? It's a possibility, it will depend on your cooling needs. Let's try to have the fastest car on every track.
https://x.com/LucianoYoma/status/1814297933720019363