2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dunlay
Dunlay

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:42
Dunlay wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:10
What was the hype about this upgrade? So far behind an un-upgraded Mclaren! We couldn't witness Lando's last lap. But for like for like laps in the first round, 3 tenths down! Wow.
Lando didn't have a new soft for that final run.
He did. For the run that was aborted due to Red Flag.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Dunlay wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:43
FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:42
Dunlay wrote:
What was the hype about this upgrade? So far behind an un-upgraded Mclaren! We couldn't witness Lando's last lap. But for like for like laps in the first round, 3 tenths down! Wow.
Lando didn't have a new soft for that final run.
He did. For the run that was aborted due to Red Flag.
No, he did not. He had to use two new softs in Q1 and one in Q2. He had one new soft in Q3 and decided to use it on his first run as they expected rain at the end.

He was on a used soft when the red flag came.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Wouter wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:39
Dunlay wrote:
What was the hype about this upgrade? So far behind an un-upgraded Mclaren! We couldn't witness Lando's last lap.
But for like for like laps in the first round, 3 tenths down! Wow.
Horner said they have a race setup and Max finished with that setup 0.046 sec behind pole. Not bad at all!
If you want to believe the gap to Lando was only 0.046, then no argument. Lando never had a second run when track (minus new softs) was continuing to improve where all the drivers improved their time. Who knows what that gap would have looked.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Dunlay wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:46
Wouter wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
What was the hype about this upgrade? So far behind an un-upgraded Mclaren! We couldn't witness Lando's last lap.
But for like for like laps in the first round, 3 tenths down! Wow.
Horner said they have a race setup and Max finished with that setup 0.046 sec behind pole. Not bad at all!
If you want to believe the gap to Lando was only 0.046, then no argument. Lando never had a second run when track (minus new softs) was continuing to improve where all the drivers improved their time. Who knows what that gap would have looked.
I'm a McLaren fan so I followed McLaren cars a lot. I think the gap would be two tenths if Lando had a proper second run on new softs. He had a similar gap in FP3 and compared to Piastri.

But Verstappen probably could have found a tenth or two as well. It's very close.

Vettel165

This car should be very good in Spa with all medium-high speed corners and long straights. We are lacking in the traction areas of the track /low speed corners. Mclaren is better there, similar to 2012 Mclaren vs Red Bull. Also cooler conditions didnt help. In warmer conditions the car looks much better in terms of having enough grip in the corners.

Dunlay
Dunlay

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:49
Dunlay wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:46
Wouter wrote:

I'm a McLaren fan so I followed McLaren cars a lot. I think the gap would be two tenths if Lando had a proper second run on new softs. He had a similar gap in FP3 and compared to Piastri.
Thanks. My original point is, even with all the upgrades, Red Bull is behind McLaren by decent margin in qualifying. I don't think there would be much difference in race pace either. In FP3, Red Bull focused on race pace. But the problem is, the track was so cooler than yesterday, the FP3 top time was almost 2 seconds faster than FP2 session topping time. In such conditions, Red Bull was a second faster on average to their race sim from FP2. Adjusting the track performance difference between FP2 and FP3, that doesn't seem a lot. But let's see tomorrow.

Sergej
Sergej

Vettel165 wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:53
This car should be very good in Spa with all medium-high speed corners and long straights. We are lacking in the traction areas of the track /low speed corners. Mclaren is better there, similar to 2012 Mclaren vs Red Bull. Also cooler conditions didnt help. In warmer conditions the car looks much better in terms of having enough grip in the corners.
could be but unfortunately Max will most probably serve the engine penalty in Spa, so I think near zero possibility to win

anyway, Horner saying car is setup for the race is encouraging (I have this feeling too) but let's not forget that Marko said the same before Austria race, and we all remember how it went pace wise

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Dunlay wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:54
Thanks. My original point is, even with all the upgrades, Red Bull is behind McLaren by decent margin in qualifying. I don't think there would be much difference in race pace either. In FP3, Red Bull focused on race pace. But the problem is, the track was so cooler than yesterday, the FP3 top time was almost 2 seconds faster than FP2 session topping time. In such conditions, Red Bull was a second faster on average to their race sim from FP2. Adjusting the track performance difference between FP2 and FP3, that doesn't seem a lot. But let's see tomorrow.
I think that this talk of focusing on race pace is misleading. I doubt any team here is going for a "glory run qualy setup" but even if they were, Hungaroring is a track where it is hard to overtake. Having a great starting position is very important. I don't think Red Bull is more race focused than McLaren. If anything, McLaren being faster in the medium speed means they have more downforce which should protect the tyres.

About the car pace - I think that McLaren is a faster car (not by much) but Verstappen is a more clinical, faster driver. This plus great operational team of Red Bull means they extract the maximum from the car while McLaren squanders points. Even today they almost lost out because Norris had one new soft in Q3 and Piastri was almost eliminated in Q1 as he couldn't make a second hot lap.

Looking forward to the fight to the end of the season. Should be interesting to see whether McLaren can claw back the gap Red Bull has any make it a fight for WCC.

organic

Let's see tomorrow

But even with the upgrades it doesn't look to have changed much in terms of pecking order. Even if the team claim they work well immediately

Luscion
Luscion

Verstappen in press release about updates: "They are working, but we are not in P1, so it is not enough yet. I am pushing even harder now than last year, but the laps are not coming as easily." Asked him if balance feels better, because that is what RBR says it focuses on: "No, the same"

Rikhart
Rikhart

I Would swap Perez right for next race, no more patience, goodbye. Put whoever you want.

organic

Luscion wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 18:25
Verstappen in press release about updates: "They are working, but we are not in P1, so it is not enough yet. I am pushing even harder now than last year, but the laps are not coming as easily." Asked him if balance feels better, because that is what RBR says it focuses on: "No, the same"
https://twitter.com/ronaldvording/statu ... 4195087380
They are slow and the balance is bad
It was alright, but not good enough. The whole weekend has just been a little bit too slow. We tried to optimise everything, tried quite a few things with the car. At the end, still too slow. So, yeah, it is what it is.

The upgrades are definitely working, but we are still not the first, right? So we need more. It's as simple as that.

I was very happy with the laps but balance wise, everything is really on the edge. I'm pushing as hard as I can and then you have little moments here and there.

f1isgood
f1isgood

organic wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 18:29
Luscion wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 18:25
https://twitter.com/ronaldvording/statu ... 4195087380
They are slow and the balance is bad
It was alright, but not good enough. The whole weekend has just been a little bit too slow. We tried to optimise everything, tried quite a few things with the car. At the end, still too slow. So, yeah, it is what it is.

The upgrades are definitely working, but we are still not the first, right? So we need more. It's as simple as that.

I was very happy with the laps but balance wise, everything is really on the edge. I'm pushing as hard as I can and then you have little moments here and there.
I guess P3 at best it is then unless Max can get the McLaren's at the start. I just hope they have better degradation over the course of the race compared to the past few races, especially towards the end. A few lucky breaks won't hurt as well.

f1isgood
f1isgood

Rikhart wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 18:27
I Would swap Perez right for next race, no more patience, goodbye. Put whoever you want.
Yeah, I doubt even Sargeant would be a downgrade at this point.

chrisc90

Much rather the steadier conditions where its a more 'normal' qualifying. Not a one affected by rain altering the track just as your starting your hot lap. Be much more fun to see when the conditions are 'stable'.

Not too bad today, mighty close at the front with just 5 hundredths separating the top 3. Race pace on the hard tyre looked promising today in Q3, so see how that goes. Expecting a M-H-M tomorrow for the strategy. Likely same as everyone else.

Don't get me started on Perezz, hasn't seen the top 7 since Miami now in qualifying (i think) which is a outright disappointment. P16? tomorrow, and potentially pitlane start if the team don't have enough of the new floor (every time a new floor goes on Checo exposes it the same race he gets it!!!!) to swap out for him.
A driver swap has to happen now. Id swap Danny Ric and Perez over for the remainder of the season and make a decision based on the 2nd half of the season. Likely make or break for Ric - but he's been in that seat before and knows how things work. Perez simply cannot be allowed to continue. Marko and Horner need to realise this. Costing the team monstrous amounts of cash in the budget cap which affects upgrades down the line.

Other option is to put Lawson in the VCARB to get some experience and sack Perez off altogether. That way Lawson has less of a mountain to face being alongside Max and at the front of the grid.
Last edited by chrisc90 on 20 Jul 2024, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.