2024 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 19 - 21

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1isgood
f1isgood

Re: 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 19 - 21

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 14:31
f1isgood wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 12:46
I don't know where comments like Red Bull will win easily are coming from. Red Bull have had a pace deficit to others over the last ~7 odd weekends in the races averaged over the stints. If they simply fix that deficit with better tire degradation and are just matching others pace, races will be far more entertaining and down to minor details. This should be more doable as pure pace wise everyone is basically near about there.
Intuition. don't mind how Max looks now. He knows what he's doing.
Right, such excellent intuition =D>

Zynerji

RacePaceDemon wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:26
Shocking coverage. Why the f*** didn't F1TV show anyone's sector times except Norris. Ricciardo improved and we saw nothing. Didn't show Hamilton's time. F1TV can screw themselves with the abysmal race direction. I could do a better job.
I expect this will be AI controlled soon. Automatic picture in picture popups with highlighted data and messages to the announcers about on track battles would help lots.
Last edited by Zynerji on 20 Jul 2024, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

RacePaceDemon

Zynerji wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 20:04
RacePaceDemon wrote:
Shocking coverage. Why the f*** didn't F1TV show anyone's sector times except Norris. Ricciardo improved and we saw nothing. Didn't show Hamilton's time. F1TV can screw themselves with the abysmal race direction. I could do a better job.
I expect this will be AI controlled soon. Picture in picture with highlights and messages to the announcers about on track battles.
I suspect a lot of it already is because no actual human could sit there and show absolutely nothing. "Hey there's a strong lap by one of the drivers right now". "No no hang on I want to show one of the drivers' girlfriends!!"
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

Zynerji

RacePaceDemon wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 20:07
Zynerji wrote:
RacePaceDemon wrote:
I expect this will be AI controlled soon. Picture in picture with highlights and messages to the announcers about on track battles.
I suspect a lot of it already is because no actual human could sit there and show absolutely nothing. "Hey there's a strong lap by one of the drivers right now". "No no hang on I want to show one of the drivers' girlfriends!!"
If it was run by a RAG ai, it would already be perfect. The weighting of what's actually race relevant and important is obviously NOT currently making the choices.

RacePaceDemon

Zynerji wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 20:09
RacePaceDemon wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

If it was run by a RAG ai, it would already be perfect. The weighting of what's actually race relevant and important is obviously NOT currently making the choices.
Rag ai? I'm not too informed with AI could you explain how it would work with race direction?
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

dialtone
dialtone

RacePaceDemon wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
RacePaceDemon wrote:
Rag ai? I'm not too informed with AI could you explain how it would work with race direction?
RAG is Retrieval Augmented Generation. Basically a search engine written by using the feature vectors generated by LLM.

It’s not clear to me how it would help in this case.

Zynerji

dialtone wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 21:08
RacePaceDemon wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

RAG is Retrieval Augmented Generation. Basically a search engine written by using the feature vectors generated by LLM.

It's able to utilize open cv on all streams and after being trained on historic footage, it can detect important things (overtake/crash/etc) and switch cameras, prepare replays, and give conversational data to the presenters. It could also monitor time deltas and show <1s battles in popup windows. It could also pick out all external updates to the cars or monitor track limits.

I'm seriously surprised this isn't already being done. Especially the commentator chat. That could change the deliverable insight metric by enormous amounts. Especially when the RAG can pick out car failures that lead to a crash and such instantly, and the audience get the info quickly.

Edit: using RAG as the catch all term for this is insufficient now that I think about it. Its more of an Agent than a RAG.

mclaren111

Hammerfist wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:29
Mclaren is just getting better and better. They are fast everywhere in all conditions. The second half of the season is gonna feature lots of Mclaren victories and Redbull trying to minimize the damage. Merc is only good on certain tracks, so is Ferrari. Very interesting second half to come.

Thank God... As a Mclaren supporter since 1988 you can imagine how I have suffered the last 12 years... :D

mclaren111

RacePaceDemon wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
RacePaceDemon wrote:
=D> =D>

organic

Expecting M/H/M for RB and McLaren while Merc have the tyres to do M/H/H.

Luscion
Luscion

Theyve fixed grass strip by the kerb that caused Yuki to go airborne

DDopey
DDopey

Zynerji wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 21:51
dialtone wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 21:08
RacePaceDemon wrote:

It's able to utilize open cv on all streams and after being trained on historic footage, it can detect important things (overtake/crash/etc) and switch cameras, prepare replays, and give conversational data to the presenters. It could also monitor time deltas and show <1s battles in popup windows. It could also pick out all external updates to the cars or monitor track limits.

I'm seriously surprised this isn't already being done. Especially the commentator chat. That could change the deliverable insight metric by enormous amounts. Especially when the RAG can pick out car failures that lead to a crash and such instantly, and the audience get the info quickly.

Edit: using RAG as the catch all term for this is insufficient now that I think about it. Its more of an Agent than a RAG.
Wow you are really on the AI hype train using all these buzz words. It could be done by AI, but too be honest I think this also could be done perfectly rule based without AI. An agentic based AI system looks completely overkill and RAG is for text based LLMs so would have little to do with this.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

DDopey wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 09:11
Wow you are really on the AI hype train using all these buzz words. It could be done by AI, but too be honest I think this also could be done perfectly rule based without AI. An agentic based AI system looks completely overkill and RAG is for text based LLMs so would have little to do with this.
No, it couldn't be done by AI, at least not competently.

But you are 100% right about all the AI buzzword salad. lol

I'm not some 'AI is a scam' sort at all, but it's wild how much some people are trying to infuse it into everything where it doesn't even make any practical sense.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

For me a major improvement would be to be able to select which onboard camera to use. It’s very annoying when they all of a sudden switch to a helmet facing camera or a nose camera when on a hotlap. The helmet cam is cool in certain situations, but when looking at a hotlap it’s a bit hard to see what’s really going on with the car behaviour. Dunno why they haven’t implemented that yet as everything is already there and ready.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Tvetovnato wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 09:43
For me a major improvement would be to be able to select which onboard camera to use. It’s very annoying when they all of a sudden switch to a helmet facing camera or a nose camera when on a hotlap. The helmet cam is cool in certain situations, but when looking at a hotlap it’s a bit hard to see what’s really going on with the car behaviour. Dunno why they haven’t implemented that yet as everything is already there and ready.
You can? The f1 tv app allows that