McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emag
Emag

Re: McLaren MCL38

Is that the Monaco wing in terms of load?

Lucky
Lucky

CjC
CjC

No visible changes then?
Just a fan's point of view

organic

Autosport covering the brake hole intrigue

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10635736/

hollus

As a reminder, hypothetical tests for future flex in future races, do not belong in THIS car thread, or in any car thread for that matter. Posts are getting deleted
Hardware in the car threads, please, rules discussion elsewhere.
Rivals, not enemies.

Lucky
Lucky

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

organic wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 21:10
Autosport covering the brake hole intrigue

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10635736/
A small hole that was already covered in some races (I'd love to see in which races it was uncovered, the article mentions only Austrian sprint) - I'd be really surprised if this has any measurable effect.

mclaren111

gcdugas

Lucky wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 10:10

Unrelated to this thread but every time I see current pics of diffusers I think they have closed off the hole that used to fit the shaft from a remote starter. Have they ceased from using them since going to hybrids? Is there any need for remote starters now that they have batteries and electric motors that can do the job if the batteries have a sufficient charge?
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

gcdugas wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 05:20
Lucky wrote:

Unrelated to this thread but every time I see current pics of diffusers I think they have closed off the hole that used to fit the shaft from a remote starter. Have they ceased from using them since going to hybrids? Is there any need for remote starters now that they have batteries and electric motors that can do the job if the batteries have a sufficient charge?
Today I also came to the same conclusion. In the Q3 of qualifying, the cars that were standing in the pit lane and waiting for their last attempt, all had their engines turned off. There was silence in the pit lane. And only 10-15 seconds before the pit lane opened, the engines turned on. So yes, most likely it is now easier to start the engine through the MGU-K system.

RicerDude

LionsHeart wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 21:17
gcdugas wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 05:20
Lucky wrote:

Today I also came to the same conclusion. In the Q3 of qualifying, the cars that were standing in the pit lane and waiting for their last attempt, all had their engines turned off. There was silence in the pit lane. And only 10-15 seconds before the pit lane opened, the engines turned on. So yes, most likely it is now easier to start the engine through the MGU-K system.
From what I remember, even in the garage the engine is started on the MGU-K. Auxiliary starter is still present in the garage but rarely used. It looks to me like the hole is covered over by a piece of contrasting tape for aero purposes. In the event of an issue with the conventional starting procedure, the rear end mechanic can visually locate the hole and pierce the tape.

MrGapes

Made this real quick to get an idea of the development done so far.. obviously there are things under the surface teams do to reduce weight etc...

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MrGapes wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 10:31
https://ibb.co/R4cXm27

Made this real quick to get an idea of the development done so far.. obviously there are things under the surface teams do to reduce weight etc...
You need to rework the table a little. The floor edge was also slightly reworked in Miami, and the front wing endplate was changed in Austria.

MrGapes

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 11:23
MrGapes wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 10:31
https://ibb.co/R4cXm27

You need to rework the table a little. The floor edge was also slightly reworked in Miami, and the front wing endplate was changed in Austria.
Yeah I realised that after I already made it.. I think in the submission sheets they sometimes they don't classify every single component, so they submit front wing which could mean a completely revised geometry, so its highly likely with the miami floor changes everything including the floor fences, diffuser etc. were changed... but yeah ill need to go through and look at every component in detail.

Mtshali_Motorsport
Mtshali_Motorsport

Lucky wrote:
In the 2nd picture on the right, it looks like there is a slit on the outside edge of the diffuser, has it been there before this race?