2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BosF1
BosF1

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

wickedz50 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:13
My POV the eyes should be on the WDC at any cost.
But the teams eyes are primarily on the WCC, not the WDC. For teams the WCC is always most important.

mwillems

Mclaren 2nd in the constructors.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

thestig84
thestig84

Dimond wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:23
thestig84 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:19
Wow even after a 1-2 this place is to be avoided 🙄.
Stop criticising. Stop thinking the drivers WC would be in the bag with 7 extra points 🙄. Be happy for a change. Enjoy the 1-2.
Maybe because there are more fans of Lando than of Oscar
What am I on about?! 300 points?! Go back to your calculator. Max finishing runner up will give him the WDC that's the calculation that matters. Max will easily win again..WDC isn't the focus. That's what I'm on about

Edit. Sorry, wrong post quoted
Last edited by thestig84 on 21 Jul 2024, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

stonehenge wrote:
There are 11 races left. If Norris finishes first in every race and Verstappen only second, he would gain 66 points. That's not enough. In other words, they need to make a decision now on whether they're going for it or not because the only way to beat Max in the WDC will be to have both drivers work together to help Norris. Piastri is too far back, so it's completely fair to put your chances on Norris. They have a real shot at this. The difference between 1st and 3rd is 10 points. That's a whole lot, and they WILL have races coming up where both McLarens are faster than Verstappen. But they need to make that call now and run with it. Otherwise they're throwing away a chance to win the WDC that they may not get again so quickly.
The gaps between the teams at the tops are so small. Car isn't that dominant to expect a P1 on all of the remaining races. You have to hope than when (if) they take wins, Max finishes lower than P2 a couple of times to gain more points on him. And when (if) Max wins, they have to be P2 to minimize points losses.

Ideally, you don't want Max to win any more races now, and if Merc & Ferrari pick up wins, they have to outscore Max and take the podium positions.

Either way, gap is relatively large. The slow start to the season hurt the chances for a WDC significantly.
Last edited by Emag on 21 Jul 2024, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

thestig84
thestig84

Avocado wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:24
thestig84 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:19
Stop criticising. Stop thinking the drivers WC would be in the bag with 7 extra points 🙄.
What the hell are you talking about? Yes, every single point counts. There are still 300 points available, but in the end only 1 can be decisive.
What am I on about?! 300 points?! Go back to your calculator. Max finishing runner up will give him the WDC that's the calculation that matters. Max will easily win again..WDC isn't the focus. That's what I'm on about

stonehenge
stonehenge

Marc.W wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:21
wickedz50 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:13
My POV the eyes should be on the WDC at any cost. A win for Norris here still is a long shot at the WDC for this year. Both drivers has to work together for the bigger picture. The RBR is still super fast and in Max's hand it will be winning many more races. The team should thank LH for his defensive drive to keep charging Max behind on 2 key situation. The day Norris can defend his position against Max like what LH did today then I am sure he will be the WDC.
None the less the job is done 1-2. Hope that Spa will be as competitive as today. A RBR 1-2 there will be again be a tough ask for Mclaren.
I disagree, the team should always have eyes on the WCC, the WDC comes with it, Max is still over 3 race wins ahead on points, if by some chance that Lando misses out on the WDC this year by less than 7 points, then yes, we can come back to the call today, but realistically that isn't going to happen and we scored the maximum possible today for the more important WCC.
I understand where you're coming from but the WCC is simply nowhere nearly as meaningful as the WDC. Especially from a brand/sponsorship perspective. Winning the WCC would no doubt be a big deal for McLaren, but it's not the kind of news that'll pop up on everyone's phone as a news alert. Winning the WDC *does*. It's a huge deal that is front-page news around the world. No team would ever prioritize the WCC over the WDC.

mwillems

As Anthony Davidson just said very well. This situation isn't because of the pit. It's because Lando squandered his start. None of this would have happened if he didn't lose yet more positions.

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I have doubts about overhauling Max for the WDC, but I'm more optimistic about the WCC. Lando has to do more if he wants to win the title, he has to cut out the bad starts, it's cost him a couple of wins, just not holding position into the first corner. With consistently average performances at the starts, whatever small chance he has of the WDC, he'll need Oscar's help, today will make it easier to request said help.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Nice interview with Lando. Close to breaking down I think. But agreeing the lead was giftedto him and it was right to give it back.

Also acknowledge that he lost the race with his start.

Go Lando, you'll win a WDC. Today isn't the day to go solo.

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Up to P2 in the constructors, by the way.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Dimond
Dimond

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:36
seems like nobody cares now lol, everybody's here for P1 only

stonehenge
stonehenge

Emag wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:29
stonehenge wrote:
There are 11 races left. If Norris finishes first in every race and Verstappen only second, he would gain 66 points. That's not enough. In other words, they need to make a decision now on whether they're going for it or not because the only way to beat Max in the WDC will be to have both drivers work together to help Norris. Piastri is too far back, so it's completely fair to put your chances on Norris. They have a real shot at this. The difference between 1st and 3rd is 10 points. That's a whole lot, and they WILL have races coming up where both McLarens are faster than Verstappen. But they need to make that call now and run with it. Otherwise they're throwing away a chance to win the WDC that they may not get again so quickly.
The gaps between the teams at the tops are so small. Car isn't that dominant to expect a P1 on all of the remaining races. You have to hope than when (if) they take wins, Max finishes lower than P2 a couple of times to gain more points on him. And when (if) Max wins, they have to be P2 to minimize points losses.

Ideally, you don't want Max to win any more races now, and if Merc & Ferrari pick up wins, they have to outscore Max and take the podium positions.

Either way, gap is relatively large. The slow start to the season hurt the chances for a WDC significantly.
I think you're vastly underestimating how quickly Verstappen's lead can disappear. If Norris had finished P1, he would've gained 15 points on Verstappen. That's almost a fifth of his lead. McLaren has already left so many points on the table in the past races:

Canada: (left Norris out behind SC) 7 points
Spain: (bad start and bad strategy) 6 points
Silverstone: (messed up strategy 2x and wrong tires for final stints) 10 points
Hungary: (team order of all things) 7 points

That's 30 points that Norris has left on the table for reasons the team could've avoided/mitigated or chosen to do differently. Then the gap wouldn't be 76 points, it would be 46.

Bottom line: These things add up. Yes, a few points in one race probably won't cost the championship, but a championship is a long season, and every race matters.

Xero

Dimond wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:38
Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:36
seems like nobody cares now lol, everybody's here for P1 only
That's the problem with success, draws out negativity if things aren't perfect. Pragmatism is dead now it seems! :lol:

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:33
As Anthony Davidson just said very well. This situation isn't because of the pit. It's because Lando squandered his start. None of this would have happened if he didn't lose yet more positions.
Though, as Nico said, it was a shift to second, that's not on Lando.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:29
stonehenge wrote:

It's the trend that is important. RB continue to drop back. 2nd isn't a guarantee.

RB are imploding.

-Bandit