2024 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 19 - 21

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Re: 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 19 - 21

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:06
Hoffman900 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 16:57

If you arrive with both fronts locked, you're not in control and have no rights in any ensuing incident. Lewis was taking the line and Max dive bombed. That's on Max alone.
The fact that GP didn’t even want to hear it from Max after this was telling, but people will argue here defending it like it’s their job.
I think Max is going to told to wind his neck in during the debrief. His constant carping on the radio, swearing at the team, etc., won't go down well when you then lose places by piss-poor driving.

Interesting to see the real Max coming out when he's not 20 seconds ahead every race...
This and that his priority is RBR and not his sim team.

Spacepace

littlebigcat wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:07
Stella is absolutely class at taking the heat out of it
Yeah he is a great leader. And he handles the English speaking press with grace

Spacepace

Hoffman900 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:09
Just_a_fan wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:

The fact that GP didn’t even want to hear it from Max after this was telling, but people will argue here defending it like it’s their job.
I think Max is going to told to wind his neck in during the debrief. His constant carping on the radio, swearing at the team, etc., won't go down well when you then lose places by piss-poor driving.

Interesting to see the real Max coming out when he's not 20 seconds ahead every race...
This and that his priority is RBR and not his sim team.
I think Daddy Horner should take away his PlayStation for a week

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

politburo wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:07
Luscion wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:04
We'll see what the stewards decide, both have been summoned
I don't think anything will happen as there were no real consequences to the collision - also a penalty would be so inconsequential (+/- 2 points). There was no damage or injury.
The penalty may not be inconsequential at all. 2 points could be the difference between winning and losing the title at the end of the season.

Caused a collision. Everyone else seems to get penalised for that (unless it's with their team mate, generally).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

politburo
politburo

The last 3 races have been really fantastic. Hopefully more of the same in Spa.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Rikhart
Rikhart

Shrieker wrote:
The overhead makes it abundantly clear, there's way, waaay more than a car's width on the inside to use, but max isn't in control of his car to use it.

In addition, Hamilton opens up at the last moment when he sees him coming. Not sure how one can be so delusional as to claim Lewis turned in on him.
That's because that's what happened in tangible reality, we can all see it with our eyes. He even looks at the Red Bull and turns into it :lol:

basti313
basti313

stonehenge wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:09
bonjon1979 wrote:
I mean that’s a slam dunk penalty for max
Yeah, there's no chance he makes that turn and he is surely aware that he will cause contact unless the other driver takes evasive action. It's a classic Verstappen move and I think if they don't set a precedent now, they never will.
Well, he can not from this position anymore. I think both cars had a very strange trajectory and for both the corner was not on a normal racing or overtaking line, I think everything was much too much to the inside due to the lapped car. In the end I agree with Ham, racing incident.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Rikhart
Rikhart

Just_a_fan wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 16:57

If you arrive with both fronts locked, you're not in control and have no rights in any ensuing incident. Lewis was taking the line and Max dive bombed. That's on Max alone.

We could see the real Max already in 2021, when he won the championship with the second best car.

Spacepace

I asked what Google Gemini thought of the race Verstappen had today and this what it had to say

If the F1 season is grueling, Christian might take the Playstation away out of concern for Max's health. Spending too much time gaming could impact his sleep or reaction time behind the wheel.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:01
Hoffman900 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:01
chrisc90 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 16:59
This shows that it was even more obvious he wasn’t making the corner :lol:
Yeah, because the car in front moved on the brakes.
It's called turning in to the corner. It's what Max did in Silverstone and everyone said it was Lewis's fault there. BUt today? Oh, no, it's Lewis's fault this time too?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Rikhart wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:14
Just_a_fan wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:

We could see the real Max already in 2021, when he won the championship with the second best car.
Not according to Newey, but hey, that's off topic in this race thread.

TFSA

So my thoughts of this race summed up:

Turn 1 (Max going off):
Initially thought that Max definitely had to give that back, because it initially looked like he went off on his own and wasn't ahead. Watched the replay later, and he indeed was ahead of Norris at one point, and Norris did push him a bit wide. IMO Max could prob have kept that position, but the Stewards being completely unpredictable probably made the decision to give it back the right call.

Red Bull first pit stop came too late:
I was watching the gaps, and calling for Red Bull to pull Max into the pits and undercut Hamilton, because it was possible without putting him into too much tactic.

Unfortunately for Max, Red Bull was a team that was indecisive on tactics today, and that allowed Hamilton to undercut Max. Their decision was probably fueled by the fact that they had only saved one set of hards, while Mercedes had two, so they wanted to extend the first stint. But instead, Max burned his tires fighting through the field today, and wasn't able to make up for it - pitting before Hamilton would probably have put Max on the podium today.

Complete botch job from Red Bull, but in regards to only bringing one hard tire, but also in not being too aggressive enough. They ruined the race for themselves today. At least Perez was able to score some points by going P16 -> P7 and redeem himself a bit. But Max was compromised from the first stop onwards, and arguably before the race even began due to the tire selection available.

Hamilton and Verstappen crash:
Initially it looked Max locked up and went deep (which he did), but also looked like Lewis turned into Max.

However, from watching the replay, Max car went a bit left when he locked up. You can make an argument for racing incident (Lewis actually even did in the cooldown room), but I cannot in any way, shape or form put the blame on Lewis here. It was too aggressive from Max.

I will have to review the incident later once i have access to brake telemetry. That's not gonna be available for a few hours more. But it seems to me either incident or Max fault.

Stewards not deciding above incident inside the race:
Once again completely unacceptable from the stewards. They don't need to summon the drivers for this. We need these kinds of decisions to be made while the race is still going.

"Will be investigated after the race" is complete bullsh*t for an incident like this. Not that I think it was going to happen, but imagine if they had decided it was Hamiltons fault - he would have lost his podium to Leclerc then, yet Leclerc would have been cheated out of the ceremony. It's lazy. Apologies for swearing, but they need to do their ****ing job, and decide something like this before the race is over - there was plenty of time.

The McLaren drama:
Piastri definitely deserved this. But this was entirely avoidable from McLaren. It was gonna be a few laps before Hamilton would be able to threaten Norris, so there was plenty of time to pit Piastri first.

I'm happy that Lando did the right thing, because i believe Piastri deserved it today, but this is not on the drivers. The MCL pit wall seriously needs to sharpen up. They have two excellent drivers, and a pit wall that is like a dog chasing its own tail.

Also, Dialtone made this excellent point in the Discord chat:

Reprofile Turn 4 and extend the 2nd DRS zone:
There's a reason Hungary is called Monaco without walls. But i also see a solution: Reprofile turn 4 to be a lot less sharper, and then extend the 2nd DRS zone to go through T4.

The track is in general too narrow to overtake, so this won't solve all problems, and it will still be DRS overtakes (which I'm aware that a lot of people dislike). But it could help.

Oscar Piastri is the new Iceman:
Even winning the race (yes, under some dubious circumstances), he's just so chill. Love this chap.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Stewards not deciding above incident inside the race:
Once again completely unacceptable from the stewards. They don't need to summon the drivers for this. We need these kinds of decisions to be made while the race is still going.

"Will be investigated after the race" is complete bullsh*t for an incident like this. Not that I think it was going to happen, but imagine if they had decided it was Hamiltons fault - he would have lost his podium to Leclerc then, yet Leclerc would have been cheated out of the ceremony. It's lazy. Apologies for swearing, but they need to do their ****ing job, and decide something like this before the race is over - there was plenty of time
Big this, for multiple incidents. Other racing series can do it, stick and ball sports do it, the FIA needs to stop this soft rule by committee / analysis paralysis crap and just make a decision.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

TFSA wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:25

Reprofile Turn 4 and extend the 2nd DRS zone:
There's a reason Hungary is called Monaco without walls. But i also see a solution: Reprofile turn 4 to be a lot less sharper, and then extend the 2nd DRS zone to go through T4.
T4 is a great corner which shouldn't be changed. It's a proper racing driver's corner - blind entry, reasonably quick, requires commitment to get it right and not lose time. Get rid of a chicane if you want to add some more DRS.

Luscion
Luscion