2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

A McLaren 1-2 and two young race winning drivers in our team.

Fantastic stuff that we have waited a long time for. Enjoy guys!

Lando was very fast today and whilst he has done the morally correct thing, he also showed the pace and control out front that he will absolutely contend for WDC in years to come.

Great to have two drivers closely matched too- look at how that is hurting Red Bulls Constructor title fight right now.

willmesquita

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 16:39
Norris gets his ultimatum from McLaren: "There are five laps to go, the way to win a championship is not by yourself, it is with the team, you are going to need Oscar and you are going to need the team."

Difficult to argue with this. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
After this radio I start to want Norris to give the position.

Great result by the team, many points in ours hands.

We came from so far to this 1-2. Amazing!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

bauc

willmesquita wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:30
Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 16:39
Norris gets his ultimatum from McLaren: "There are five laps to go, the way to win a championship is not by yourself, it is with the team, you are going to need Oscar and you are going to need the team."

Difficult to argue with this. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
After this radio I start to want Norris to give the position.

Great result by the team, many points in ours hands.

We came from so far to this 1-2. Amazing!
Yeah you are right, at the start of last season, we were 2nd to last, at the start of this season we were 3rd team at best, and now we are in the fight with RBR for the WCC, that's crazy! =D> =D> =D>
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

djones
djones

Anybody who’s saying Norris should not have won is not a natural winner.

I mean that with respect. But if you don’t have a desire to win that is fine and I’m sure you are happy just competing in life as long as you had fun.

An F1 team is there to win. It’s literally their purpose in life. Norris has a crack at the championship. Only a fool would not make him finish ahead of his teammate, especially with Max further down and with a penalty pending.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Never in my life did I think I'd ever walk away from a McLaren 1-2 with a sense of bewilderment. Yet here I am.

Piastri doing a poor job of being rear gunner at the start, again. Alternatively Norris with a poor start, again. Or both. The incredibly weird strategy calls. Not prioritising the driver that actually has a shot at the title. Looking at how tilted Max was today, it's insanity to me to not capitalise on that. But oh well. Congrats on the 1-2, it's well deserved. And congrats to Osc on his first win, even if it's a bit of a weird one. If the rest of the season is more like this, the WCC is ours at least.

Emag
Emag

djones wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:34
Anybody who’s saying Norris should not have won is not a natural winner.

I mean that with respect. But if you don’t have a desire to win that is fine and I’m sure you are happy just competing in life as long as you had fun.

An F1 team is there to win. It’s literally their purpose in life. Norris has a crack at the championship. Only a fool would not make him finish ahead of his teammate, especially with Max further down and with a penalty pending.
You don't ask drivers to swap a P1. Go back to any championship battle and let me know when was the last time a driver was asked to give up a victory to prioritize a championship battle at the midpoint of the season. This was Oscar's win to give up, in spite of how McLaren missmanaged the race to put it in the hands of Lando.

It should have never gone to that pointless drama on track. A normal strategy will have had drivers retain this finishing position and nobody would be having this conversation now.

willmesquita

djones wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:11
McLaren, a team so used to being midfield they don’t know how to maximise points for a championship.

I pray Norris loses the championship by 7 points and they have to live with today forever.

That goes for Norris too for not growing a pair.
Nonsense
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

saputra_25
saputra_25

What is our prediction for spa? Last year was very painful race at Spa. Hopefully straight line speed is improving

JRindt

Just watched the GP. What an absolute eff up by the strategy team. I’ve been patient enough, but Whoever is incharge of making the decisions needs to go. They weren’t exactly setting the field on fire with strategy even before the team became front runners.

I mean, what would possess them to pit Lando first? And you can’t ask the driver who’s pulling a gap to concede the win. They just denied Lando the opportunity to fight for the win by pitting him first.

It isn’t fair to Oscar either. It’s his first GP win and he shouldn’t be feeling like it was donated by Lando. Just horrible race management.

geogate
geogate

people spouting such drivel.
They did pre decide how they would race each other - Norris was pitted first to give him track position against Hamilton. It is the teams decision, it was their call, and Norris was obliged to hand the position back.
The team played it right - Norris eventually did the right thing.
As Rosberg said to Stella after the race, dont involve the drivers in decision-making during the race - tell them what they are expected to do based on what has been clearly pre-agreed (which it clearly was).
Last edited by geogate on 21 Jul 2024, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

gshevlin
gshevlin

The Constructors championship is what generates the big pile of extra money.
Financially, McLaren does not care which driver wins as long as they finish 1-2.
The drivers are employees. Highly paid, but still employees.
Lando is pissed off. He is a competitor. If he wasn't pissed off, I would be worried. However, the only way he will never be asked to do something like this for the team is if he has a Schumacher contract where the other driver is his valet. That isn't likely to happen.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Dunlay wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 17:16
Front row lockout! Hopefully they have a good strategy to block Max at the race start and box him rather than race each other.
Wow. A noob like me can understand what to do in the given situation, but McLaren let's their drivers fight each other and accept losing to Max at the start! :lol:

Ben1980
Ben1980

JRindt wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:10
Just watched the GP. What an absolute eff up by the strategy team. I’ve been patient enough, but Whoever is incharge of making the decisions needs to go. They weren’t exactly setting the field on fire with strategy even before the team became front runners.

I mean, what would possess them to pit Lando first? And you can’t ask the driver who’s pulling a gap to concede the win. They just denied Lando the opportunity to fight for the win by pitting him first.

It isn’t fair to Oscar either. It’s his first GP win and he shouldn’t be feeling like it was donated by Lando. Just horrible race management.
Strategy was fine, it secured a 1 2 finish, and covered off any potential issues.

Lando wasn't fighting for the win if he ended up behind Leclerc and Hamilton anyway.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Just a theory, but McLaren have a third driver who I believe would actually be willing to help Lando beat Max. A former McLaren driver who seems genuinely pleased whenever McLaren win and who is leaving his current team at the end of the season. A drier who has no shortage of incidents with Max.

That's right. I genuinely believe Lewis would help Lando beat Max if the WDC becomes a more realistic possibility.

I also think that from this race onwards the team should prioritise Lando. Oscar can have is chance next season and I believe today will help convince him to play the team game. Red Bull are no longer the fastest team, Mercedes are mixing it up too, which means it is not unrealistic to expect that Lando can win a few more races with Max finishing off the podium AND if Max keeps making moves like Austria and today then it is only a matter of time before Max has a DNF. Plus he alread has a pending engine penalty to deal with.

The WCC is very, very possible. We could even be leading it in a couple of races time. The WDC is possible and the team SHOULD put all their efforts into giving Lando a chance. There is no guarantee that 2025 or beyond will see them in the same position.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

mwillems

JRindt wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:10

They've done this several times before. Swapping unnecessarily, like when they did it to cover off an attack from Alonso that never materialised at Monza in 23.

I said at the time that it was ridiculous and unnecessary. Piastri gave up position to Norris and didn't get it back. It happened at Silverstone too, if I recall.

Team need to understand there are implications and that it also isn't all about the team. They also need to be clear before the pit if there is ever a genuine need to protect the teams points. And clarity should come before the pit, not after. And not done whenever they feel ready.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Jul 2024, 19:50, edited 3 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit