2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DGP123
DGP123

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Podium 👏
Double pts finish. Extracted the most we could.

Lasssept

:D

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Thet car wasn't as bad as I thought.. In the first stint Ham was shadowing Max and early in the second he was catching up to Norris until his tires seemed to fall off. I thought they should not have pitted that early. Give themselves a chance to have the freshest tires at the end. They're lucky Lewis put in such a good defensive drive otherwise both Leclerc and Max would have beaten him. 2 great races in a row by Lewis and the car is definitely looking up, even after a bad qualifying. Russell could have beaten Checo. I have no idea why he didn't.

mkay
mkay

Car was very strong on the mediums, but not as much on the hards.

It took HAM a lot of tyre management in the final stint to remain competitive on hards. He pushed too hard early on in Stint 2 and paid the price.

j_ste
j_ste

mkay wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 16:58
Car was very strong on the mediums, but not as much on the hards.

It took HAM a lot of tyre management in the final stint to remain competitive on hards. He pushed too hard early on in Stint 2 and paid the price.
Bono told him to, on that second stint. I think they were a little delusional on what was achieveable at that stage.

But, great result really. McLaren are just in another league when they put it together

Lacked overall pace, but HAM did v well; RUS had a chance vs PER but got undercut.

Mixed verdict on strategy, but stops were good.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Lewis really wanted to see the underside of that RB20 first hand and he got to see! :wink:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Good job Red Bull built a flexi wing too or it would have snapped off in that handstand! :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

It will be interesting to see if Mercedes can really make a lot of progress at the race in Belgium.

Luscion
Luscion

According to these Ham was the second quickest car. Seems to me max was much quicker than lewis.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Luscion wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:41
According to these Ham was the second quickest car. Seems to me max was much quicker than lewis.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GTBWa18XgAA ... =4096x4096

In the first stint he appeared to be held up by Max. The second stint he had a tire age disadvantage. The third stint he had a tire age and tire compound disadvantage. So yeah you can make a case he had the second fastest car
I was impressed with Merc's pace actually. Not what the qualifying suggested.

Hammerfist wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:50
Luscion wrote:

In the first stint he appeared to be held up by Max. The second stint he had a tire age disadvantage. The third stint he had a tire age and tire compound disadvantage. So yeah you can make a case he had the second fastest car
No you can’t really make that case when RUS isn’t faster than PER. The better reading would be that VER got stuck & was unable to deploy his speed; such is the Hungaroring.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

214270 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:16
Hammerfist wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:50
Luscion wrote:

No you can’t really make that case when RUS isn’t faster than PER. The better reading would be that VER got stuck & was unable to deploy his speed; such is the Hungaroring.
IMO George Russell isn't a good barometer on Sundays. There were times he wasn't any faster than Latifi at Williams FFS. Verstappen always had newer tires than the rest of the field after stint 1. He wasn't being held up in stint 1 and could not keep up wit the Mclarens while also being hounded by hamilton.

PlatinumZealot

The Mercedes was clearly weaker than the RedBull. You people didn't see the man counter steering and powersliding the car just to keep ahead of Max?

On 5 laps younger tyres Max also took a brisk 4 seconds out of Lewis. RedBull clearly second fastest here but was unlucky with track position.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Hammerfist wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 16:54
Thet car wasn't as bad as I thought.. In the first stint Ham was shadowing Max and early in the second he was catching up to Norris until his tires seemed to fall off. I thought they should not have pitted that early. Give themselves a chance to have the freshest tires at the end. They're lucky Lewis put in such a good defensive drive otherwise both Leclerc and Max would have beaten him. 2 great races in a row by Lewis and the car is definitely looking up, even after a bad qualifying. Russell could have beaten Checo. I have no idea why he didn't.
I was actually glad Mercedes were a bit bold by going for the undercut, as I have a feeling that track position would be their best weapon to move forward. I don’t think a tyre offset the other way would work given the pace of Verstappen. Was a bit lucky Verstappen tripped over himself really, although you can almost start counting on it now when he is not running out front…

Still suprising pace from Mercedes in this race though, qualifying looked like it would be another story.