2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Fascinating to see how Spa goes, I think we should be far better than last year as I think we’ve got a much more efficient car.

We could potentially give Max something to think about at Zandvoort too!

geogate
geogate

how was it unnecessary? Hamilton may have got in front of Norris had Piastri pitted first. Piastri was under no threat, Norris was - thats why they pitted him first, which was after the point where they had agreed they would stop racing. Pitting Norris first secured a 1-2. Had Hamilton got ahead who knows if Norris could have got past him

mwillems

'Think it's tough. I think it would be tough for anyone when you're leading the race to give it up. I was obviously put in the position, so they made me box first and gave me the chance to lead the race and to pull away quite comfortably and to do what I was doing," Norris began. "They also gave me the opportunity to do so. Therefore, I think it was fair just to give the position back. I don't want to come across like a guy who's not fair. Oscar's done a lot for me in the past. He helped me in many races." Norris told Sky Sports.

Norris: 'It was the right thing to do'
"He drove a better race than I did. He got a good start. He got a better start. And mine sucked. He deserved it and it was the right thing to do. So it hurts. Anytime you're going to give away a win and give it to someone, I know I shouldn't have it in the first place, which is, I think, the main point when you're leading the race and you have to give it back. It hurts, especially because from a driver's championship, you know, every point will help."
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

is that making a point? you saw the race right? you saw what happened - how Norris could have lost a place to Hamilton? It seemed blindingly obvious that was the right thing to do

mvfad

It was funny that the engineer said to Norris that he couldn't win the championship alone and would need the team and Oscar to be the champion.

Well, that's not what we saw today if he depended on this race to be champion.
It's like: "You're going to need us, but not today. Today we won't help you, but who knows in the future."
Last edited by mvfad on 21 Jul 2024, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

thestig84 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:19
Wow even after a 1-2 this place is to be avoided 🙄.
Stop criticising. Stop thinking the drivers WC would be in the bag with 7 extra points 🙄. Be happy for a change. Enjoy the 1-2.
Spot on… I thought for a second that this place would be full of celebrations after the 1-2.

Marc.W

mwillems wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:53
'Think it's tough. I think it would be tough for anyone when you're leading the race to give it up. I was obviously put in the position, so they made me box first and gave me the chance to lead the race and to pull away quite comfortably and to do what I was doing," Norris began. "They also gave me the opportunity to do so. Therefore, I think it was fair just to give the position back. I don't want to come across like a guy who's not fair. Oscar's done a lot for me in the past. He helped me in many races." Norris told Sky Sports.

Norris: 'It was the right thing to do'
"He drove a better race than I did. He got a good start. He got a better start. And mine sucked. He deserved it and it was the right thing to do. So it hurts. Anytime you're going to give away a win and give it to someone, I know I shouldn't have it in the first place, which is, I think, the main point when you're leading the race and you have to give it back. It hurts, especially because from a driver's championship, you know, every point will help."
I'm glad he was able to give a more level headed interview, and I hope Oscar doesn't let this tarnish his first win, he got it fair and square!

geogate
geogate

the team made a call that secured him a second over a possible third

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I miss the days when McLaren used to 7th-8th, and the odd P5. At least this place wasn't as gloomy as it is.... I can't believe McLaren finished 1-2, translated a front row lock out to a 1-2 finish, but the team didn't do it a certain way.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

I don't think it is gloomy, but there was unnecessary drama and problems created that seem to be a recurring theme in this team. It's not a one off, it was happening last year and continues to this day. The team will adapt though. This is a symptom of the strength of mind to do things their way, which has by and large worked. But the strategy calls require different solutions when you are at the front fighting for wins vs when you are just trying to help the team and pull them up the grid. The team seem fairly slow to respond to this change in context around the strategy decisions.

To some, their is dismay that the team seem very slow learners. I understand it, but probably not to the same extreme as many.

In this instance, I'd go back to a conversation from 2 weeks ago about Will Joseph where I said that decision had nothing to do with presentation. This week I would say that actually this was down to presentation and clarity and he needed to do better when communicating what the team wanted to do and what they expected in return. Lando had in his head that the team were putting him ahead because he was faster, which was never the case hence the issues.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ir3NiCuS
Ir3NiCuS

If I only check the result on the paper it is fantastic. The car had the pure speed to win this GP easily - we were fast during the qualification in cooler temp and also during the race with much higher air and track temp.
But - because there is always a but - the strategy team made terrible mistakes ( again...) that they cannot allow in the future.
If we perform well in SPA as well we might have a chance for WCC - regarding the WDC the team needs to decide sooner rather than later who is our numero uno for the rest of the year. Spoiler alert Lando.

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:02
thestig84 wrote:
Stop criticising. Stop thinking the drivers WC would be in the bag with 7 extra points 🙄. Be happy for a change. Enjoy the 1-2.
Spot on… I thought for a second that this place would be full of celebrations after the 1-2.
These two!
I’ve not even bothered to post a celebration/ congratulation to the team about the result after seeing the ‘thrown the championship away because of not scoring 7 points’

I will say to the critics, 7 points weren’t lost today. They were lost in Silverstone, Austria and Spain. Max will win another 3-5 races this season and sow up the WDC by quite a margin.

It’s seems the more success McLaren achieves the less I’ll read my teams thread.
Just a fan's point of view

Mattchu

Congratulations McLaren on a superb 1-2 in the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Xero

CjC wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:35
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:02
thestig84 wrote:
These two!
I’ve not even bothered to post a celebration/ congratulation to the team about the result after seeing the ‘thrown the championship away because of not scoring 7 points’

I will say to the critics, 7 points weren’t lost today. They were lost in Silverstone, Austria and Spain. Max will win another 3-5 races this season and sow up the WDC by quite a margin.

It’s seems the more success McLaren achieves the less I’ll read my teams thread.
Couldn't agree more.

billamend
billamend

Norris should have put his foot down. If the team wants to win the WDC, they need to be ruthless.

Time and time again he went through thin and thick for the team, only for the team to favor the other driver…

And they put Randy on the podium to make a mockery of the situation. Shameful.
Last edited by billamend on 21 Jul 2024, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.