2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
thestig84
thestig84

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Xero wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:05
CjC wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:35
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:02

Spot on… I thought for a second that this place would be full of celebrations after the 1-2.
These two!
I’ve not even bothered to post a celebration/ congratulation to the team about the result after seeing the ‘thrown the championship away because of not scoring 7 points’

I will say to the critics, 7 points weren’t lost today. They were lost in Silverstone, Austria and Spain. Max will win another 3-5 races this season and sow up the WDC by quite a margin.

It’s seems the more success McLaren achieves the less I’ll read my teams thread.
Couldn't agree more.
Yes, sad isn't it. Fortunately I've had the champagne out and thank the team for making very happy this evening. These days don't come around often and sport moves so quickly (/easy to get down on lows rather than enjoy the highs)
What a great day even though Pato just put it in the wall in Detroit 😕

propercare
propercare

Anyway, I believe I heard on Post Race show that the car will have a new FW for Spa. Anyone knows more about it?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

It's nice to know that my prediction before the start of the season is slowly starting to come true. The team is gradually reaching the competitive level of 2011-2012. They didn't have the fastest car in terms of the entire season, but they won 6 times during the season. This year could be a repeat of sorts. At least from that point of view, it's a big step forward, considering how the team began to fall down since 2013.

CjC
CjC

propercare wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:22
Anyway, I believe I heard on Post Race show that the car will have a new FW for Spa. Anyone knows more about it?
Now we are talking. Which post race show? Skys? I’ll have a re-watch if so.

However, I’d be surprised if it was a FW, I’d have expected a low drag RW to be honest.
Just a fan's point of view

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

billamend wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:12
Norris should have put his foot down. If the team wants to win the WDC, they need to be ruthless.

Time and time again he went through thin and thick for the team, only for the team to favor the other driver…

And they put Randy on the podium to make a mockery of the situation. Shameful.
They want to win the constructors championship, which is where the prize money is. I don't think they were thinking about Lando catching Max in the drivers championship at all today. The pitwall was focused on scoring maximum points.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

propercare wrote:
I haven't heard anything about that. I think it's more likely to see updates to the floor and sidepod than another front wing option. Maybe the top flap will be changed for lower downforce (cut off part). That's a possibility if they introduce a new low downforce spec rear wing.

geogate
geogate

Mclaren had probably the best strategy race they have run all season. They were being ruthless - thats why they got a 1-2. Norris isnt a number 1 driver. They had an agreement to let them race, Oscar gave Lando an advantage to allow him to secure second after, by agreement he had already won the race.
Oscar had call of pit timing - understand this people - the only reason he stopped when he did was to give Norris an advantage to be able to keep second. Oscar sacrificed his overall race pace for that. I cant believe people need this spelling out to them, it was so obviously the thing the team needed to do for a 1-2. Had Norris not given oscar the position, it would have been a betrayal

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

geogate wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:30
Mclaren had probably the best strategy race they have run all season. They were being ruthless - thats why they got a 1-2. Norris isnt a number 1 driver. They had an agreement to let them race, Oscar gave Lando an advantage to allow him to secure second after, by agreement he had already won the race.
Oscar had call of pit timing - understand this people - the only reason he stopped when he did was to give Norris an advantage to be able to keep second. Oscar sacrificed his overall race pace for that. I cant believe people need this spelling out to them, it was so obviously the thing the team needed to do for a 1-2. Had Norris not given oscar the position, it would have been a betrayal
Very much doubt he sacrificed his pace on purpose, especially when Lando caught up at the end of the 2nd stint after Oscar's mistake and then was told he could fight him. Then when he was closing the gap, they pitted him. Should've just pitted Oscar and then Lando, it would've saved them an unnecessary headache

geogate
geogate

if oscar pitted first at his optimum timing, Norris would have lost second place. He sacrificed his optimum pace because the team asked him to

CjC
CjC

geogate wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:30
Betrayal to the company who pays his very handsome wages.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:25
propercare wrote:
Now we are talking. Which post race show? Skys? I’ll have a re-watch if so.

However, I’d be surprised if it was a FW, I’d have expected a low drag RW to be honest.
Maybe they're worried about FIA possibly going harsh on flex-limits and are bringing a more conservative option.

billamend
billamend

taperoo2k wrote:
billamend wrote:
Norris should have put his foot down. If the team wants to win the WDC, they need to be ruthless.

Time and time again he went through thin and thick for the team, only for the team to favor the other driver…

They want to win the constructors championship, which is where the prize money is. I don't think they were thinking about Lando catching Max in the drivers championship at all today. The pitwall was focused on scoring maximum points.
That’s why Toto was so happy in 2021 with Mercedes winning the WCC…

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

billamend wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:57
taperoo2k wrote:
billamend wrote:

Verstappen is many more points ahead of Lando, with a lot more races to go. 2021 is irrelevant here. McLaren are ahead of schedule in terms of challenging for titles, 2025 was the goal.

billamend
billamend

taperoo2k wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 22:01
Verstappen is many more points ahead of Lando, with a lot more races to go. 2021 is irrelevant here. McLaren are ahead of schedule in terms of challenging for titles, 2025 was the goal.
It matters because you’re telling me that WCC is the most important. And i’m saying that no one cares for the WCC, not even the teams.

Dimond
Dimond

billamend wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:57
taperoo2k wrote:
billamend wrote:

They had won a lot of titles in the recent years. And McLaren's last WCC was when? 1998 iirc?