2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Rear wing. Ruth said Andrea let that one out. Obviously last year's Spa race was the weakest pace of all after the updates at Austria, they admitted they hadn't had time to prepare a wing for the very specific needs of Spa. This one's been in the pipeline for a while and like all McLaren's updates - it will work!

BMMR61

With so much negativity and disagreement among fans I think everyone's taken their positions. I haven't had cause to change my initial horror at the pitstop order and the division it caused. I do believe that the WDC is at least as important as the WCC, it's just not on the agenda this year. I prefer to shroud my feelings of disquiet about the team's strategy personnel and enjoy the result for what it is. I feel sorry for both our brilliant young drivers as the team's pit wall group again were found to have muddled thinking - without the benefit of hindsight. Come on McLaren - WCC in 2024, you can do it.

gcdugas

Mac could be leading the WCC in three short races, before Qatar. It's definitely on the cards if Checo keeps screwing up. By the end of the season, it is almost a certainty.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Norris is the senior driver, he has a chance at a title if everything falls apart for Red Bull, and Piastri made 2 mistakes and went off twice on his run. Plus Piastri is in a bit of a sophomore slump. In the first few races , Piastri was struggling with results.

If I was Norris, I would have told the team to pound sand.

All it would take is 2 DNFs and an engine penalty for Max for Norris to get close to the title.

But maybe this was good strategy on McLarens part. If they pitted them the opposite way , Norris probably catches Piastri and goes for a high risk pass. All passes here aren't particularly easy

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Piastri is getting cut a lot of slack from the F1 community. If George Russell or even Norris went 4 wheels way off the track while leading by himself , it would be a big talking point. But for Piastri , it's as if it never happened.

That's why McLaren did what they did They did not want Norris to be on Piastri's gearbox.

Watto
Watto

McLarens car development in recent times is fantastic great to see, always good seeing a season where its close.

I think today was tricky for them on one hand you lave Lando as the one that looks a chance chasing down Max this season. I think Oscars mistake put him under pressure of the undercut. so I think he cops some blame, but McLaren pitting Lando first always had the potential for disaster

BMMR61

There's a lot of unfamiliar accounts suddenly appearing now McLaren are (a) competitive and (b) having some strategy blunders. While we should welcome new people here, some of the stuff is just ridiculous, perhaps they could be called the Netflix generation. Just as McLaren are having fantastic results, beyond predictions, the bellyaching is hard to stomach (pun intended). We're entitled to our own opinions but I need a break from here after some of the hyperbolic stuff. I remain McLaren through and through, as some old salts used to say - if you cut him he would bleed orange (papaya)!

Ben1980
Ben1980

Still think a lot has been overblown. The team did what they thought was best to get a 1 and 2 with little risk. They achieved it.

When you look at it, the Lando pit, made sense, as Lewis was fast, as was Max at that time. 1 more lap, and it would be tight, 2 more laps and he would be behind Lewis and probably Leclerc. And as shown by Max getting past them wasn't easy.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

While it does look like the team was quite conservative in strategy, I can understand their decision, especially at a track where it is very hard to overtake. Tire delta doesn't really help a lot. Pitting the second guy first to protect against attack makes sense, I think they did this before as well but it wasn't for the race win so it got lost. They will need to think about that in the future, this caused unnecessary conflict but it was probably the safest way for the team to achieve 1-2.

For example, if the drivers are unwilling to swap back it could mean that they will have more problems defending against undercuts from drivers behind. Example: NOR P1, PIA P2, VER P3. If VER pits to undercut, without trust in the team NOR would then respond which would mean VER gets two laps to undercut PIA.

I am very happy with how Norris is carrying himself after the race. Initially he was slightly unhappy but gracious, but after a while he seems to be completely at ease with the decision. In their message to the fans, Stella, Norris and Piastri are all in good spirits and seems that there are no hard feelings. Which is great to see.

bauc

BMMR61 wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 06:23
There's a lot of unfamiliar accounts suddenly appearing now McLaren are (a) competitive and (b) having some strategy blunders. While we should welcome new people here, some of the stuff is just ridiculous, perhaps they could be called the Netflix generation. Just as McLaren are having fantastic results, beyond predictions, the bellyaching is hard to stomach (pun intended). We're entitled to our own opinions but I need a break from here after some of the hyperbolic stuff. I remain McLaren through and through, as some old salts used to say - if you cut him he would bleed orange (papaya)!
I know what you are saying, I'm Mclaren fan since 1997, when I'm cut I bleed silver and black :mrgreen:

Jokes a side, we all need to get used to be back in this position, its been 10+ years since we were truly competitive so lets all just give space, and we will be fine.

As for SPA, I think we can fight again for the win, especially if VER takes engine penalty as planned.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CjC
CjC

Looking at the cooler temperatures for Spa at the weekend I think Mercedes will be a threat.
Just a fan's point of view

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

It’s naive to think that we are all of a sudden in with a chance of WDC. We lost a lot of points before this race.
Let’s celebrate the fact there is a 1-2 for the team and a real good shout for the WCC if Perez has some more “off” races. RB20 will win races and Merc will be strong. 1-2s will be very hard to achieve at the back end of convergence.
Be happy! From where we started we’ve taken giant leaps. Some people it seems the glass is either never full enough and therefore always empty. Sad to see

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 03:36

All it would take is 2 DNFs and an engine penalty for Max for Norris to get close to the title.

This. And the way Max is driving, back to his 2021 era shenanigans, it is not unreasonable to think he may take himself out of a race or two.

There is no guarantee that McLaren have the fastest car again in 2025, so they should, IMHO, throw everything at giving Lando a shot of the title this season. If they do then there's a very real likelihood that the WCC comes with it.

This race proved to Oscar that the team supports him, but now they should be saying to him that Lando is the lead driver for the rest of the season and asking Oscar to support him.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

Emag
Emag

Will was right though. If a title fight starts to get real somehow, Lando would need Oscar's help. What happens if Lando is x points away from the lead at some point in the future and the only way to get that lead would be by sacrificing Oscar's race to either use him as a blockade for Max, or even simply moving away to give up a position for Lando. I don't think he would have played that game if Lando had won the race yesterday in bad faith.

The WDC remains a stretch. They need to execute races perfectly, and even then, there's no guarantee the car will remain in the position to fight for wins every weekend from now until Abu Dhabi. But if it somehow becomes a real target, they would have to play the team game to make it happen.

DDopey
DDopey

I think the decision was wrong for the simple reason that Piastri could not bring the fight to Norris. Sure, team orders around tyre savings that Piastri followed and disobeyed by Norris, but still the driver of the car decides the pace.