2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
-wkst-
-wkst-

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

It's not that easy. I think we agree that ALO gave everything in the inlap, nevertheless his S2 in the inlap was 3 tenths slower than ALB or OCO, who just pitted a lap before. Retroperspective it would have been better to stay out, no question (at least with STR it was the better decision - only team knows the deg of ALO until lap 7). But in this concrete seconds I wouldn't want to be the one who makes the decision.

They could listen to ALO, on the other hand last race in Silverstone ALO overruled the team and it was the wrong decision.

What is obvious that last year ALO and his engineer worked together in great harmony, really good team work. This year, for example the first stint yesterday, you get the feeling that the team and the driver talk past each other. They told STR plan A +5 in the first stint (that's +- lap 9 to stop originally). So ALO was more or less stopping plan A, why they don't talk with each other some laps before that he has a lot left?
Last edited by -wkst- on 22 Jul 2024, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

search

diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 03:28
I don't know why they used the mediums, they did 2 x 6 lap runs with them. They used new softs for hot runs in Fp3.
I think they just prioritized qualifying. One additional set of softs can get you further up on the grid, and that worked out pretty well. In Hungary, it's a strategy which can make sense.

diffuser

search wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 08:58
diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 03:28
I don't know why they used the mediums, they did 2 x 6 lap runs with them. They used new softs for hot runs in Fp3.
I think they just prioritized qualifying. One additional set of softs can get you further up on the grid, and that worked out pretty well. In Hungary, it's a strategy which can make sense.
You're right. You start with 13 tires:
2 hard
3 med
8 softs.

You return 2 after each FP, leaving 7 for the race and quali. They went into quali with 5 softs, 1 med and 1 hard new tires.

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 08:53
It's not that easy. I think we agree that ALO gave everything in the inlap, nevertheless his S2 in the inlap was 3 tenths slower than ALB or OCO, who just pitted a lap before. Retroperspective it would have been better to stay out, no question (at least with STR it was the better decision - only team knows the deg of ALO until lap 7). But in this concrete seconds I wouldn't want to be the one who makes the decision.

They could listen to ALO, on the other hand last race in Silverstone ALO overruled the team and it was the wrong decision.

What is obvious that last year ALO and his engineer worked together in great harmony, really good team work. This year, for example the first stint yesterday, you get the feeling that the team and the driver talk past each other. They told STR plan A +5 in the first stint (that's +- lap 9 to stop originally). So ALO was more or less stopping plan A, why they don't talk with each other some laps before that he has a lot left?
The one thing I noticed that changed after Alonso's pit stop was Hulk's pace slowed down by .5 a lap. He switched from offensive to defense. This allows for Stroll to up his pace so that he can pit and come out in front of Hulk. That fails cause of a slow pitstop. They couldn't have pitted Stroll when they pitted Alonso cause Stroll would have come out behind Albon.

This is all triggered by Hulk's pitstop on lap 2, it creates an opening of clean air behind Hulk. Albon pits to exploit the clean air to get ahead of the Alonso train, when Alonso has to pit.

KimiRai
KimiRai

In any case regardless of how bad the weekend was managed, at least it seems the worst is behind us. Trend has been more positive since Silverstone where the car looks like a regular Q3 contender again thanks to the new parts. We'll see how Spa goes, it could be a bit better than Hungary

Nikosar
Nikosar

Let's not forget that Alonso was still using the old engine. With the data collected during the race, SPA will be better even if the track is more demanding.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Nikosar wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 12:49
Let's not forget that Alonso was still using the old engine. With the data collected during the race, SPA will be better even if the track is more demanding.
Is will not any better because other teams also get new engine ! Krack said this track wasn't suits for us because lot of corners and long corners spa will be better fit tonour car. I don't eat this sh*t anymore!:S Last year only what we heard that on 2024 we.make a car which fill fit to every track. Here we are in 24 and now the track is not good not the car. They a 🤡 honestly! Is not the motor because look at McLaren, is not the Mercedes gearbox or suspension, because they also much faster! Is their car!

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

I hope the AM found the right way and now they can work on performance, because, Stroll and Alonso looks more confortable in that car, but, im afraid with the racepace. They still much better on qualy and falling down in the race, maybe the understeer still there, i dont know, look promising, but not too much. AM need to prove more things in the next 2,3 races. The AMR24 is literally the SF23 and Ferrari nedded a inteire season to make that competitive. the next car( AMR25) needs the complete rework and RIP AMR24.

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 13:14
Nikosar wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 12:49
Is will not any better because other teams also get new engine ! Krack said this track wasn't suits for us because lot of corners and long corners spa will be better fit tonour car. I don't eat this sh*t anymore!:S Last year only what we heard that on 2024 we.make a car which fill fit to every track. Here we are in 24 and now the track is not good not the car. They a 🤡 honestly! Is not the motor because look at McLaren, is not the Mercedes gearbox or suspension, because they also much faster! Is their car!
He just means, Alonso was using a PU with lots of KMs, so it's weaker than a fresh PU.

diffuser

Rikrikrik wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 13:38
I hope the AM found the right way and now they can work on performance, because, Stroll and Alonso looks more confortable in that car, but, im afraid with the racepace. They still much better on qualy and falling down in the race, maybe the understeer still there, i dont know, look promising, but not too much. AM need to prove more things in the next 2,3 races. The AMR24 is literally the SF23 and Ferrari nedded a inteire season to make that competitive. the next car( AMR25) needs the complete rework and RIP AMR24.
Their race pace was firmly in 5th place. Which is where they qualified if you forget the screw up from Russell and Perez.

max_speed
max_speed

Team is filled with clowns, firing is only way out.

SSJ4
SSJ4

I know it’s not definitive since doesn’t take into account traffic or management properly but it helps a bit.

Being that far off in sector 2 is crazy

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

Rikrikrik wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 13:38
The sf23 took a lot of poles and won a race, the amr24 barely made a top 3 in China and it's still a mystery how Alonso did it.

Big Gun
Big Gun

Despite Stroll Being on much newer tires, Alonso was still faster.....

GoranF1
GoranF1

It's going to nice cold and wet in Spa entire weekend. Car should work on that track.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."