2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

franbatista123 wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 15:08
Emag wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 15:03
Ground Effect wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 15:00
A bit off topic, I just heard Seidl is out at Sauber/Audi.
Scapegoat if true. They should get rid of James Key. Look at what he has done at Sauber. 2 relatively big upgrades on that car now and they're still at the bottom.

I guess you could say he is partly to blame though, because he was very keen on getting him when McLaren let him go.
Weren't the upgrades that turned Mclaren's season around last year still done under James Key?
The Baku package was overseen by James Key. The one that had barely any impact in the car's performance basically.

The Austria package was developed entirely by the team Andrea Stella put in place with Peter Prodromou leading aero efforts.

BMMR61

His wrong turn leaving McLaren to go to head a lemon project was our gain, sad but true, taking Key with him. We haven't looked back with gains at every turn.

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 15:25
His wrong turn leaving McLaren to go to head a lemon project was our gain, sad but true, taking Key with him. We haven't looked back with gains at every turn.
He was gone even if Audi didn't come for him. It was the reason we let him go without a grace period. Zak Brown has stated that the "problems" in the senior structure and how it needed to be remdiated was agreed around the time Mclaren were at Magny-Cour in 22. It was Stella who suggested what the problems and the subsequent fix were, in what transpired to be a job interview for the role of Team Principal.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

willmesquita

Do you know what's funny to see here in the last few days?

It's just that in the pre-season, before the tests, the optimists here dreamed of a good season with one or two victories, a third place in the Constructors' championship to, who knows, fight for the title in 2025 and start the new regulations on a high note.

And here we are, after half the season, with an occasional victory and a 1-2 with absolute merit, many points scored. Our opponents fear us on every track, and yet the arguments make it seem like the team is rubbish.

Drivers and engineers don't know what they're doing, top management is lost, only the car is good.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

BMMR61

willmesquita wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 15:47
Do you know what's funny to see here in the last few days?

It's just that in the pre-season, before the tests, the optimists here dreamed of a good season with one or two victories, a third place in the Constructors' championship to, who knows, fight for the title in 2025 and start the new regulations on a high note.

And here we are, after half the season, with an occasional victory and a 1-2 with absolute merit, many points scored. Our opponents fear us on every track, and yet the arguments make it seem like the team is rubbish.

Drivers and engineers don't know what they're doing, top management is lost, only the car is good.
Thanks for the positive observations. Yeah there's a lack of balance in may of the opinions here, and everywhere you look. Even the notably wobbly strategic side, when you look down the grid, there's evidence of it even among the top teams.

Red Bull - allowed undercut (twice) of Max at Hungary
Mercedes - didn't fuel George for the remainder of Q1 leaving him in the pits at the crucial time.
RB - seemingly panicked by undercut brought DR in to pit after 7 laps on medium tyres.
Aston Martin - pretty awful most weekends

So, undoubtedly we've left a lot of points go begging but the others are showing F1 isn't exactly a walk in the park. McLaren have in a sense been caught out by the high rate of development of the 38. Stella said there was the potential for ongoing incremental upgrades. Learning to win has been a victim of the speed of progress.
Oscar's development particularly in race pace is bringing the fight to Lando, the result being the convergence point when personal tensions need to be managed, is suddenly on management.

MTudor
MTudor

Like they said on The Race,this is not the Mclaren of Senna&Prost or Lewis&Fernando where we were used to be on the front and being used to have the presure of fighting at the top constantly,this is a young team with you drivers,young(ish) managementand they will figure it out Ihave every faith in Stella.

Darth-Piekus

MTudor wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 17:04
Like they said on The Race,this is not the Mclaren of Senna&Prost or Lewis&Fernando where we were used to be on the front and being used to have the presure of fighting at the top constantly,this is a young team with you drivers,young(ish) managementand they will figure it out Ihave every faith in Stella.
It might not be but it's on the road to write their own history as the Mclaren of Norris and Piastri by becoming constructor champions and if they also get the double then it will be a message to everyone that the emperor is back on the throne and the natural order has been restored.

Marc.W

I have a lot of respect for Seidl, he put a the building blocks in place for where we are today, Key on the other hand I lost faith in pretty soon after the disaster start to the 2022 regulations (which was repeated in 2023) I feel sorry for any team he ends up in lol

MTudor
MTudor

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 20:19
MTudor wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 17:04
It might not be but it's on the road to write their own history as the Mclaren of Norris and Piastri by becoming constructor champions and if they also get the double then it will be a message to everyone that the emperor is back on the throne and the natural order has been restored.

I like the EMPEROR part 👏👏👏

MTudor
MTudor

My thoughts about sunday:YES Lando is 1st driver in WDC for Mclaren ,but when the team said to him,to swap the positions with Oscar,Lando should have said ,OK,NO QUESTION ASKED,if he would have done so when the team told him,then he could have attackted Oscar in the remaining laps and who knows he could have passed him!
And YES the team screwed up by pitting Lando first,because no way Mercedes would have been quicker than Mclaren.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Piastri shouldn't have accepted the gifted win scenario. He knows Lando would have caught him anyway.

Piastri also went way off the track in that first strint. But the crowd is behind Piastri now so it doesn't matter. He makes mistakes and hardly anyone notices.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

MTudor wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 22:54
My thoughts about sunday:YES Lando is 1st driver in WDC for Mclaren ,but when the team said to him,to swap the positions with Oscar,Lando should have said ,OK,NO QUESTION ASKED,if he would have done so when the team told him,then he could have attackted Oscar in the remaining laps and who knows he could have passed him!
And YES the team screwed up by pitting Lando first,because no way Mercedes would have been quicker than Mclaren.
It wasn't a screw up though. They wanted to avoid Lando racing Piastri for the lead. They wouldn't have given him permission to fight anyway.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Marc.W wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 20:48
I have a lot of respect for Seidl, he put a the building blocks in place for where we are today, Key on the other hand I lost faith in pretty soon after the disaster start to the 2022 regulations (which was repeated in 2023) I feel sorry for any team he ends up in lol
Agreed, McLaren have him to thank for the wind tunnel, simulator, factory upgrade, Mercedes engine and signing Piastri. Unfortunately he also pushed for the Audi takeover, and kicked against the technical department restructure.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 23:24
Piastri shouldn't have accepted the gifted win scenario. He knows Lando would have caught him anyway.

Piastri also went way off the track in that first strint. But the crowd is behind Piastri now so it doesn't matter. He makes mistakes and hardly anyone notices.
Can't speak for anyone else, but from my perspective I see his mistakes. But I don't expect the same level from someone who's completed a season and a half vs 6.5 seasons.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Weather forecast has the ingredients for a very interesting weekend.
Friday - wet-ish
Saturday - wet
Sunday - dry
Will demand a compromising setup for Quali/Race and green track for the race with little to no information (depending on Friday) on dry tires running.