2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
vassilispapadop
vassilispapadop

Re: 2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

djos wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 09:00
vassilispapadop wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 08:48
if i may ask, why the analysis goes up to LAP60 and not LAP70(chequered flag)? Ultimately, the gap was over a pit stop between the two drivers.

EDIT: hypothetically, if no blue flags for RIC in the last 10 laps the gap could have been ~15seconds which is almost the same as it was on LAP30(16.3)
djos wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 08:23
Amongst the plethora of stories criticising the RB strategy imposed on Daniel, I found this story with a good theoretical analysis of what was realistically possible for him:

This is pretty much inline with what I guesstimated in my head.

https://apple.news/AQ_fd0E1-Qby1aoL6Lig7Fw
Honestly, I’m not entirely sure why they chose that window. Perhaps due to the life of the hard tires being suggested as 30 laps, after that you are just losing a lot of performance?

Chose to compare their entire stint which was very similar in terms of laps, compound, track conditions etc. Ι do believe with similar strategy to Yuki, RIC would have been in the points too. Though, i'm not sure whether Danny was actually the fastest RB driver this weekend. They have been really close, indeed. Yuki managed to pull away from the AMs during last laps(don't remember exactly when) which indicates that he managed his tires, controlled his pace and was getting ready for track position fight.

djos

vassilispapadop wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 09:10
djos wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 09:00
vassilispapadop wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 08:48
if i may ask, why the analysis goes up to LAP60 and not LAP70(chequered flag)? Ultimately, the gap was over a pit stop between the two drivers.

EDIT: hypothetically, if no blue flags for RIC in the last 10 laps the gap could have been ~15seconds which is almost the same as it was on LAP30(16.3)

Honestly, I’m not entirely sure why they chose that window. Perhaps due to the life of the hard tires being suggested as 30 laps, after that you are just losing a lot of performance?

Chose to compare their entire stint which was very similar in terms of laps, compound, track conditions etc. Ι do believe with similar strategy to Yuki, RIC would have been in the points too. Though, i'm not sure whether Danny was actually the fastest RB driver this weekend. They have been really close, indeed. Yuki managed to pull away from the AMs during last laps(don't remember exactly when) which indicates that he managed his tires, controlled his pace and was getting ready for track position fight.
I went back and checked, it was due to blue flags screwing up lap times for Daniel.
We’ll look at a 30-lap sample between laps 30 and 60 — after both drivers had completed their out-laps but before Ricciardo was forced to slow for blue flags.
"In downforce we trust"

Wouter

djos wrote:
Amongst the plethora of stories criticising the RB strategy imposed on Daniel, I found this story with a good theoretical analysis of what was realistically possible for him:

I think EVERYONE really criticizes the strategy. I haven't read anyone saying they thought it was a good decision to bring him in so early.
Let it go and enjoy Spa before the long summer break. :D
The Power of Dreams!

djos

Wouter wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 09:23
djos wrote:

I think EVERYONE really criticizes the strategy. I haven't read anyone saying they thought it was a good decision to bring him in so early.
Let it go and enjoy Spa before the long summer break. :D
👍 agreed, I just hadn’t seen anyone take a proper look at a realistic outcome, had RB not reacted to the soft tire guys that jumped the RB lads.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:

Both drivers stopped within a lap of each other — Ricciardo on lap 28 and Tsunoda on lap 29 — and both took new hard tyres, giving us a useful comparison.

We’ll look at a 30-lap sample between laps 30 and 60 — after both drivers had completed their out-laps but before Ricciardo was forced to slow for blue flags.

Tsunoda started 16.3 seconds ahead of Ricciardo on lap 30.

That margin was reduced to 10.4 seconds by the end of lap 60.

Both drivers lost time battling other cars during this stint. Subtracting those from the race time gives Ricciardo an extra 1.5 seconds, theoretically reducing his deficit to just 8.9 seconds.

That represents a gain of 7.5 seconds on Tsunoda over the stint — or, in other words, 0.3 seconds per representative lap.

Now consider that Ricciardo was carrying the penalty of an extra pit stop, worth just over 21 seconds.

The Aussie had been ahead of Tsunoda when he made that unnecessary first tyre change. Had he stayed out instead, kept ahead of Tsunoda and used the same strategy, he would’ve theoretically ended up as much as 28 seconds ahead of him by the end of the race.

Ricciardo would’ve finished ninth, a few seconds behind George Russell but comfortably ahead of Tsunoda and the rest of the midfield.

Yep that was a very good analysis. Frustrating we didn't see the optimum strategy for Dan as this is one of his favourite tracks. Another case of what might have been. Oh well into Spa now, hopefully the car is decent there.

djos

Yuki Tsunoda and Daniel Ricciardo are both confident heading into the Belgian Grand Prix and believe that recent strong performances from the team should translate at Spa.
https://apple.news/As-B2SP5zQKCVIBVAuUBhvw
"In downforce we trust"

ispano6

If both drivers feel confident in two different specs, then one unifying factor is that the halo boomerang is no longer there to cause unnecessary drag. I'm curious if whether or not the specs were really too different and if it was more set up oriented. I couldn't tell if both of the VCARBS had the new rear wing, but if Ricciardo did run with older spec parts maybe that made re-building Yuki's car possible. Then there is also the question if whether or not the newer spec car is actually a step forward from the Miami spec, which Spa may answer if they again run separate "specs". I imagine they will be like Red Bull and choose their package based on the track.

Both drivers also appear to have taken their 4th ICE so maybe there is a penalty looming similar to Max, but more likely they can take it if they qualify down the order at a track not suited for them. Spa may be similar to Imola and RB may have a shot at being in the points if their top speed is decent and can be sustained with the Honda PU.

djos

ispano6 wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 04:45
If both drivers feel confident in two different specs, then one unifying factor is that the halo boomerang is no longer there to cause unnecessary drag. I'm curious if whether or not the specs were really too different and if it was more set up oriented. I couldn't tell if both of the VCARBS had the new rear wing, but if Ricciardo did run with older spec parts maybe that made re-building Yuki's car possible. Then there is also the question if whether or not the newer spec car is actually a step forward from the Miami spec, which Spa may answer if they again run separate "specs". I imagine they will be like Red Bull and choose their package based on the track.

Both drivers also appear to have taken their 4th ICE so maybe there is a penalty looming similar to Max, but more likely they can take it if they qualify down the order at a track not suited for them. Spa may be similar to Imola and RB may have a shot at being in the points if their top speed is decent and can be sustained with the Honda PU.
Just looking at the photos from Hungary, I can't spot anything obviously different at all between the two cars - I can only assume that if there was a different spec, it was something like the floor or some other area that is hard to see.
"In downforce we trust"

search

According to Michael Schmidt, they went back to the Miami floor for Hungary. But he didn't specify is this was the case for both cars.

djos

search wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 09:58
According to Michael Schmidt, they went back to the Miami floor for Hungary. But he didn't specify is this was the case for both cars.
I thought I saw the team mention Daniel had the Miami spec too, the comments were not clear if that applied to Yuki also.
"In downforce we trust"

ispano6

Yuki's Valorant themed helmet

Also:
Tsunoda revealed that Marko came to him during last month’s Austrian Grand Prix to inform him that the next three races would be important for his future.

However, after a disappointing race in Spielberg the Japanese star assumed Marko was warning him that he could lose his current VCARB spot, rather than earn a promotion to Red Bull.

He said: “He told me in Austria that the next three races would be important for the future, but Austria wasn’t good.

“So I was thinking: ‘OK, maybe he’s talking about my future regarding my Formula 1 seat rather than the Red Bull seat!’

“So I was not really thinking or asking deeply about that.

“And it’s typical of Helmut that if I didn’t perform well for two races, or one race, immediately he comes to you and puts on pressure.

“So it was kind of a usual day for me. But after that, it was quite clear what I did at Silverstone in Hungary.

“Other than that. I haven’t had any conversations.”

Asked directly by PlanetF1.com if he views the Belgian Grand Prix as a crucial weekend to help sway Red Bull’s decision in his favour, Tsunoda reiterated his stance that he has already “proved enough” in F1 2024 to deserve a chance as Verstappen’s team-mate.

He said: “For every driver except Max, all races are critical. I’ve just got used to it and I just do my normal race.

“If you see the previous races since [Bahrain], it’s quite clear how much I’ve improved.

“The amount of Q3 appearances, the amount of points taken at [different] tracks, I think I’ve proved enough.

“Obviously this race will be important as well, but we’ll see how it goes.”
One problem is Checo had a semi-decent Hungary race, but Yuki has been more consistent. The other is RB need points scorers too. Hopefully Liam can step in there.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/yuki-tsun ... at-rumours

Wouter

ispano6 wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 17:00
https://external-preview.redd.it/yuki-t ... 0031d06d0e

Also:
Tsunoda revealed that Marko came to him during last month’s Austrian Grand Prix to inform him that the next three races would be important for his future.

-----------------------------

One problem is Checo had a semi-decent Hungary race, but Yuki has been more consistent. The other is RB need points scorers too. Hopefully Liam can step in there.

According to Will Buxton Ricciardo will go to RBR after the summerbreak. (According to a visitor in the paddock)
The Power of Dreams!

djos

ispano6 wrote:

Also:

However, after a disappointing race in Spielberg the Japanese star assumed Marko was warning him that he could lose his current VCARB spot, rather than earn a promotion to Red Bull.

He said: “He told me in Austria that the next three races would be important for the future, but Austria wasn’t good.

“So I was thinking: ‘OK, maybe he’s talking about my future regarding my Formula 1 seat rather than the Red Bull seat!’

“And it’s typical of Helmut that if I didn’t perform well for two races, or one race, immediately he comes to you and puts on pressure.

“So it was kind of a usual day for me. But after that, it was quite clear what I did at Silverstone in Hungary.

Asked directly by PlanetF1.com if he views the Belgian Grand Prix as a crucial weekend to help sway Red Bull’s decision in his favour, Tsunoda reiterated his stance that he has already “proved enough” in F1 2024 to deserve a chance as Verstappen’s team-mate.

He said: “For every driver except Max, all races are critical. I’ve just got used to it and I just do my normal race.

“If you see the previous races since [Bahrain], it’s quite clear how much I’ve improved.

“The amount of Q3 appearances, the amount of points taken at [different] tracks, I think I’ve proved enough.

Yuki’s helmet design looks amazing! I love it!

TBH, I don’t think Helmet has the power he used too, and now he just seems to spend his time stirring things up. It’s petty clear Christian holds all the cards at RBR more and helmet is just an advisor who runs the junior program only.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Wouter wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 17:36
ispano6 wrote:

Also:

According to Will Buxton Ricciardo will go to RBR after the summerbreak. (According to a visitor in the paddock)
The media generally are seem be back to saying it’s Daniel who will get the seat. Apparently Perez has cost them more than 6 million dollars in repairs, not to mention the huge points gap to Max.

The rationale is, Daniel is a safe pair of hands (rarely crashes due to his own mistakes), form is now very consistent, and they know he’ll play well with Max and isn’t likely to lose his temper and do stupid things (and even when he does, he’s very restrained).

They are also saying that Perez will be dumped to a 3rd driver role and Liam will get the VCARB seat.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

ispano6 wrote:

Also:

Thats a great looking helmet! Love it. Dan's is really cool too for Spa!

https://x.com/mereeedithh/status/1816569810274140411