2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Macafangrskg wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 11:31
Small change but significant in weather update. Today prediction remain unchanged.FP1 wet , FP2 dry. Tomorrow FP3 Wet but Q dry . Temps today in the dry about 21C then in Q on Saturday drop to 17C and on race dry and back to 21C. The FP2 is very important today about race pace and Q trim since it will be the only dry session
That’s not bad.

willmesquita

To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

geogate
geogate

PapayaFan481 wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 02:39
geogate wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 21:45
Mclaren dont have number 1 drivers. Even in the days of Senna, he wasnt a number 1. Its only just half way through the season and you want one of our drivers to work for the other guy? Some of you are following the wrong team
You clearly didn't follow the team in 1998 when Coulthard allowed Mika to pass him for the win in Australia.
lol, I was following it quite intently as it happens - modesty precludes me from telling you just how off base that comment was

Emag
Emag

Looking at S2 performance, they will probably need a little bit more downforce at the rear.

RedBull is flying.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Early in the weekend but I'd say that the fact that oscar is already ahead of both mercs and ferrari is very encouraging.

We will be there or thereabouts however the weather will play a fair part

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Lando had some issues on his hot laps - abandoned first run after S1 and then abandoned his second run in S3 (in the last corner).

Just very early.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'm not one to jump to conclusions but Verstappen looks extremely dominant in S2 and comparable to others in S1 and S3.

Hopefully they can dial in some speed in FP2 and FP3.

mwillems

Yeah they will look at the complete setup. Floor ride height and suspension settings will be dialled in to get optimum downforce and then wings tweaked where necessary if they can't use a more efficient way of generating a good DF/Speed balance. Telemetry will be released shortly and we can see the relative strengths of the cars in this early session. Usual caveat of it not being very representative.

That said, I think the expectation is that Red Bull will be quick. I just hope the margin is small or non existent so we can take advantage of the Red Bull penalty.
Last edited by mwillems on 26 Jul 2024, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:29
I'm not one to jump to conclusions but Verstappen looks extremely dominant in S2 and comparable to others in S1 and S3.

Albon and Verstappen have new engines. Maybe that also has an effect. Max already has a 10-place penalty. In any case, McLaren needs to step it up in the second sector. I think there's a bit of downforce missing.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:37
Yeah they will look at the complete setup. Floor ride height and suspension settings will be dialled in to get optimum downforce and then wings tweaked where necessary if they can't use a more efficient way of generating a good DF/Speed balance. Telemetry will be released shortly and we can see the relative strengths of the cars in this early session. Usual caveat of it not being very representative.

That said, I think the expectation is that Red Bull will be quick. I just hope the margin is small or non existent so we can take advantage of the Red Bull penalty.
And also a beam wing for the lowest downforce. This also has an effect. But on the straights it is now an effective car. Not like it was last year.

Emag
Emag

LionsHeart wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:39
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:29

Albon and Verstappen have new engines. Maybe that also has an effect. Max already has a 10-place penalty. In any case, McLaren needs to step it up in the second sector. I think there's a bit of downforce missing.
To be fair McLaren is a tenth clear of the next nearest competitor in S2. It's just that RedBull is crazy fast.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:45
mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:37

And also a beam wing for the lowest downforce. This also has an effect. But on the straights it is now an effective car. Not like it was last year.
https://i.ibb.co/1fbMFLg/DBD85451-8-EB5 ... C7-D95.jpg
Ahhh yes I was going to ask about the Beam Wing. This one is particularly interesting because a increasing for a small amount of drag penalty will offer a greater floor efficiency for a lesser drag penalty than messing with the rear wing.

I actually assumed the BW would be bigger here.

We tend not to see pictures of the beam wings much, these days, despite being a critical indicator in the setup

-Bandit

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Do both cars have the new wing?

Macklaren
Macklaren

Will we set up for wet Quali or Dry race? and what about Red Bull?

mwillems

We look quick on the straight, RB look quick on the one true High Speed corner 10 - 11, which they take at full speed. But we take so much off the throttle I feel that either the gap is huge or it just isn't trying to go flat out there yet.

A large portion of the time lost appears to stem from turn 7, not sure if there was a slide, a run off track or what happened, but I don't think this will be the case later as in comparable turns in speed and profile we don't have the same issue.

I don't think the gap is huge, based on FP1. But we will see. All the gaps look exaggerated however so it is very clearly not representative timings and I think we are a long way from the truth.

-Bandit