2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SKYnRacing24

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Jdn1327 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:46
I think Lewis's side of the garage were racing thinking that Russell was gonna stop.
Exactly this. Yeah its a 1-2 but Lewis was screwed. No other team would of done what merc did.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

atanatizante

Those 7kph DRS delta in RUS` favor did the job today and that lower DF setup choice he made yesterday.

However, that doesn`t diminish the brilliant bet on that strategy today with 34 laps on the C2 at this almost repaved track. Maybe this was the main reason behind this strategy. But I`m convinced that wasn`t dreamt even in the wildest dreams of someone ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

proteus

Tommy.G wrote:
Bill wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:40
Tommy.G wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:34
This is why Hamilton is leaving!

Red Bull would have ordered Russell to move over and defend against Piastri!

Mercedes has always been undermining this guy! They can never put him No1…
he is leaving because he wants to be no1 .i like merc policy because they always allow their drivers to race.lewis still has 0.7 tenth advantage so he have pulled a move
Look at McLaren!

Piastri leads the whole race at Hungary, gets the wrong strategy and ends up behind Norris! They invert them!

Same thing happened with Hamilton! They gave him the wrong strategy…so why not invert at the end?

Cause he’s leaving probably…
Completely wrong. Apples and oranges. George alone suggested to go till the end, was even asked if he is sure. Lewis had the same chance.

Its not the first time George risked it, but it is the first time it paid off so greatly.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

I mean, it’s nothing to be discussed really. Mercedes did everyting right, as did Hamilton, as did Russell.
Hamilton could have done nothing differently and would have won the race easily if not for Russell’s big risk taking. Which wasn’t really risk taking in the end, since all knew that there was no tyre wear and that the tyre could last. But Russell was the only one out of him and Hamilton who could even make that call, as he had nothing to lose. Hamilton had to respond to others normal stategies, as Russell would had the roles been reversed. Shame for Hamilton that it panned out like this though.

What a bizarre race.

Mtshali_Motorsport
Mtshali_Motorsport

George Russel threw in the hail mary and it worked for him. Despite Piastri's demon charge, Merc got the 1-2 on merit despite looking like they were nowhere in the beginning of the weekend

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

proteus wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:50
Tommy.G wrote:
Bill wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:40

he is leaving because he wants to be no1 .i like merc policy because they always allow their drivers to race.lewis still has 0.7 tenth advantage so he have pulled a move
Look at McLaren!

Piastri leads the whole race at Hungary, gets the wrong strategy and ends up behind Norris! They invert them!

Same thing happened with Hamilton! They gave him the wrong strategy…so why not invert at the end?

Cause he’s leaving probably…
Completely wrong. Apples and oranges. George alone suggested to go till the end, was even asked if he is sure. Lewis had the same chance.

Its not the first time George risked it, but it is the first time it paid off so greatly.
Lewis didn’t have the same chance. Had Hamilton asked to do a one stopper in the position he was in, everyone would have called him a total idiot had it failed. No one knew it was gonna work. It was a high risk that paid off. Simple as that.

kenshi_blind

Guess we were watching difference race, judging by Piastri comment during the race saying that dirty air was key, Norris unable to pass Max (similarly paced cars) and Lewis side of the garage shortening his stints
thinking George side will do the same strat as usual then it was obvious Lewis was never going to pass Russel
Track position and dirty air was key

mkay
mkay

Spacepace wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:48
Hamilton had to come in early to cover the undercut. Russell, Sainz, Norris and Verstappen were really the only drivers that would have been able to pull off a one stop. It was a hail Mary call and it just so happened to work. Was sure that those tyres would have hit the wall at lap 40 but they held on
That's the thing, though. Hamilton didn't need to come in early to cover the undercut. Leclerc had a poor pitstop and Hamilton had plenty of tread on his tyres. He said so himself in the cool down room.

Hamilton with 2-3 lap younger tyres would have probably been enough to pass Russell for the win.

CHT
CHT

LH signed a new 2 years contract with Merc last summer, and by Dec he decided to leave for Ferrari.
The reason for leaving is simply down to his desire to win 8th WDC. He was delusional about Merc lack of pace and its ability to turn things around after 2 years of no wins no poles.

With this strong 1-2 finish, and Ferrari lack of race pace, I am sure LH must be questioning if he made the right decision to quit the team.

I think it was wrong to say Merc doesnt give team orders, I remember Toto made a call at Suzuka last year, despite not being in Japan.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

mkay wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:53
Spacepace wrote:
Hamilton had to come in early to cover the undercut. Russell, Sainz, Norris and Verstappen were really the only drivers that would have been able to pull off a one stop. It was a hail Mary call and it just so happened to work. Was sure that those tyres would have hit the wall at lap 40 but they held on
That's the thing, though. Hamilton didn't need to come in early to cover the undercut. Leclerc had a poor pitstop and Hamilton had plenty of tread on his tyres. He said so himself in the cool down room.

Hamilton with 2-3 lap younger tyres would have probably been enough to pass Russell for the win.
No. That would have been too much of a risk to leave him out even longer. He would have trouble passing Leclerc had they been undercut at that stage. Almost impossible to pass similarly paced cars today.

Luscion
Luscion

CHT wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:55
LH signed a new 2 years contract with Merc last summer, and by Dec he decided to leave for Ferrari.
The reason for leaving is simply down to his desire to win 8th WDC. He was delusional about Merc lack of pace and its ability to turn things around after 2 years of no wins no poles.

With this strong 1-2 finish, and Ferrari lack of race pace, I am sure LH must be questioning if he made the right decision to quit the team.

I think it was wrong to say Merc doesnt give team orders, I remember Toto made a call at Suzuka last year, despite not being in Japan.
Lewis wanted 3 years, Merc gave him a 1+ 1 and was not guaranteed a seat for the new regs, Toto himself talked about why they did this, not wanting to lose out on a young talent in Kimi like they did with Verstappen
Last edited by Luscion on 28 Jul 2024, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.

kenshi_blind

CHT wrote:

Get your facts straights instead of lying and making stuff up.They did not give him a 2 year contract. it was a one year and another optional ..which mean was it means

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

mkay wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:53
Spacepace wrote:

Uh, didn't leclerc gain like 1.5seconds on lewis with the undercut? Had Lewis stayed out he would have been behind leclerc. The undercut was powerful and track position was key here. George had no risk and all reward in his call. I understand Lewis's frustration but it was a well deserved 1,2 for Mercedes

madsonit
madsonit

CHT wrote:

Beginning of the season, people were saying he made a great decision. Now because Merc is faster, that he made a bad decision. The reality is you never know. It’s always a gamble switching teams.

kenshi_blind

Luscion wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:57
CHT wrote:

Lewis wanted 3 years, Merc gave him a 1+ 1 and was not guaranteed a seat for the new regs, Toto himself talked about why they did this, not wanting to lose out on a young talent like they did with Verstappen
Which made the no-call from Merc baffling. they knew Lewis was screwed. Toto just said one stop or two stop was P5 for Russel so they took a gamble then why not give priority to your lead driver who followed your calls even though he had tire life to spare in all his stints? Lewis's attitude in the cool room says it all
Last edited by kenshi_blind on 28 Jul 2024, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.