2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chasefreak
chasefreak

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Lando needs to buck up his race starts. So far all starts have been botched up big Time

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:37
McLaren severely underestimated the tires. If Russell could do it then surely Norris could have gone long. Worst case he ends up around Perez or Sainz. But still, tough race. The low downforce setup didn't seem to help that much as tires were durable so most drivers could push.

Good work by Piastri. A shame Norris couldn't push his way alongside Verstappen, get him to start evaluating how much risk he is willing to take.
Piastri had a 5 second lead over Russell as when he stopped for the second time…. Lando had 4 laps fresher tyres than Oscar.
Mclaren duffed up a 1-3 here. Again
Just a fan's point of view

Macklaren
Macklaren

It's amazing how the things that in the last 5 years people would classify as "bad luck", people around here are calling "omgz incompetent strategy" now. Just like Hungary Oscar needlessly made his life more difficult with his pitstop mistake. As for poor pace in dirty air, EVERYONE had the same problem in the top 10. They need to bring back the old kemmel straight DRS

mwillems

proteus wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:43
mwillems wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:42
proteus wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:40

It was the sum of mistakes snd misfortunes. Leclerc alone cost him aditional 2 seconds.
It's why I wouldn't be so hard on strategy. 4 seconds closer with a faster car. It could have been Oscar's.
Indeed. I must admit i thought George would get eaten by lap 40...
Toto said as much. Obviously the track had much more evolution and grip in it than we thought.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Gillian
Gillian

Very good drive by Piastri! This kid keeps improving every race! Norris was a bit sloppy but still great pace overall. It's fine margins right now... More wins to come for both drivers I'm sure.

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:45
It's amazing how the things that in the last 5 years people would classify as "bad luck", people around here are calling "omgz incompetent strategy" now. Just like Hungary Oscar needlessly made his life more difficult with his pitstop mistake. As for poor pace in dirty air, EVERYONE had the same problem in the top 10. They need to bring back the old kemmel straight DRS
I don't think the teams choices were as bad as some suggest. But they still weren't good. We don't look like we want to call the shots at the front, take risks... we seems largely reactive. We do need to improve.

You saw how tight it was at the end and how tight it is every race.

Fine margins count. But if you're going to call out the team, call out the driver too. They managed to equally do themselves out of a chance to win.

It's just that I know Oscar will improve and he's only 1.5 seasons into his career, so you can let it go. Team need to improve a bit.

Also, Mclaren fans behaving spoilt and entitled with commentators suggestions about pace, tin foil hats on if any suggests the team are running fast on Friday. Lando for the WDC... I mean, fans need to get a grip too.
Last edited by mwillems on 28 Jul 2024, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

chasefreak wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:44
Lando needs to buck up his race starts. So far all starts have been botched up big Time
All?

Darth-Piekus

Positives and negatives

Positive is that we got 10 more points and the difference is now 43. The car is well balanced and we are gonna eat them all alive in Zadvoort and GPs that dont have enough straights.

Negatives is the person responsible for the terrible strategies, Lando's terrible starts amd the lack of big packages. Lando if you continue like this you arent gonna be champion. Not today not tomorrow even if you got the best car.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:50
chasefreak wrote:
All?
He's thrown away several places and many points this year. Much more than the 7 points he "lost" from last race.

-Bandit

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

We took points out of Red Bull in the WCC. That's a positive. Mercedes rolled the dice and came up double sixes today, could just have easily gone the other way for Russell. McLaren could have tried the same with Lando, indeed when they initially left him out before the first stop, I thought they were trying a 1 stop.

C'est la vie. Team wasn't on top form today. Lando made a mistake at turn 1 that cost him massively, ultimately it may have cost him the win as he was right there with Oscar going into T1. Oscar made that mistake at his second stop (the mechanic is going to ache tomorrow!! Thankfully I believe they actually train for how to react in that situation and he didn't look like he took TOO much energy into his body) which also may have cost him the win. Strategy wasn't the best.

But honestly on what I think we could class as an off-weekend, we still scored good points, got a podium and reduced the lead in the WCC. It's not that long ago we'd have been happy with that outcome. It speaks volumes of the team's progress that we're now disappointed with it!!

Bring on the rest of the season!!
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Ben1980 wrote:
chasefreak wrote:
All?
Watching the reply of the start, Lando got away well, it was going off in T1 that cost him.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

BMMR61

Lots of wise-after-the-event criticism. There was great mystery of how the track would evolve, how the tyres would degrade, and how the shorter DRS zone would work. It proved to be a very hard track to overtake on. Even Lewis with much fresher tyres couldn't get it done at the end.

Oscar came flying home, rattling off 46s nearly a second a lap quicker than the leaders. I agree that a decent pitstop would have given him a shot at the win but the overtake would be hard if the two Merc were together anyway. Lando, well what can you say? Is he learning anything now he has a competitive car, same errors. Oscar is improving at such a rate and is looking the more reliable racer.

chasefreak
chasefreak

Ben1980 wrote:
chasefreak wrote:
All?
I can’t remember when did he get a good start after being in the fastest car

chasefreak
chasefreak

PapayaFan481 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:54
Ben1980 wrote:
chasefreak wrote:
All?
Watching the reply of the start, Lando got away well, it was going off in T1 that cost him.
But that’s always been the issue. He is not able to keep it clean

chasefreak
chasefreak

The team needs to have that killer instinct It’s missing the all out attack. And that’s killing me too