2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mkay
mkay

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Had that statement ready from the get go.

DGP123
DGP123

Lewis should be targeting the 3rd spot in the wdc from here, which is quite something, given the start of the season

RacePaceDemon

Yayyyy. 105, beautiful. First repeat winner except verstappen?
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

Luscion
Luscion

Pretty meh way to get the 105th imo, i cant imagine he'd be celebrating too much. Won because of a decision post race, team loses their 1-2 finish and loses points to Ferrari in the WCC

DDopey
DDopey

So what is the deal between Toto and Russel. Even before the weighing Toto did not seem overly excited. Now maybe he knew during the ceremony, but not showing up is kinda bad.

Peter Piper

Just trying to get my head around this...

So:
- The Merc mechanics declared they'd drained all the fuel from the car
- Actually there was some fuel left, which was then drained
- The car was weighed and found to be under the weight limit

Is that right?

I'm comparing this to the BAR incident in my mind and thinking about what happened to them.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

If I'm Lewis, I'm not going to give a damn about how it feels to get the win here.

If I'm Lewis, the biggest thing I want to know is why I'm racing on saturday and sunday with a car approaching 2kg heavier than.that of my team mate, given that every kg removed lowers laptime by a tenth or so which amounts to seconds in total at the end of the race.

How many times could this have happened at tracks where there was a cool down lap to pick up rubber and nobody would have noticed?

And considering the gap was 0.5 at the chequered flag and that he could have had a couple.more laps to attempt to.pass.

And that's before we even talk about Lewis saying they switched their strategies without telling him.

Or the seeming lack of any chatter about whether George was on the one stop and what he needed pushing wise to maintain his lead.

And then there's Lewis concluding early on that his car will not be faster than George's on Saturdays this year.

It all has a bit of a poo poo smell to it.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 28 Jul 2024, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

It’s not the first time the Brackley based team have been found to run underweight once the last remaining litre of fuel is drained from the car…..
Just a fan's point of view

mafeotul
mafeotul

I’m a bit in awe of the whole situation. Number one, how did Mercedes end up with a reverted upgrade, the fastest on race pace?

Once the mechanical issue was resolved, where do the new upgrades place them relative to MCL?

How on earth do you do such a mistake, then not drain the car? It has to be one of the most braindead decisions I have long seen in Formula 1.

And I know this isn’t the thread, but golly, what’s going on at RedBull?

chrisc90

Pretty bad the team tried to lie about having drained all the fuel aswell.

mafeotul
mafeotul

GrizzleBoy wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:25
If I'm Lewis, I'm not going to give a damn about how it feels to get the win here.

If I'm Lewis, the biggest thing I want to know is why I'm racing with a car approaching 2kg heavier than.that of my team mate, given that every kg removed lowers laptime by a tenth or so which amounts to seconds in total at the end of the race.

And considering the gap was 0.5 at the chequered flag and that he could have had a couple.more laps to attempt to.pass.

And that's before we even talk about Lewis saying they switched their strategies without telling him.

Or the seeming lack of any chatter about whether George was on the one stop and what he needed pushing wise to maintain his lead.

It all has a bit of a poo poo smell to it.
It has, it seems either foul play, or amateurism of the highest order.

Either way, the rightful winner of the race has won.

I don’t know what some fans of the team expect. Lewis is no longer the priority of the team, and he shouldn’t be really despite his talent and speed, as he no longer is continuing with them next season. I love some conspiracy myself, but anyone should be able to guess that this is the case.

Peter Piper

chrisc90 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:29

BAR were banned for two races for what appears to be exactly the same behaviour.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

mafeotul wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:27
I’m a bit in awe of the whole situation. Number one, how did Mercedes end up with a reverted upgrade, the fastest on race pace?

Once the mechanical issue was resolved, where do the new upgrades place them relative to MCL?

How on earth do you do such a mistake, then not drain the car? It has to be one of the most braindead decisions I have long seen in Formula 1.

Well they ran a very high DF setup relative to others teams. They were lacking to speed/were stuck in a DRS train
I think Verstappen would've won if he had started on pole without the penalty. Clear air was very important today, Verstappen's race explain also why it was difficult for Lewis to overtake Russell (especially given Russell was running a lower DF setup than Lewis, he was constantly faster in S1 & S3)

The gap with the rest of the field is just not as big as it was !

Luscion
Luscion

mafeotul wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:27

I wouldnt be surprised if the upgrade make them faster, everything they've brought worked, minus this weekend which turned out to not even be an upgrade issue.

I assume Merc didnt take into account the issues with doing a one stop, there was also no safety cars, yellow flags etc and like someone mentioned its quite odd Lewis was told to lift and coast but not Russell

chrisc90

Peter Piper wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:31
chrisc90 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:29

BAR were banned for two races for what appears to be exactly the same behaviour.
Part of the problem with teams being able to self-scrutinise their cars prior to the race weekend.