2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Matt2725
Matt2725

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Spoutnik wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 09:22
PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 07:38
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:54

Russell was on the pole that race. And issues with the car started on lap 4. And I was just saying he was ahead at one point , not at the time of retirement.

"poetic justice lol" Stay classy. There will be some poetic justice in the next half of the session alright.
We are in Hamilton's "Purple patch" of the season now. In it he is performs better and his luckyness stat skyrockets! (then declines dramatically at the end of it unfortuantely!)

He seems to have lucked out today too.
He's usually better after the summer break... Can't wait to see this
We'll see. Lewis hasn't had the best results at Baku, and that's coming in the latter part of the season this time.
Could just be the circuits in the latter half, often suit him more?

Merc will be keen to get George his win "back" however I'd wager.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Matt2725 wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 09:36
Spoutnik wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 09:22
PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 07:38

We are in Hamilton's "Purple patch" of the season now. In it he is performs better and his luckyness stat skyrockets! (then declines dramatically at the end of it unfortuantely!)

He seems to have lucked out today too.
He's usually better after the summer break... Can't wait to see this
We'll see. Lewis hasn't had the best results at Baku, and that's coming in the latter part of the season this time.
Could just be the circuits in the latter half, often suit him more?

Lewis is very strong usually at Austin, not bad at Interlagos as we saw in 2021, 5 wins at Monza and Ferrari driver next year so it will be special for him, I think Zandvoort suits his driving style but it's quite a recent track. We know how strong he can be in Abu Dhabi as well as in Qatar...

For sure they'll pay him back but it will probably be at the expense of Lewis

I’m reminded that they slapped on and setup a new package absent of any dry testing yesterday that was both competitive & winning; they’ve come along way. It’s a great sign
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

erudite450
erudite450

214270 wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 10:47
I’m reminded that they slapped on and setup a new package absent of any dry testing yesterday that was both competitive & winning; they’ve come along way. It’s a great sign
This! One thing we can say for sure is that they have a very good understanding of the car now and their calibration tools are back on point.

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Okay, if someone knows, will Mercedes back upgrades from race in Spa to race in Zandvoort?

erudite450
erudite450

Formula 1 fan wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 11:20
Okay, if someone knows, will Mercedes back upgrades from race in Spa to race in Zandvoort?
The updates weren't the issue. They found some other technical issue so the updates will expectedly be back in Zandvoort. The jury is still out on whether the updates are indeed upgrades; hopefully so.

ItsMe
ItsMe

Can we estimate it?

A: The circumference of the rear wheel is 226 cm
B: The width of this tire is 40.5 cm
C: And let's choose a 1 mm rubber tread. (0.1cm)

Then the volume of this 1 mm rubber sheet is V=AxBxC
V = 915.3 cm3

Mass = density x volume
The estimated density of the rubber is 1.1 grams/cm3

m = 1006.83 grams/1.007 kg

So a rubber sheet of this thickness and size is 1kg.

As a rough, very rough estimate, would that fit the tires of an F1 car? Obviously, one wheel does not wear evenly, the 4 wheels do not wear equally, and we do not know the properties of the tread. But is it still possible for 1 wheel to lose weight in Kg during its lifetime?
Last edited by ItsMe on 29 Jul 2024, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Matt2725 wrote:

They'll be keen (desperate?) for George to finish the season ahead of Lewis in the WDC. They'll look a bit silly if the guy they let go finishes ahead of the guy they're keeping.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Quantum

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 13:17
Matt2725 wrote:

They'll be keen (desperate?) for George to finish the season ahead of Lewis in the WDC. They'll look a bit silly if the guy they let go finishes ahead of the guy they're keeping.
That's imposition of bias.
I think they'll be keen to sign of Lewis time with Merc on a high.

The kneejerk reaction every time George beats Lewis is team favouritism. That's not healthy at all.
"Interplay of triads"

erudite450
erudite450

Quantum wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 13:56
Just_a_fan wrote:
Matt2725 wrote:

The kneejerk reaction every time George beats Lewis is team favouritism. That's not healthy at all.
I don't believe a team would ever try to sabotage their own driver more so Mercedes and Hamilton after the history they have together.

That said, it's logical to think that they would prefer that Russell finishes ahead especially as it's unlikely they are getting Verstappen for next year. That doesn't amount to sabotage, just that it makes more sense for them PR wise. I personally believe that if Hamilton wasn't leaving the team, they would have asked Russell to allow Hamilton to pass considering they were on different strategies.

djones
djones

Unless Adrian is off to Ferrari, then I imagine Hamilton is starting to regret the move right about now.

Zxeros
Zxeros

djones wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 14:57
Unless Adrian is off to Ferrari, then I imagine Hamilton is starting to regret the move right about now.
Why would he regret the move? Mercedes offered him a 1 year deal, there was no chance he was going to sign it.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

djones wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 14:57
I don't think, even if he would've stayed he would've been seen as the past (Russell being the future) and the "Russell treatment" would be the same. Not ideal for him, and I don't even want to think about how things would've unfold if Merc produced a car fighting for the WDC...

Also, the main issue was the one year contract as it was for Alonso with Alpine in 2023. So, in reality Lewis had no choice, he had to accept being relegated to kind of a number 1,5 driver let's say, with short contract like Bottas in his time, or leaving for Ferrari

I think it's a no brainer

Dunlay
Dunlay

erudite450 wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 14:14
Quantum wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I don't believe a team would ever try to sabotage their own driver more so Mercedes and Hamilton after the history they have together.

That said, it's logical to think that they would prefer that Russell finishes ahead especially as it's unlikely they are getting Verstappen for next year. That doesn't amount to sabotage, just that it makes more sense for them PR wise. I personally believe that if Hamilton wasn't leaving the team, they would have asked Russell to allow Hamilton to pass considering they were on different strategies.
Usually, if a driver behind has got preferred strategy, then there is a case for that driver to let the other driver pass, who was ahead in the race. Like a priority pit stop, ahead of driver in front for strategic reasons. Like it was in Hungary last week between McLarens. One stop was not a preferred strategy and hence, there was no question of asking the driver that made the non-preferred strategy work, to move aside even if Hamilton was staying.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Quantum wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Matt2725 wrote:

Not imposing anything on anyone. It's reasonable to expect the team to want their remaining driver to finish above the driver that is leaving. Human nature, basically. In 2016, if Mercedes had known that Nico was going to retire immediately after winning the title, do you think they might have done things differently? I'm sure they would.

Not suggesting they will actively hinder Lewis but I wouldn't be surprised if any 50/50 calls go George's way more than Lewis's.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.