2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
31 Jul 2024, 15:59
90feet wrote:
31 Jul 2024, 15:33
Emag wrote:
31 Jul 2024, 12:24
but also Silverstone was gifted to them because McLaren had two drivers capable of going for the win there but they were both screwed over by questionable strategy decisions.
I don't agree with this at all. We were only the fastest car in Silverstone when it was damp and everyone was running worn inters. The only way we win that race is if we build a huge gap in that phase and then there are no safety cars. But in full wet or full dry conditions, other cars were much faster.
Oscar was the fastest driver, or joint-fastest with Max at the last stint ...

If Lando goes out on mediums instead of softs, it's almost 100% guaranteed he overtakes Lewis on-track. Only had 2.something seconds to make up.
Not quite sure it was that cut and dried. He would have still had max chasing him down, on tyres up to temp.

He could have won, he also may not have won. It's not 100%

Ben1980
Ben1980

The Mclaren has been very good, but the Mercedes deserved the win in Spa and was better in qualifying and the race.

BMMR61

Ben1980 wrote:
31 Jul 2024, 22:03
The Mclaren has been very good, but the Mercedes deserved the win in Spa and was better in qualifying and the race.
Yes, with the caveat that McLaren setup for a dry race sacrificing grid position, unaware as everyone was, that overtaking was going to be much harder than usual at this track. Oscar in clean air showed tremendous pace, fair play to Lewis for getting to the front on lap 1 and getting the use of that clear air.

Emag
Emag

Ben1980 wrote:
31 Jul 2024, 22:02
Emag wrote:
31 Jul 2024, 15:59
90feet wrote:
31 Jul 2024, 15:33

I don't agree with this at all. We were only the fastest car in Silverstone when it was damp and everyone was running worn inters. The only way we win that race is if we build a huge gap in that phase and then there are no safety cars. But in full wet or full dry conditions, other cars were much faster.
Oscar was the fastest driver, or joint-fastest with Max at the last stint ...

If Lando goes out on mediums instead of softs, it's almost 100% guaranteed he overtakes Lewis on-track. Only had 2.something seconds to make up.
Not quite sure it was that cut and dried. He would have still had max chasing him down, on tyres up to temp.

He could have won, he also may not have won. It's not 100%
Max was nearly 6 seconds back. If Oscar could keep on Max's pace, there is no reason to believe Lando couldn't be thereabouts too.

If he went out on mediums, then its all on Lando. It would have been his race to lose.

mwillems

bauc wrote:
31 Jul 2024, 15:18
mclaren111 wrote:
31 Jul 2024, 14:28
IIRC Stella said that they needed to investigate & understand as to why the car's performance was better than expected after Miami and I suspect this is why there are delays in upgrades...
Yes I believe so as well, otherwise you can go backwards.
I think they stated soon afterwards where they thought the time had come from and made the point of saying they won't explain what it was.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bauc

mwillems wrote:
01 Aug 2024, 13:24
bauc wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
IIRC Stella said that they needed to investigate & understand as to why the car's performance was better than expected after Miami and I suspect this is why there are delays in upgrades...
I think they stated soon afterwards where they thought the time had come from and made the point of saying they won't explain what it was.
Yeah, it can be anything really, just by exploiting all set-up options, a car gets faster trough the season by 0.5 to 1 seconds anyway so we will never find out I guess :)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
bauc wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
Correct he did.
Without getting too excited maybe the analysis of the Miami upgrade on track found a massive development direction so they just switched to the new route and abandoned previous development and just pulled the trigger on upgrades which were basically ready to manufacture…?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

bauc wrote:
01 Aug 2024, 13:28
mwillems wrote:
bauc wrote:

Yeah, it can be anything really, just by exploiting all set-up options, a car gets faster trough the season by 0.5 to 1 seconds anyway so we will never find out I guess :)
I've a feeling that they may not be releasing parts as a package but are still developing as a package. Trying to balance build cost versus cfd and tunnel time weighted towards doing enough to keep us in the constructors.

Going all in on the constructors this year is not the optimum route to starting next year with the fastest car.

I'm not concerned with the rate at which parts are released, but by the development curve and performance gain vs development time.

Understandably, some are eager to see parts. I want to see an efficient and focussed development process.

-Bandit

bauc

mwillems wrote:
01 Aug 2024, 13:48
bauc wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I've a feeling that they may not be releasing parts as a package but are still developing as a package. Trying to balance build cost versus cfd and tunnel time weighted towards doing enough to keep us in the constructors.

Going all in on the constructors this year is not the optimum route to starting next year with the fastest car.

I'm not concerned with the rate at which parts are released, but by the development curve and performance gain vs development time.

Understandably, some are eager to see parts. I want to see an efficient and focussed development process.
Agree 100%
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

CjC wrote:
01 Aug 2024, 13:39
mwillems wrote:
bauc wrote:

Correct he did.
Without getting too excited maybe the analysis of the Miami upgrade on track found a massive development direction so they just switched to the new route and abandoned previous development and just pulled the trigger on upgrades which were basically ready to manufacture…?
I'm sure they would immediately incorporate all learning into parts not yet built. I doubt they threw away old ideas rather than just adapt them, but who knows. If that is something that they did them it is only because it is more efficient and effective.

I'm not sure when parts will arrive. There's a lot of races close together now. 4 races in 5 weeks from the next race, then a month off till the USA.

-Bandit

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
bauc wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Agree... I would also start on MCL39 earlier to ensure we start 2025 strong...

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mclaren111 wrote:
01 Aug 2024, 15:00
mwillems wrote:
bauc wrote:

Agree... I would also start on MCL39 earlier to ensure we start 2025 strong...
100% agree with this.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Seerix
Seerix

Good news, Stella extends his contract with Mclaren.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula- ... ea-stella/

Dimond
Dimond

Seerix wrote:
01 Aug 2024, 18:02
Good news, Stella extends his contract with Mclaren.
Great! I'm afraid Ferrari will come after him one day and as Italian he won't be able to resist

Macklaren
Macklaren

Good thing is that he has scratched that itch for many many years