2024 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2024 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 26 - 28

Big Tea wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2024, 12:02
PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2024, 05:32
You would not want your car to trap more water than other cars would you? πŸ˜‰ it would be a disadvantage. So it all falls back to square one.
As I said, when moving it would blow/suck off, but standing in the rain before weighing? I wipe my car over not to get the garage floor wet sometimes and get a inch of water in the bowl I wring out into looks not far short of 1ltr sometimes, and a F1 car is big.
Anyway, not really relevant as when Merc would have checked (if they had) it would be freshly wiped down.
I agree that scenario is possible. I am just saying that there is no need for a special way to make sure water drains from the car so that the car does not gain weight. Just put a few weep holes here and there ot leave small gaps. Not worth spending development money on making special body shapes to drain the car. It might be a problem solved decades ago.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

Paa

TFSA wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2024, 08:42
AR3-GP wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2024, 02:01
The intermediate tires have a larger rolling diameter and are probably heavier than slicks. It's impossible to speculate since it would have depended on the tire strategy.
Cars aren't weighed with Inters or Wets. If they have those tires fitted, the Technical Delegate will have the tires replaced before weighing.

https://i.imgur.com/3vJKoXL.png
It would make even more sense to set a minimum weight without tyres and measure the cars without those at all times.

vanburin

You would not want your car to trap more water than other cars would you? πŸ˜‰ it would be a disadvantage. So it all falls back to square one.
As I said, when moving it would blow/suck off, but standing in the rain before weighing? I wipe my car over not to get the garage floor wet sometimes and get a inch of water in the bowl I wring out into looks not far short of 1ltr sometimes, and a F1 car is big.
Anyway, not really relevant as when Merc would have checked (if they had) it would be freshly wiped down.
I'm more interested in what material your garage floor is made of, that makes it rainwater averse! :lol:

Big Tea

vanburin wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2024, 21:09
I'm more interested in what material your garage floor is made of, that makes it rainwater averse! :lol:
It does not matter what its made of, it you kneel on it, and I do as I have bikes, you get wet knees lol (im a wuss)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TFSA

Paa wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2024, 14:59
AR3-GP wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2024, 02:01
The intermediate tires have a larger rolling diameter and are probably heavier than slicks. It's impossible to speculate since it would have depended on the tire strategy.
Cars aren't weighed with Inters or Wets. If they have those tires fitted, the Technical Delegate will have the tires replaced before weighing.

It would make even more sense to set a minimum weight without tyres and measure the cars without those at all times.
Not really, because it's hard to move a car without tires, and you generally don't want an F1 car sit on the floor, so you'd have to have movers under the car, which would the also factor into the weight. And in addition, they sometimes weigh cars during non-race sessions (including qualifying) with tires fitted.

A baseline tire is really the best approach for weighing after a full racing session.

Zynerji

01 Aug 2024, 00:38

Not really, because it's hard to move a car without tires, and you generally don't want an F1 car sit on the floor, so you'd have to have movers under the car, which would the also factor into the weight. And in addition, they sometimes weigh cars during non-race sessions (including qualifying) with tires fitted.

A baseline tire is really the best approach for weighing after a full racing session.
A calibrated set should def be used for weights.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2024, 01:11

The cars don't race on weight-calibrated tyres so why check them with such?

The teams have their tyres in the garage and will doubtless weigh them and then set up the car according to the lightest set. Although new sets of tyres are all going to be within tens of grams of each other, not 1 or 2 kg difference.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2024, 07:45

The teams have their tyres in the garage and will doubtless weigh them and then set up the car according to the lightest set. Although new sets of tyres are all going to be within tens of grams of each other, not 1 or 2 kg difference.
Min weight being car + calibrated tyre allows the teams to NOT be responsible for the FOM mandated flaky tyres that Pirelli provide.

Someone running a George strategy shouldn't be penalized for his ability to manage the tyres for extended stints. Saying that, Mercedes should have thought of the pit entry after checkered, and compensated for no rubber pickup.

chrisc90

That’s if the tyres were to blame. There could be other factors, but tyre usage is the easy β€˜PR response’

basti313
basti313

Why? They simply gambled too low. Every one gambles on this.
If you want to remove any gamble, you need to strip every car after each race, clean off all dirt, dry it, replace the floor and put it on new wheels. Also the question is if the driver just sweats, pees or bleeds into the car...what to do with this? How to accommodate the weight loss? Sorry, this is all nonsense. They have a minimum weight with which they need to enter the pits after the race...and if they are too low, they are too low.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Dunlay
Dunlay

basti313 wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2024, 15:58

If you want to remove any gamble, you need to strip every car after each race, clean off all dirt, dry it, replace the floor and put it on new wheels. Also the question is if the driver just sweats, pees or bleeds into the car...what to do with this? How to accommodate the weight loss? Sorry, this is all nonsense. They have a minimum weight with which they need to enter the pits after the race...and if they are too low, they are too low.
I think a good suggestion is a good suggestion. After all, F1 has been evolving through the decades in it's regulations. I think baseline tyres are a good idea. Let's not have any bias blinding away from good considerations. Pirellis have been pathetically low in their product quality. So a basline tyre would eliminate the on track stupid behavior of Pirelli compounds.

What happens when a car has puncture and misses part of the tyre, but wins like Lewis did in 2020 British GP?

Polite
Polite

the weigth limit rule doesnt affect the car that (for crashes ...) losts parts..

In the russell case, the car was perfect.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Dunlay wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2024, 16:08
basti313 wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2024, 15:58

I think a good suggestion is a good suggestion. After all, F1 has been evolving through the decades in it's regulations. I think baseline tyres are a good idea. Let's not have any bias blinding away from good considerations. Pirellis have been pathetically low in their product quality. So a basline tyre would eliminate the on track stupid behavior of Pirelli compounds.

What happens when a car has puncture and misses part of the tyre, but wins like Lewis did in 2020 British GP?

https://preview.redd.it/irx5sot7yhb61.j ... 4d0cc87558
in that case the fia has the discretion to fit a similar tyre to the car to compare.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

01 Aug 2024, 14:46
01 Aug 2024, 07:45

Min weight being car + calibrated tyre allows the teams to NOT be responsible for the FOM mandated flaky tyres that Pirelli provide.

Someone running a George strategy shouldn't be penalized for his ability to manage the tyres for extended stints. Saying that, Mercedes should have thought of the pit entry after checkered, and compensated for no rubber pickup.
As they say "it's the same for everyone" and Alonso only did 3 fewer laps than George and wasn't underweight. And does anyone buy the idea that 3 laps is 1.5kg of rubber? The tyres would have lost 10s of kilos over the stint if that were the case i.e. they'd have lost more than they started with.

The tyre wear thing is a red herring to cover up a simple cock-up by George's side of the garage during car set up. I bet something silly like a tool being left in the car when it was being weighed prior to the race and then picked up after the weighing and the person not thinking about the consequences.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313
basti313

Dunlay wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2024, 16:08

Nothing. Just look at the 2020 British GP results. There is a rule for damages.
01 Aug 2024, 17:48
The tyre wear thing is a red herring to cover up a simple cock-up by George's side of the garage during car set up. I bet something silly like a tool being left in the car when it was being weighed prior to the race and then picked up after the weighing and the person not thinking about the consequences.
Well, I think they just forgot about the missing pick up. According to Merc Lewis had the same starting weight, so I guess he is just lucky...does anyone know how much he was over the threshold?
And actually it is surprisingly clean on the start/finish straight. In the on-boards after the race I can not spot any marbles on the track there.
Don`t russel the hamster!