2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
-wkst-
-wkst-

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

KimiRai wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 11:30
f1universe wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 11:13
The cover says Stroll Sr. want Max too.
Newey did say he wanted to work with Fernando at least
He will at least 2025. :)

But logically the team has to look into the future, they will do everything to get VER in 2026, the best driver, still in his 20s. Honda wants him too, Aramco wants him.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Read the bold words. Does this mean Newey will have this power at Aston?

yooogurt wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 10:28
Newey was approached by Piero Ferrari - of course they had known each other for a long time and well, but the conversation had to start - last year at the Cavalcade, one of those rallies where history and beauty are stitched together by a parade of the most brilliant Ferraris on the planet.

That start of dialog was followed by another meeting at Monza, on the occasion of the Italian GP a year ago; the flow of contact between the two, in parallel with other talks Newey has had with Aston Martin, McLaren, Williams and others, was evident for a few brief moments at the last Miami GP (May 5), when Piero and Newey exchanged nods of understanding on the grid, just before the start.

The President, to make the negotiations more concrete, offered Newey to provide him with a report with all his wishes. The document was delivered, and it was not an A4 sheet, but a wedding plume. There was no problem with the economic agreement (Whatever it takes was in force for Ferrari), but Newey asked for decision-making powers that are the prerogative of the team principal: these included binding consent - and therefore veto power - to hire new engineers, allocate roles and agree to technical partnerships. At this point (we are now in May), Vasser got in the way, and you can hardly blame him. Newey at any cost is just a figure of speech, because in reality that cost could become prohibitive, even politically. Vasser said no, and, we repeat, we sympathize with him. On the contrary, the economic aspect of the Ferrari-Newey deal was never a problem.

The sinking of the negotiations was done with encrypted codes: at the end of May, Wasser, answering a media question about the possibility of completing a deal with Newey, explained that "the group is much more important than the individual", and already eloquent phrase to which he then added: "The most important thing is the stability of the team and I'm really happy with the current situation." A month later, at the end of June, John Elkann, answering the same question, was quite explicit: "There are a lot of assessments, we have to be careful. We have to find the right moment to do what we need to do, as happened with Hamilton." Then stomped on the brakes, deflating the tires, "There are so many possibilities, Newey or others, you have to assess well whether the conditions are suitable. You have to understand the level of motivation and the ability to create new things rather than copying others."
https://autosprint.corrieredellosport.i ... _vasseur/2

yooogurt

KimiRai wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 11:55
For sure.
And thats the best option, instead of counseling, he will build another winning team.
FORZA FERRARI!

Watto
Watto

KimiRai wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 07:08
Watto wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 15:31
I think a big reason Newey stayed at Red Bull so long was the lack of corporate culture he had in an interview somewhere about buillding out the engineering department if he wanted some new equipment or what ever you asked Mateschitz he asked for a business case to be make as long as he could justify the spend it got okayed. No boards to deal with penny pinching or things being done their way. As much I think newey had his times when le lost interest in F1 full time RB allowed him the time to work on other things and move in and out of F1 projects as he saw fit - no doubt he alway has a role. But was able to pick and choose. Now there is more a corporate look to RBR to deal with
If this is true then I believe Newey would find himself more at home at Aston Martin than any of the other choices. For all the talk that Lawrence Stroll could be a negative, in a way I see it differently - despite its differences and faults it reminds me of Mateschitz in embodying the figure of one man at the top who is extremely passionate. The lack of corporate shenanigans he'd have to deal with at Ferrari and which now after the death of Mateschitz have been appearing at Red Bull. I guess we'll have to see if he thinks the same...
Tend to agree with a lot of that.

I think they would be the best fit from that pov. The only question I may have - and think AM are his likely landing spot now - is Mateschiz was very hands off. Where I think Stroll still has/tries to influence the team. Lance being one of their drivers as an example. I don't think he is a bad driver some try and claim but he is not on the Max, Lewis, Alonso, kinda level. But over all I do think they would be the best fit for him for the reason you mentioned. Time will tell though

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

Imagine if 2026 starts with this Dream team and AM put Max and Alonso together and Stroll back to replace Alonso in 2027. Yes guys im dreaming here. calm down, but, i really dont believe Alonso retire after 2025, 2026 is his last dance, i think, he will dont miss the new regulation opportunitty.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Rikrikrik wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 13:31
Imagine if 2026 starts with this Dream team and AM put Max and Alonso together and Stroll back to replace Alonso in 2027. Yes guys im dreaming here. calm down, but, i really dont believe Alonso retire after 2025, 2026 is his last dance, i think, he will dont miss the new regulation opportunitty.
Yes I also see 2026 for him as very likely. 2027 is another story though, more difficult to know.

edit: the same article which gave this news says Lance could be put aside in the Valkyrie WEC Hypercar to make way for Verstappen rather than Fernando, so it's not a given

https://autosprint.corrieredellosport.i ... n_martin/2

xReVo
xReVo

You can rest assured that if Verstappen is Alonso's teammate in 2026, the Spaniard will give everything to win the world championship

KimiRai
KimiRai

Auto motor und sport says Newey won't go to Williams

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... on-vowles/

CjC
CjC

KimiRai wrote:

yooogurt wrote:
Newey was approached by Piero Ferrari - of course they had known each other for a long time and well, but the conversation had to start - last year at the Cavalcade, one of those rallies where history and beauty are stitched together by a parade of the most brilliant Ferraris on the planet.

That start of dialog was followed by another meeting at Monza, on the occasion of the Italian GP a year ago; the flow of contact between the two, in parallel with other talks Newey has had with Aston Martin, McLaren, Williams and others, was evident for a few brief moments at the last Miami GP (May 5), when Piero and Newey exchanged nods of understanding on the grid, just before the start.

The President, to make the negotiations more concrete, offered Newey to provide him with a report with all his wishes. The document was delivered, and it was not an A4 sheet, but a wedding plume. There was no problem with the economic agreement (Whatever it takes was in force for Ferrari), but Newey asked for decision-making powers that are the prerogative of the team principal: these included binding consent - and therefore veto power - to hire new engineers, allocate roles and agree to technical partnerships. At this point (we are now in May), Vasser got in the way, and you can hardly blame him. Newey at any cost is just a figure of speech, because in reality that cost could become prohibitive, even politically. Vasser said no, and, we repeat, we sympathize with him. On the contrary, the economic aspect of the Ferrari-Newey deal was never a problem.

The sinking of the negotiations was done with encrypted codes: at the end of May, Wasser, answering a media question about the possibility of completing a deal with Newey, explained that "the group is much more important than the individual", and already eloquent phrase to which he then added: "The most important thing is the stability of the team and I'm really happy with the current situation." A month later, at the end of June, John Elkann, answering the same question, was quite explicit: "There are a lot of assessments, we have to be careful. We have to find the right moment to do what we need to do, as happened with Hamilton." Then stomped on the brakes, deflating the tires, "There are so many possibilities, Newey or others, you have to assess well whether the conditions are suitable. You have to understand the level of motivation and the ability to create new things rather than copying others."
So effectively Newey wants to be a team principle or at the very least a co- team principle?
Just a fan's point of view

NAPI10
NAPI10

If the official announcement indeed happens in September; will anyone even care about AM's car performance this year or next :lol: :D :lol:

zoroastar

-wkst- wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 11:09
Hopefully AMR can already get him at the start of the year.

That Lawrence Stroll will push hard to get VER is pretty logical for me, it's Mercedes or Aston Martin for him in 2026 in my opinion. Could be the irony of fate for ALO that he once choosed the right team (which AMR definitely is for the future), waits patiently now while driving --- cars, and once he has the right car gets the boot because they signed VER...
that would be some utter bullsh$$. i dont suspect max will go to aston that fast. more likely to mercedes. but if newey shows up in silverstone, it wont be off the table

Mattchu

KimiRai wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 07:08
Watto wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 15:31
I think a big reason Newey stayed at Red Bull so long was the lack of corporate culture he had in an interview somewhere about buillding out the engineering department if he wanted some new equipment or what ever you asked Mateschitz he asked for a business case to be make as long as he could justify the spend it got okayed. No boards to deal with penny pinching or things being done their way. As much I think newey had his times when le lost interest in F1 full time RB allowed him the time to work on other things and move in and out of F1 projects as he saw fit - no doubt he alway has a role. But was able to pick and choose. Now there is more a corporate look to RBR to deal with
If this is true then I believe Newey would find himself more at home at Aston Martin than any of the other choices. For all the talk that Lawrence Stroll could be a negative, in a way I see it differently - despite its differences and faults it reminds me of Mateschitz in embodying the figure of one man at the top who is extremely passionate. The lack of corporate shenanigans he'd have to deal with at Ferrari and which now after the death of Mateschitz have been appearing at Red Bull. I guess we'll have to see if he thinks the same...
You`re both spot on, Newey said this very early in his career when going from March and ending up at Williams...
"I was fired but I'd already made up my mind I was going – because once a team gets run by an accountant, it's time to move. Your self-confidence does suffer but Williams had approached me."
Newey will have so much more freedom at Aston Martin than he would at Ferrari.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

If Newey joins Aston Martin, he will have more windtunnel and CFD hours than Mclaren/Ferrari/Red Bull and Mercedes.
This is very unfortunate for the competition.

Big Gun
Big Gun

Despite Alonso's age, I still think overall Max, Alonso and Hamilton are still the cream of the crop (especially over a race distance with tyre management), and in a title fight Hamilton and Alonso are points scoring machines.
Norris and Charles may have more raw pace than Hamilton and Alonso at this stage, but they they are so inconsistant, and make mistake. Norris should of won more races this year, where if you give Alonso and Hamilton a sniff of a win they have the x factor to get the win.

If Newey joins AM, no way Alonso retires, and he will do everything possible to maintain and even improve (using data).
Alonso has has a rough last 6 or so races, but its been the teams mistakes, and the casuals just saying Alonso is passed it, which isnt true, last year he was easily the 2nd best driver

diffuser

CjC wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 15:48
KimiRai wrote:

yooogurt wrote:

So effectively Newey wants to be a team principle or at the very least a co- team principle?
He wants the power to override anyone who says no to him. That is not the same as being the TP, TD or CTO.

TP is higher in the org chart but that's because they oversee many non technical things. While CTO and TD are more R&D specific.