2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
erudite450
erudite450

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

It will be a close qualy but I expect the McLarens to be in the front if it's dry. Hamilton, Russell and Verstappen will probably fight for the remaining positions in the top 5. I hope the team manages to sneak pole though.

A lot of sparks though; I’m fearful when the course is so undulating
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Luscion
Luscion

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

WAIT WHO??? KIMI FOR 2025? WHAAAAAT?

-said nobody

Luscion
Luscion

Another unsurprising one, Wolff held talks with Max's management over the summer about him joining Merc next year.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wolff ... /10646951/

I thought all through the year that there was a window or that there was a possibility. It wasn't zero," Wolff explained.

"It's pretty bumpy ground there still, and not only for performance reasons, but also because of interpersonal issues that we're all aware.
What I like with Max, Raymond and Jos is that we talk straight. We don't need to push each other. We have been in this too long; we've taken the decision for drivers for next year. This is what our full effort is going into.
Hopefully that's going to be the lineup for 2026 and beyond. But that doesn't close the door on Max being with us in '26 or beyond, because we want to still keep all the options open in the same way he does. So what I enjoyed in our conversations is there is never a hidden agenda."

Somehow I have that feeling [that Mercedes and Verstappen's paths will cross]. But I don't know when that could be. Whether it's '26, whether it's three years later, I don't know yet.

erudite450
erudite450

Luscion wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 18:07
Another unsurprising one, Wolff held talks with Max's management over the summer about him joining Merc next year.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wolff ... /10646951/

I thought all through the year that there was a window or that there was a possibility. It wasn't zero," Wolff explained.

"It's pretty bumpy ground there still, and not only for performance reasons, but also because of interpersonal issues that we're all aware.
What I like with Max, Raymond and Jos is that we talk straight. We don't need to push each other. We have been in this too long; we've taken the decision for drivers for next year. This is what our full effort is going into.
Hopefully that's going to be the lineup for 2026 and beyond. But that doesn't close the door on Max being with us in '26 or beyond, because we want to still keep all the options open in the same way he does. So what I enjoyed in our conversations is there is never a hidden agenda."

Somehow I have that feeling [that Mercedes and Verstappen's paths will cross]. But I don't know when that could be. Whether it's '26, whether it's three years later, I don't know yet.
It's understandable that Toto Wolff wants Verstappen but publicly courting him when he has an excellent driver (Russell) is not the wisest thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

erudite450 wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 23:28
It's understandable that Toto Wolff wants Verstappen but publicly courting him when he has an excellent driver (Russell) is not the wisest thing.
This could inspire George to drive even better to prove him wrong. So he can either do that, or get upset and leave (which I don't think he will do).

Toto is in a position of luxury. His team has a fast car. He can have his pick of any driver that he wants.

Dunlay
Dunlay

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 23:49
erudite450 wrote:
This could inspire George to drive even better to prove him wrong. So he can either do that, or get upset and leave (which I don't think he will do).

Toto is in a position of luxury. His team has a fast car. He can have his pick of any driver that he wants.
Having driven against Lewis and holding his own, should make him comfortable to go against Max. I would love to see that combo in a leading machine. George is an intelligent driver, while Max and Lewis are just more naturally talented. That's not to say George isn't. For the lack of that fractional part of talent, he can more than make up with his intelligence. I also think George misses a bit of grit and determination that Max and Lewis have in race trim when they are chasing like a hungry dog. A few areas that he might fall short, but who knows. We might not have seen everything of George yet. We will only find out when the match up happens.

Luscion
Luscion

Dunlay wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 09:05
AR3-GP wrote:
erudite450 wrote:

Having driven against Lewis and holding his own, should make him comfortable to go against Max. I would love to see that combo in a leading machine. George is an intelligent driver, while Max and Lewis are just more naturally talented. That's not to say George isn't. For the lack of that fractional part of talent, he can more than make up with his intelligence. I also think George misses a bit of grit and determination that Max and Lewis have in race trim when they are chasing like a hungry dog. A few areas that he might fall short, but who knows. We might not have seen everything of George yet. We will only find out when the match up happens.
Unfortunately i dont think we're going to see a George/Max line up, with Merc just signing 17 year old Kimi on a multi year contract and Russell being on a 1 + 1 hes highly likely the one that gets the boot to make space for Max in 2026 if Kimi can hold his own

Venturiation
Venturiation

Dunlay wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 09:05
AR3-GP wrote:
erudite450 wrote:

Max is going to replace russel

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Giving George no.1 status and losing Lewis just to get rid of George to get Max is kind of hilarious.

But I guess the only way to get Max is if Lewis is gone and I guess nobody is interested in a Max vs George internal drama.

Ken27
Ken27

It's time for Lewis to retire now. George will close the points gap to LH with ease with his quali form.

DGP123
DGP123

Not great for Merc. Poor from Ham with snaps at T1/8, and Russell showing the car is half a second away.

Luscion
Luscion

DGP123 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:03
Not great for Merc. Poor from Ham with snaps at T1/8, and Russell showing the car is half a second away.
Both having a hard time keeping the rear end from constantly stepping out, its like the Merc from last year. Having oversteer and understeer on the same run, Car seems much worse than it was yesterday. Still poor from Lewis though
Last edited by Luscion on 24 Aug 2024, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

j_ste
j_ste

Would be interesting to see how the old floor performed around here.

This has to be their worst collective qualifying since May?