2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Alonso keeps getting oversteer in turn one. I guess the track will eventually come to him there.

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

The delta in S1 is unacceptable

KimiRai
KimiRai

Should've fallen in Q2, lucky to get through

diffuser

Yep, no oversteer in Q3.

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

Good job when it mattered

KimiRai
KimiRai

Bad in Q1, bad in Q2 but got it right in Q3 when it matters. Better than other times in the past where he's fast in Q1 & Q2 but misses in Q3. Most importantly Albon is behind so all in all great job
Last edited by KimiRai on 24 Aug 2024, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:00
Bad in Q1, bad in Q2 but got it right in Q3 when it matters. Much better than other times in the past where he's fast in Q1 & Q2 but misses in Q3.

Poor Stroll, he though he had the upper hand. Alonso gave him false hope.

Good job by Both Drivers.

We split the Ferraris and the Mercs.

wiktor977
wiktor977

Were there any visible changes between the two cars? If not they are running two different setups for sure

NAPI10
NAPI10

It was easy P6 for Lance without mistake in 1st sector

KimiRai
KimiRai

NAPI10 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:07
It was easy P6 for Lance without mistake in 1st sector
Lance 1st sector was huge indeed :D , different approaches?
Last edited by KimiRai on 24 Aug 2024, 16:14, edited 2 times in total.

Nikosar
Nikosar

Car still difficult to drive. Stroll had to do 2 corrections so he lost a little bit + track temp changed too frequently and the canali venturi of the Aston suffers from it

Overall good qualy the aim is to be in Q3

KimiRai
KimiRai

Alonso
I suffered throughout the entire qualifying, I wasn't entirely comfortable with the car, turn 9 and turn 10 felt like a bit of a lottery every time we went through there and depending on the wind gusts you had the car felt one way or the other. And then in Q3 I had like the best lap of the whole thing with less wind or whatever and when I crossed the finish line I said ‘happy with this’. I don't know if I'm tenth, ninth, when you cross the finish line you still don't know where you're going to end up, but I was happy with the lap.

We understand the car more, that's what we tried in free practice, to make changes that we thought during races that we missed in Spa or in Hungary now knowing the car a bit more, but this weekend also with the update of Williams who seem to be faster than us, the Haas who sometimes seem to have great weekends and Alpine who we saw in Spa that Ocon was very fast and here Pierre is also in Q3, it reminds us that we can't sleep because we are very close to drop a lot of places.

We are working on improving the car and we see that the other teams are not stopping either, so we are in a group where two tenths, if we lose two tenths we are out of Q1 like p17 and p18, so we are no longer in that comfort zone of the four teams in front and the midfield a few tenths behind. We are right in the midfield so we can't get distracted.

diffuser

Nikosar wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:13
Car still difficult to drive. Stroll had to do 2 corrections so he lost a little bit + track temp changed too frequently and the canali venturi of the Aston suffers from it

Overall good qualy the aim is to be in Q3
Looking at the data, Stroll was 5 KPH faster than Alonso down the start/finish straight on Stroll's fast's lap. He's likely running less DF and he got a tow that 1 lap. The other 2 of Stroll's fastest Laps, he was slower than that top speed, but still 2 to 3 KPH faster than Alonso. Alonso was like clock work at 327KPH.

KimiRai
KimiRai

KimiRai wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:38
Alonso
I suffered throughout the entire qualifying, I wasn't entirely comfortable with the car, turn 9 and turn 10 felt like a bit of a lottery every time we went through there and depending on the wind gusts you had the car felt one way or the other. And then in Q3 I had like the best lap of the whole thing with less wind or whatever and when I crossed the finish line I said ‘happy with this’. I don't know if I'm tenth, ninth, when you cross the finish line you still don't know where you're going to end up, but I was happy with the lap.

We understand the car more, that's what we tried in free practice, to make changes that we thought during races that we missed in Spa or in Hungary now knowing the car a bit more, but this weekend also with the update of Williams who seem to be faster than us, the Haas who sometimes seem to have great weekends and Alpine who we saw in Spa that Ocon was very fast and here Pierre is also in Q3, it reminds us that we can't sleep because we are very close to drop a lot of places.

We are working on improving the car and we see that the other teams are not stopping either, so we are in a group where two tenths, if we lose two tenths we are out of Q1 like p17 and p18, so we are no longer in that comfort zone of the four teams in front and the midfield a few tenths behind. We are right in the midfield so we can't get distracted.
Alonso has once again said he wasn't confortable with the car. This started to happen mostly from Imola onwards. I do think some of his struggles have been at least partly related to car balance, watching the onboard this car suffers from chronic understeer in cornering, which makes me think that perhaps he doesn't feel the front end as well as he would like to. If Baku/Singapore upgrades alleviate some of it then it will be great news

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 17:02
KimiRai wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:38
Alonso

Alonso has once again said he wasn't confortable with the car. This started to happen mostly from Imola onwards. I do think some of his struggles have been at least partly related to car balance, watching the onboard this car suffers from chronic understeer in cornering, which makes me think that perhaps he doesn't feel the front end as well as he would like to. If Baku/Singapore upgrades alleviate some of it then it will be great news
Lots of wind today though. Plus, very green track to start with.