2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

f1316 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 17:30
I mean this really shows how this is just not a Ferrari track. If they haven’t brought the new floor then I think this is expected as a damage limitation race - presuming they can bring it to Monza along with a decent low drag setup , I think it’ll be a very different story.
Even before the week started, both drivers and Vasseur said they will have a hard time here. Last year it was probably the worst weekend on relative Q pace gap (with a car that was designed far too much towards Q) and it wasn't as bad today - even with a car that does not shine in Q and cold dry conditions. There was no new floor, Nugnes either wrote about the "updated" Hungary floor and made it sound like a new thing or was just plain wrong like many other times.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 18:01
f1316 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 17:30
I mean this really shows how this is just not a Ferrari track. If they haven’t brought the new floor then I think this is expected as a damage limitation race - presuming they can bring it to Monza along with a decent low drag setup , I think it’ll be a very different story.
Even before the week started, both drivers and Vasseur said they will have a hard time here. Last year it was probably the worst weekend on relative Q pace gap (with a car that was designed far too much towards Q) and it wasn't as bad today - even with a car that does not shine in Q and cold dry conditions. There was no new floor, Nugnes either wrote about the "updated" Hungary floor and made it sound like a new thing or was just plain wrong like many other times.
Yes, exactly. Leclerc also said that from Monza onwards they will be in a better place.

dialtone
dialtone

1s off pole is… a lot.

Not gonna wake up at 6am for the race tomorrow.

Vanja #66

f1316 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 18:18
Yes, exactly. Leclerc also said that from Monza onwards they will be in a better place.
Of the following 9 races, only Qatar was trully challenging last year, though high temepratures should suit SF24 a bit more than other cars now. Brazil was bad mostly because Leclerc got a DNS from P2 and Sainz was just slow in windy Q3 and lost loads of time in traffic in the race as a result.

#BlessYouLaddie

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:25
f1316 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 18:18
Of the following 9 races, only Qatar was trully challenging last year, though high temepratures should suit SF24 a bit more than other cars now. Brazil was bad mostly because Leclerc got a DNS from P2 and Sainz was just slow in windy Q3 and lost loads of time in traffic in the race as a result.
Yes and if you combine that with finally unlocking the intended gain from the Barcelona update and bringing their final upgrade, I suspect we can be competitive again.

(Mexico may be also be challenging if they need to do anything with the engines , I suspect ).

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 12:15
I'm still hoping that "Mister X" is Costa. His last name has 5 letters too :mrgreen:
Aldo Costa for TD!!! That would be a gorgeous move

Vanja #66

f1316 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:53
(Mexico may be also be challenging if they need to do anything with the engines , I suspect ).
Mexico was fantastic last year, Leclerc was going for an overcut and keeping Max honest before the SC. On Hards and cooler track Hamilton got ahead and so it was "only" a P3

catent wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:58
That would also explain - and I recall reading this somewhere - why the car goes well on hard tires because a harder tire leads to a more stable platform.

Thank god Serra, with his extensive knowledge of suspension/tire dynamics, is coming. It really seems to be an area the team is lacking expertise in.
Running on Hards being better is a feature with Barcelona and Hungary spec floors, less deformation leads to a stable car and so less problens with bouncing. Unfortunately, final third of the race is challenging with bouncing even on Hards, as we saw in Spa

#BlessYouLaddie

ScuderiaLeo

Hamilton with a penalty and Albon being disqualified puts Sainz in a much better position to get points at least. Bright sides...

deadhead

deadhead

MichaelFerrari

I would like to ask the following
If "we win/lose as a team" as they always say....
Would you say Charles has his bit of responsibility in the team inherent struggles since he joined, or would you argue he's immune to criticism and it's entirely the team's fault?
I'm not talking about his driving, but his leadership in general, obviously everybody can have a bad day sometime.
Also,I single him out because he is Ferrari's starboy, with a huge salary.
Thank you for taking time to give your opinion 👍

dialtone
dialtone

MichaelFerrari wrote:I would like to ask the following
Would you say Charles has his bit of responsibility in the team inherent struggles since he joined, or would you argue he's immune to criticism and it's entirely the team's fault?
I'm not talking about his driving, but his leadership in general, obviously everybody can have a bad day sometime.
Thank you for taking time to give your opinion
Not a big fan of fault finding. That’s an intimate team process that Vasseur needs to run and execute, let people go if they need to be let go. We don’t have enough data to judge the team internals.

The biggest thing Ferrari pays is that there’s at least 5-6 teams that are full british based and trade staff on the regular while Ferrari can trade staff with VCARB. This is a “cheat code” and it’s hard to beat, I can’t fault the team too much for not overcoming this deficit. Some years they threw away like 2017 and/or 2018 or 2012. But fault finding by us is pretty pointless imho.

ScuderiaLeo

MichaelFerrari wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 03:23
I would like to ask the following
Thank you for taking time to give your opinion 👍
1. Leclerc isn't the leader of the team. I'm not sure who he should be leading. His garage?
2. We don't know enough about their inner workings to determine whose "fault" it is, or how much fault they bear. Not even with people like Cardile or Binotto.
3. Ferrari has been on the decline for almost two decades now. These struggles didn't begin when Leclerc joined. In the actual time they've been struggling, they've had Vettel, Alonso, and Raikkonen, in addition to the current driver pairing. Were all of these drivers also individually responsible for the team doing poorly, more so than the people responsible for the team's organization, development, and strategy? The consistent factor here is the team, not the drivers.

The drivers are not immune to criticism, of course. All the drivers mentioned did poorly at some points. It is possible that Leclerc/Sainz unintentionally feed into bad habits or workplace culture. However, I don't think it should be the driver's responsibility to lead the team... that simply isn't their job.

Ferrari has never had a weak driver lineup; the fact the problem persists indicates it's an issue within the team itself. Vasseur recognizes this which is why he is making such big changes.

spade16
spade16

deadhead wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 15:49
yooogurt wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 11:57
catent wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 11:52
Imagine if Vasseur had managed to pry Aldo Costa away from Dallara to return as TD with Serra as Head of Chassis (or vice versa).
As I remember, when they were looking for a new TP, Elkann approached Costa too, but he turned it down.
I don't think Serra was the first choice for TD
When they announced Serra - they said he was going to report to Cardile. For him to be made TD shows that they never had any star replacement for Cardile

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

dialtone wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 18:44
1s off pole is… a lot.

Not gonna wake up at 6am for the race tomorrow.
9 tenths off on a 70 second lap. It's embarrassing.

Even if this is a worst case track, I'm still fully expecting the car to barely scrape podiums without some luck going forward, and finishing 4th in the WCC. This is not 'competitive'.

I cannot grasp where people's optimism is coming from.