2024 Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort, Aug 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
search

Re: 2024 Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort, Aug 23 - 25

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:55
I think the Mclarens, Verstappen, and the Mercedes have a new set of softs for the race. Hamilton might even have 2 new sets (due to missing Q3)
Russell used five sets of Softs in Qualifying, so he definitely doesn't have any new ones left. For Verstappen and the McLaren (they all used 4) it depends on what kind of tires they returned after FP3.

So far the official list isn't available yet, as far as I can see.

Luscion
Luscion

chrisc90

Could be quite bad for Williams if their upgrade package is not measured correctly

Vanja #66

Car geometry is pre approved via CAD models. There is a scruteneering session before FP1 where FIA officials confirm the car parts are legal and bodywork is aligned with CAD geometry... I can't understand how something like this could only surface after Q3. CFRP resin got too hot and soft and changed shape during Q?!? Yeah right...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

Mogster wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 18:25

I understand Lawson being mentioned in this context, but Mick… Really :?

I think there’s some wishful thinking going on.
If they want to replace Sargeant they can't be Lawson or bust, they need an option in case Red Bull plays hardball.

Do i think Mick should be this option? In my opinion no, but they do need options.

Drugovich, Antonelli, Hadjar, Bortoleto would be exciting options, but i don't think they want exciting, after all they already have their pairing.

search

Sevach wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 20:49
Do i think Mick should be this option? In my opinion no, but they do need options.
Mick was interviewed on German Sky today, and according to that, Alpine didn't even bother to tell him about chosing Doohan instead. Ralf Schumacher was quite upset, disappointed in Briatore, who he thought was "an old friend of the family", etc, etc.

So if those old Schumacher-ties don't even secure you a phone call anymore, it honestly seems hard to believe that he is much of an option elsewhere. But who knows... a mid-season Williams ride also doesn't really sound like much of a career booster, so interest could be limited.

Waz
Waz

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 20:37
Car geometry is pre approved via CAD models. There is a scruteneering session before FP1 where FIA officials confirm the car parts are legal and bodywork is aligned with CAD geometry... I can't understand how something like this could only surface after Q3. CFRP resin got too hot and soft and changed shape during Q?!? Yeah right...
Isn't that scrutineering before FP1 done by the teams these days? The random checks during the weekend supposedly keeping them honest?

After seeing the basic regulations regarding the floor, I wonder if the new floor edge wing is the issue?

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Vanja #66 wrote:
They were probably trying to get away with something illegal and had a 3rd unsanctioned part on the car.

When's the last time a car has been DSQ after qualifying :?:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

What's with the awful onboard camera on the Mclaren? Why is it moving like that...

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Logan Sargeant did it yet again. This is the 3rd crash where he keeps his foot on the accelerator as his car is going off the pavement. And this again, has made the crash worse than it should have been. You can hear it. He should have let out that split second he knew the rears were going to go off the pavement. It seems like he thinks he can just power through it like a rally car. But that obviously doesn't work. Any other driver would have let out a half second sooner and the car wouldn't be carrying quite as much speed.

In car view
https://x.com/luismimotor/status/1827282881841872933

Here is the similar crash from Japan. He's off the track and goes all the way across the access road and into the grass before he lets out

https://x.com/F1/status/1776097695322505359

PlatinumZealot

search wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 21:03
Sevach wrote:
Mick was interviewed on German Sky today, and according to that, Alpine didn't even bother to tell him about chosing Doohan instead. Ralf Schumacher was quite upset, disappointed in Briatore, who he thought was "an old friend of the family", etc, etc.

So if those old Schumacher-ties don't even secure you a phone call anymore, it honestly seems hard to believe that he is much of an option elsewhere. But who knows... a mid-season Williams ride also doesn't really sound like much of a career booster, so interest could be limited.
Mick is just slow and still expecting to ride off his father's name but serious team principal's aren't falling for it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Zynerji

Luscion wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:53
3 place grid drop for Lewis

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GVw92aQWcAA ... =4096x4096
Trash call. Lewis handled the situation in a textbook manner...

Awful

PlatinumZealot

Vanja #66 wrote:
Light-weighting possibly. Too thin layers causes creeping /flexing inelastic deformation at various stages of manufacture and use..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 22:56
search wrote:
Sevach wrote:

Mick is just slow and still expecting to ride off his father's name but serious team principal's aren't falling for it.
I'd like to see him for 9 races alongside Albon. We can only judge Mick as he was under a terrible leader. People excel when they are with a good one, and Vowels is 1000x better than Steiner in every regard.

bluechris

Zynerji wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 22:59
PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 22:56
search wrote:

I'd like to see him for 9 races alongside Albon. We can only judge Mick as he was under a terrible leader. People excel when they are with a good one, and Vowels is 1000x better than Steiner in every regard.
And this is the reason why Vowels didn't got Mick. The guy is serious.