2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 12:14
Luscion wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 04:48
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 03:19
Poor from Hamilton, You come back after a summer break and produce that. Im not even surprised by his one lack of pace under these regs and cheese tyres i don't expect it to get better in Ferrari red next year. Hopefully Russell can sneak a podium some how.
These Pirelli tires are flimsy but it seems to be an issue affecting Merc more than anyone else, i dont usually see RB or Ferrari complaining about tire temp issues nearly as often and Mclaren rarely does, if at all. Shov and Allison both talked about their issues with the rear tires still overheating before the summer break and that their working on giving Lewis a car he can attack with
Yeah true but after seing Lewis's quotes its clear they changed too much between P2 and Qualifying (P3 was redundant) and the car was out of the working range.
I disagree with that. Imo Lewis was covering for the team again, and this is the real issue.

If you have F1 tv, you can go back and listen to it yourself. Lewis said it as soon as he exited the garage for his second run in Q2!
Last edited by dans79 on 25 Aug 2024, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Btw. Antonelli is in for HAM in FP1 at Monza; watch another catastrophe happen again with setup as we’re again reliant on RUS to prep the cars going into FP2.

It was a big mistake given how well they understand the previous spec to push forward with the new floor under RUSs direction; I hope if it comes to it they revert in Monza.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

ismail1991
ismail1991

Luscion wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 17:02
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 16:57
214270 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 16:43
Scary times if youre a Merc fan, handing the keys to RUS is a problem. Really makes you understand Wolffs pursuit of VER
Hilarious. Russell literally clocked in another head to head qualifying and race placement beat on Hamilton this weekend.

Yet Hamilton fans are treating this like a win because Russells strategy was botched and hamilton finished close but still behind him. Well guess what , it wasn't a win.

Russell literally got ahead of Piastri at the start. The fastest car on the grid. And everyone's new golden boy
Not sure his strategy got botched, he would have been passed by Sainz either way if they didnt pit him for softs and would have finished 2 places ahead of Lewis if he didnt pit, one started P4, the other P14
In addition For Russel Toto said Russel had no tyre left so they had to 2nd stop. I agree with you mate

Luscion
Luscion

214270 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 17:45
Btw. Antonelli is in for HAM in FP1 at Monza; watch another catastrophe happen again with setup as we’re again reliant on RUS to prep the cars going into FP2.

It was a big mistake given how well they understand the previous spec to push forward with the new floor under RUSs direction; I hope if it comes to it they revert in Monza.
I think thats being a bit harsh, also Lewis will most likely still be in the garage helping Kimi along with Bono. The Merc seems competitive without the new floor so i wouldnt be surprised if they reverted, this upgrade package not working wont hurt them nearly to the extent Ferrari's or Red Bull's upgrades not working did in terms of performance

Mosin123
Mosin123

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 16:50
214270 wrote:
Scary times if youre a Merc fan, handing the keys to RUS is a problem. Really makes you understand Wolffs pursuit of VER
The guy is a fast qualifier but his race pace has been a problem since the Williams days. Belgium was a hail mary that paid off and ultimately didn't pay off. Today is a better representation of his true level. Yes, next year Merc are in trouble unless Antonelli turns out to be God tier.
Wrong. Get your facts right. Russell's race pace is faster than Hamilton's this year. And 2022. This kind of nonsense you are spewing should be considered trolling. To say a race winner, pole sitter and the head to head leading teammate at Mercedes is a problem for the team next year is just trolling. Its sophistry.

https://i.postimg.cc/zvGfJm4h/20240802-091844.jpg
Only thing that matters is championship points at the end of the season.

Merc cant even set lewis tyre warmers the same temp as GR... so its all irrelevent really.

Luscion wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 17:49
214270 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 17:45

I think thats being a bit harsh, also Lewis will most likely still be in the garage helping Kimi along with Bono. The Merc seems competitive without the new floor so i wouldnt be surprised if they reverted, this upgrade package not working wont hurt them nearly to the extent Ferrari's or Red Bull's upgrades not working did in terms of performance
HAM won’t really feed into setup without tasting the racecar out on track. Going into FP2 in Monza, it’ll be RUS setup HAM takes.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

ismail1991
ismail1991

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 16:50
214270 wrote:
The guy is a fast qualifier but his race pace has been a problem since the Williams days. Belgium was a hail mary that paid off and ultimately didn't pay off. Today is a better representation of his true level. Yes, next year Merc are in trouble unless Antonelli turns out to be God tier.
Wrong. Get your facts right. Russell's race pace is faster than Hamilton's this year. And 2022. This kind of nonsense you are spewing should be considered trolling. To say a race winner, pole sitter and the head to head leading teammate at Mercedes is a problem for the team next year is just trolling. Its sophistry.

https://i.postimg.cc/zvGfJm4h/20240802-091844.jpg
I think you are the one trolling here or you just dont watch the races and look at the stats at the end of the race. Russels qualifying has been better than lewis but in the race pace he hasnt become a match yet because he punishes his tyres a lot. That is why, he had to do a 2nd stop today and lost his position to Sainz and Perez. In addition only marginally finished ahead of Lewis.

dans79

ismail1991 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 18:05
I think you are the one trolling here or you just dont watch the races and look at the stats at the end of the race. Russels qualifying has been better than lewis but in the race pace he hasnt become a match yet because he punishes his tyres a lot. That is why, he had to do a 2nd stop today and lost his position to Sainz and Perez. In addition only marginally finished ahead of Lewis.
Imo, George still does the same thing he has done his entire career, bias his setup towards qualifying(Mr. Saturday). I haven't done a statistical analysis, buy it sure seems like he hold position or goes backwards in races more often than he goes forwards!
201 105 104 9 9 7

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Let's put it this way.

If Lewis started P4 with the pace he was able to show through much of the weekend, and finished P7 just seconds ahead of and pressured by George who started P14, we'd be saying Lewis had a terrible race.

P7 was not the maximum pace for this car today, is the point, and George going backwards in races relative to his quali position is nothing new.

ismail1991
ismail1991

dans79 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 18:11
ismail1991 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 18:05
Imo, George still does the same thing he has done his entire career, bias his setup towards qualifying(Mr. Saturday). I haven't done a statistical analysis, buy it sure seems like he hold position or goes backwards in races more often than he goes forwards!
I agree with you and Grizzleboy guys.

To me this new floor didnt bond well so far. Hopefully we will get back into mix on Monza. However lewis missing Fp1 doesnt look good

Lasssept

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Did Mercedes use the old floor in FP2? FP1 was a meaningless session.

Luscion
Luscion

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 20:46
Lewis used the old floor in fp1 while George ran the new one. They put the new floor on both cars from fp2 onwards
Last edited by Luscion on 25 Aug 2024, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Lasssept

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 20:46
New

Motorsport:
To confirm its findings, Mercedes split the specification of its cars in first practice at Zandvoort – with George Russell running the new floor and Lewis Hamilton sticking with the old one.

But with the team happy with the initial feel, and Hamilton running it without problems in FP2 as Russell took P1 in the standings, the team has seen enough to be sure the new floor is the right way to go.
“Today was an encouraging start to the weekend,” said Shovlin. “The conditions in FP1 were particularly tricky with very strong winds and heavy rain making it difficult to get a good read on the updated floor we brought to Spa.

“Nevertheless, what we saw looks in line with expectations, so we'll continue the weekend with that fitted to both cars.”

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

That was my fear. FP1 was not an ideal session. It's not clear yet which floor is better.