2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

The big take away here is that the car still drives on a knife edge if condtions are not perfect.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

trinidefender
trinidefender

Question for those who know.

Why did they pit Russel for the second time? There is no way he would have been able to make up that gap with the laps remaining. At least if they left him out he would have had a chance to hold off one of the drivers?

Or was his deg really that bad that he would have slipped behind Hamilton?

Lasssept

trinidefender wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 23:58

Why did they pit Russel for the second time? There is no way he would have been able to make up that gap with the laps remaining. At least if they left him out he would have had a chance to hold off one of the drivers?

Toto: “[George] terribly ran out of tyres so that’s why we had to switch to the two stop. Lewis had a lock up and that’s why a two stop there. But overall Lewis’ pace was good, I think that was correct. George it was a different set up direction that we need to evaluate.”

https://x.com/fiagirly/status/1827730123153424449

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

dans79 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 18:11
ismail1991 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 18:05
I think you are the one trolling here or you just dont watch the races and look at the stats at the end of the race. Russels qualifying has been better than lewis but in the race pace he hasnt become a match yet because he punishes his tyres a lot. That is why, he had to do a 2nd stop today and lost his position to Sainz and Perez. In addition only marginally finished ahead of Lewis.
Imo, George still does the same thing he has done his entire career, bias his setup towards qualifying(Mr. Saturday). I haven't done a statistical analysis, buy it sure seems like he hold position or goes backwards in races more often than he goes forwards!
He has started behind Hamilton and finished ahead of him twice this year. So you're wrong. Everyone is praising LH for a standard recovery drive. And of course, said nothing when Russell was doing it in 2023. 2023 was Russells "terrible year" lol.

Russells recovery drives in 2023:

Azerbaijan
GR started 11th (LH 5th) GR finished 4th (LH 6th) whoops

Monaco
GR started 8th (LH 6th) GR finished 5th (LH 4th)

Spain
GR started 12th (LH 5th) GR finished 3rd (LH 2nd)

Hungary
GR started 18th (LH 1st) GR finished 6th (LH 4th) ouch

dans79

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 00:09
He has started behind Hamilton and finished ahead of him twice this year. So you're wrong.
Read.....
dans79 wrote:
Imo, George still does the same thing he has done his entire career
201 105 104 9 9 7

Mosin123
Mosin123

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
dans79 wrote:
ismail1991 wrote:
I think you are the one trolling here or you just dont watch the races and look at the stats at the end of the race. Russels qualifying has been better than lewis but in the race pace he hasnt become a match yet because he punishes his tyres a lot. That is why, he had to do a 2nd stop today and lost his position to Sainz and Perez. In addition only marginally finished ahead of Lewis.
Imo, George still does the same thing he has done his entire career, bias his setup towards qualifying(Mr. Saturday). I haven't done a statistical analysis, buy it sure seems like he hold position or goes backwards in races more often than he goes forwards!
He has started behind Hamilton and finished ahead of him twice this year. So you're wrong. Everyone is praising LH for a standard recovery drive. And of course, said nothing when Russell was doing it in 2023. 2023 was Russells "terrible year" lol.

Azerbaijan

Monaco

Spain

Hungary
GR finished 4th in Azerbaijan 2023? i thought it was Alonso....... Perez 1st, Max 2nd ( hadnt got his + 10 extra stats yet ) CL in the prancing horse 3rd, GR 4th? you sure?

You mean he finished 8th......... https://www.formula1.com/en/results/202 ... ace-result

PlatinumZealot

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
dans79 wrote:
ismail1991 wrote:

Azerbaijan

Monaco

Spain

Hungary
So basically russian roullete tracks then? Okiedokie.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Dunlay
Dunlay

Lasssept wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 00:04
trinidefender wrote:

Toto: “[George] terribly ran out of tyres so that’s why we had to switch to the two stop. Lewis had a lock up and that’s why a two stop there. But overall Lewis’ pace was good, I think that was correct. George it was a different set up direction that we need to evaluate.”

Data doesn't suggest that.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Mosin123 wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 00:47
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Azerbaijan

Monaco

Spain

Hungary
GR finished 4th in Azerbaijan 2023? i thought it was Alonso....... Perez 1st, Max 2nd ( hadnt got his + 10 extra stats yet ) CL in the prancing horse 3rd, GR 4th? you sure?

You mean he finished 8th......... https://www.formula1.com/en/results/202 ... ace-result
But the point is, posting content without any facts in it. If a poster can't make an effort to find facts, but then anyway posts content, that doesn't make any sense.

On the contrary, Lewis has been fluffing qualifyings and then makes a comeback by beating Formula 1.5 cars. That somehiw is noteworthy. I have no intention to belittle Lewis, but the one sided criticism is really poor.

Dunlay wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 03:22
Lasssept wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

The data indicates RUS pace was poor & not getting better; he was at risk.

Whichever way you slice it, gap forward to LEC or gap backward to HAM - both made significant inroads against RUS during the H-tyre stint (you can calc the gaps yourself), HAM circa 0.230/lap faster. SAI likely had the pace to pass & the trendline indicates RUS wouldve been at risk to PER towards the end (who also had a 4/5 lap tyre offset). HAM close to PER at the end depending on the trendline

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Dunlay
Dunlay

214270 wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 06:07
Dunlay wrote:
Lasssept wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/1JS2h9w/IMG-2541.png
https://i.ibb.co/gwYVWPP/IMG-2543.png

Whichever way you slice it, gap forward to LEC or gap backward to HAM - both made significant inroads against RUS during the H-tyre stint (you can calc the gaps yourself), HAM circa 0.230/lap faster. SAI likely had the pace to pass & the trendline indicates RUS wouldve been at risk to PER towards the end (who also had a 4/5 lap tyre offset). HAM close to PER at the end depending on the trendline

https://i.ibb.co/Xx89LG1/IMG-2544.png
Actual lap times below.

1. Lewis was half a second slower in the first stint. He was obviously stuck behind cars. But that's the "data". That's the penalty for not having a good qualifying.
2. There was an average difference of 7 to 8 tenths between Lewis and George in second stint. If that represents George's performance, then one has to relook at the entire season's race performance difference. It just shows that the setup was not up to the mark for Hards on his car. May be it was more biased towards Mediums and Softs.
3. In 3rd stint on Softs, they were almost equal. That nullifies the argument that George was slower.
2. The performance gap to Sainz was around half a second and that was not enough difference to overtake a car ahead. We saw Piastri struggling to overtake Leclerc with similar margin. Carlos may or may not have overtaken, but would have certainly damaged his tyres running behind George.
3. Perez had bigger degradation than George. So he wouldn't have certainly overtaken George. Red Bull would have boxed Perez to cover Lewis, which means they had fight it off to reach George, with 1 second advantage and 24 to 26 seconds to close in 23 laps. Would that have happened? Anybody's guess.

So that pit stop for George was a clueless job from Mercedes. It's not the first time though.

Luscion
Luscion

“The car is simply a surprise box sometimes,” said Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff. “It's not the same car that was racing for first and second place just six weeks ago.” Which certainly didn't help: Mercedes had planned to try again with the parts at Zandvoort after the first test of the upgrade at Spa. However, the changeable weather and the limited driving time in the practice sessions did not make the analysis any easier.

Wolff is certain that a mistake must have been hidden somewhere. “Maybe it was the setup, the track or the floor. Or even everything together?” he wondered. Above all, the team struggled with the issue of tire wear. That's why, in his opinion, there was no alternative to Russell's two-stop strategy. “We had planned a two-stop race for Lewis, although we considered a one-stop strategy in the middle of the race,” explained Wolff. “But he had a braking incident on the hard tires, and as there was no danger from behind, we switched him to a two-stop strategy. His pace was consistently good, though, and that gives us confidence.”
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... nnanalyse/

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Dunlay wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 07:05
214270 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:

Actual lap times below.

1. Lewis was half a second slower in the first stint. He was obviously stuck behind cars. But that's the "data". That's the penalty for not having a good qualifying.
2. There was an average difference of 7 to 8 tenths between Lewis and George in second stint. If that represents George's performance, then one has to relook at the entire season's race performance difference. It just shows that the setup was not up to the mark for Hards on his car. May be it was more biased towards Mediums and Softs.
3. In 3rd stint on Softs, they were almost equal. That nullifies the argument that George was slower.
2. The performance gap to Sainz was around half a second and that was not enough difference to overtake a car ahead. We saw Piastri struggling to overtake Leclerc with similar margin. Carlos may or may not have overtaken, but would have certainly damaged his tyres running behind George.
3. Perez had bigger degradation than George. So he wouldn't have certainly overtaken George. Red Bull would have boxed Perez to cover Lewis, which means they had fight it off to reach George, with 1 second advantage and 24 to 26 seconds to close in 23 laps. Would that have happened? Anybody's guess.

So that pit stop for George was a clueless job from Mercedes. It's not the first time though.

https://i.postimg.cc/PJnQ6wbM/dutch-gp.png
George had 6 laps fresher softs in the last stint, and yet Hamilton was catching him easily. That’s not the same pace, that’s a massive difference.

Anyways it’s clear that Hamilton is hampered by his subpar qualifyings and that’s the only reason Russell is heading him in head to heads. Anyone trying to spin that Russell is equal to or better than Hamilton on Sundays either are blind to facts, or try to push an anti-Hamilton agenda or both. It’s tiring.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Tvetovnato wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 09:28
Dunlay wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 07:05
214270 wrote:

Actual lap times below.

https://i.postimg.cc/PJnQ6wbM/dutch-gp.png
George had 6 laps fresher softs in the last stint, and yet Hamilton was catching him easily. That’s not the same pace, that’s a massive difference.

Anyways it’s clear that Hamilton is hampered by his subpar qualifyings and that’s the only reason Russell is heading him in head to heads. Anyone trying to spin that Russell is equal to or better than Hamilton on Sundays either are blind to facts, or try to push an anti-Hamilton agenda or both. It’s tiring.
The only time George lost time to Lewis in 3rd stint, was when he got stuck behind a back marker. Otherwise, he had same pace and nothing suggested there was a deterioration like it was on Hards. The average pace across the season puts George ahead of Lewis on both race pace and quali. If you want to be blind to that data and push the agenda that Lewis is somehow superior, makes zero sense.

I fully expected this discomfort when a talented driver is put alongside Lewis. There were many voices that were against putting George next to Lewis. Now we see that to be real. Lewis himself likes the challenge, but fans don't like it. That's just a shame. I can't imagine the mental gymnastics next year when he goes against Charles.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Dunlay wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 03:25
Mosin123 wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 00:47
TeamKoolGreen wrote:

Azerbaijan

Monaco

Spain

Hungary

But the point is, posting content without any facts in it. If a poster can't make an effort to find facts, but then anyway posts content, that doesn't make any sense.

On the contrary, Lewis has been fluffing qualifyings and then makes a comeback by beating Formula 1.5 cars. That somehiw is noteworthy. I have no intention to belittle Lewis, but the one sided criticism is really poor.
The point is.......... He said GR finished 4th.. That isnt a fact, its manure........ He finished 8th, his great come back drive was 3 places, And TeamKoolGreen is trying to place some sort of narrative GR had an amazing race. he didnt.

I didnt bother checking the others. if dude cant even get his first " fact " right, he is probs wrong on his other " narrative driven facts" Only fact that matetrs is championship points.

No cares if GR is faster for 2 laps because he burns out his tyres. none cares if GR goes all in for q sessions and is always mostly poor in race..... Noen cares that he starts first, and finishes 5th, none cares. He is still behind in the points where it matters....