2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dunlay
Dunlay

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

MTudor wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 00:30
Dunlay wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 16:48
Oscar seems to be Webber 2.0. Lando was miles ahead, but Oscar could barely make a single overtake of note. McLaren seems to have screwed Lando in Hungary. Those precious 7 points might just be the difference at the end of the season. Oscar doesn't seem like he can put himself between Lando and Max.
...and yet Oscar in the last 5 races(prior to this race) has the most points out of everybody 😂😂😂
With the fastest car on the grid, yes. How many times did he beat Max in that duration? Alonso used to beat Webber in the fastest car while Vettel used to lead comfortably in those years.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MTudor wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
Oscar seems to be Webber 2.0. Lando was miles ahead, but Oscar could barely make a single overtake of note. McLaren seems to have screwed Lando in Hungary. Those precious 7 points might just be the difference at the end of the season. Oscar doesn't seem like he can put himself between Lando and Max.
...and yet Oscar in the last 5 races(prior to this race) has the most points out of everybody 😂😂😂
We have a fantastic pair of drivers… Yes, a few of the reactions regarding Oscar are unwarranted… But in the same token, cherry picking stats or periods of time to make a point is kind of silly and leaves context completely out of the equation.

Oscar is a generational talent and McLaren are lucky to have him in the team… At the same time, Norris is currently faster than Oscar, whether it is in Qualy or Race Pace and there is nothing wrong with admitting that… Will Oscar surpass Norris? I believe there’s a high probability of that happening, but is he the faster McLaren driver at the moment? No he isn’t.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

how may yers Norris driving for F1 with McLaren compare to Oscar? Oscar doing great compared to Norris. we have to give some more time to Oscar.... it is just second year for him.....in F1

Mansell89
Mansell89

I really am staggered sometimes by the reaction to a single race at a single circuit.

This week Oscar Piastri is “the new Mark Webber”. Don’t make me laugh. OP is on a trajectory far higher and in his SECOND season.

For the last few weekends Eddie Jordan said he’d be the one to go on and dominate F1 in time.

The guy is quick, smooth, improving and in time I believe will make that MW comparison look foolish.

Had Macca have undercut GR and CL they’d have comfortably been 1-3 minimum. As it is I thought LeClerc drove beautifully and in fact Ferrari looked decent in race trim.

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 03:05
mwillems wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 00:41
MTudor wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 00:23
I'm seeing all this hate towards Oscar,calm down people,geez!!!
This place is Bipolar lol He outscores Lando over the last 7 races, then he has a crap weekend and it's the usual. It's best ignored.
Oscar has never been faster than Lando in a race this season, they are higher only because of Lando's mistakes. This is a problem, he needs to improve his racing pace.
I thought Lando didn't make mistakes, it was strategy? 😉

I don't think you are correct either, there have definately been weekends where Oscar has nailed it, He's not as fast as Lando though, but I wouldn't expect him to be. Lando has now finished ahead of Max for the fourth time in 15 races despite having the faster car for half of that and an equal car gor all but four of the rest, and now he's on for the WDC according to some of the hype after one good result.

It's just the Mclaren thread all over. Both drivers can improve, both are performing well. Lando is the veteran who should be further ahead in the WDC and wiping the floor with his team mate, but isn't.

But as is typical in this thread, one good result and everyone creams their pants, one bad result and everyone sh*ts their pants 🤣🤣🤣 And that applies variously to each driver after each race.

I hope Lando has got on top of his consistency and can convert his potential to points now. If he does, then he has an outside chance as things stand today. As I said before the race, I think Lando can get on top now and he can put his mistakes and mindset behind him and become a championship level driver. In fact I'm certain he'll get that in race cold calculating focus, it's just taking a while to get into his zone. Fingers crossed this was the landmark.
Last edited by mwillems on 26 Aug 2024, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 08:21
Lucky wrote:
mwillems wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 00:41

This place is Bipolar lol He outscores Lando over the last 7 races, then he has a crap weekend and it's the usual. It's best ignored.
Oscar has never been faster than Lando in a race this season, they are higher only because of Lando's mistakes. This is a problem, he needs to improve his racing pace.

Lando has now finished ahead of Max for the fourth time in 15 races despite having the faster car for half of that and an equal car gor all but four of the rest, and now he's on for the WDC according to some of the hype after one good result.
Lando is to blame only in Hungary and Belgium, in other cases you need to say "thank you" to the brilliant McLaren strategists, even in this race, Lando's engineer was talking complete nonsense in radio exchange.

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 08:38
mwillems wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Lando has now finished ahead of Max for the fourth time in 15 races despite having the faster car for half of that and an equal car gor all but four of the rest, and now he's on for the WDC according to some of the hype after one good result.
Lando is to blame only in Hungary and Belgium, in other cases you need to say "thank you" to the brilliant McLaren strategists, even in this race, Lando's engineer was talking complete nonsense in radio exchange.
I certainly wouldn't agree with that, and I went through it previously. The strategy often isn't as bad as some made out, but sometimes it was and Lando has made more than two mistakes, but I'll look later in the week and post then, when I can write about actual events and not just some recollections. But pinning Lando only finishing ahead of Max 3 times in 15 races on the strategists is highly disingenuous at the least, shall we say. One of those was a Max DNF before the Mclaren upgrade.

I know it will be perceived as many as negative, but I just want to be honest as I can about both drivers. Lando had a first half to the season not up to the standards of a WDC. But now is the chance to put it behind.
Last edited by mwillems on 26 Aug 2024, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 08:43
Lucky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I certainly wouldn't agree with that, and I went through it previously. The strategy often isn't as bad as some made out, but sometimes it was and Lando has made more than two mistakes, but I'll look later in the week and post then, when I can write about actual events and not just some recollections. But pinning Lando only finishing ahead of Max 3 times in 15 races on the strategists is highly disingenuous at the least, shall we say.
I forgot about Barcelona, although it was tactically possible to correct Lando's mistake there.

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 08:48
mwillems wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 08:43
Lucky wrote:

I certainly wouldn't agree with that, and I went through it previously. The strategy often isn't as bad as some made out, but sometimes it was and Lando has made more than two mistakes, but I'll look later in the week and post then, when I can write about actual events and not just some recollections. But pinning Lando only finishing ahead of Max 3 times in 15 races on the strategists is highly disingenuous at the least, shall we say.
I forgot about Barcelona, although it was tactically possible to correct Lando's mistake there.
I think there's a bit more but ill go over when im awake properly. But it's also about the races where he just couldn't find the pace. Once totted up it's probably around half of the first part of the season, which is too much, and this , for me, is the difference between Max and Lando. Max will get more from the car more often.

But I'll post another time around my opinion of events, and not my early morning ramblings.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Dunlay wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 03:28
MTudor wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
With the fastest car on the grid, yes. How many times did he beat Max in that duration? Alonso used to beat Webber in the fastest car while Vettel used to lead comfortably in those years.
It’s too early to compare Oscar to Vettel and Alonso, in the scenarios I think you are suggesting (2009-13) at the beginning of that time period Vettel was starting his 3 season and Alonso on his 9th. Oscar is 1.5 seasons in….
Just a fan's point of view

BosF1
BosF1

A quick question: in the past the McLaren drivers were contractually obliged to hand over their original trophy's to the team. Is that still the case nowadays? Or do drivers get to keep the trophy's?

Dunlay
Dunlay

CjC wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 10:29
Dunlay wrote:
MTudor wrote:

It’s too early to compare Oscar to Vettel and Alonso, in the scenarios I think you are suggesting (2009-13) at the beginning of that time period Vettel was starting his 3 season and Alonso on his 9th. Oscar is 1.5 seasons in….
I am comparing him to Webber. I know he is no Alonso or Vettel.

mwillems

Dunlay wrote:
MTudor wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
He's beaten Max more than Lando has, and beaten Max in 3 of the last 5 races, vs 2 out of 5 for Norris. Oscar is the driver who has finished ahead of Max more than anyone else this season, 5 times to Lando's 4.

There's always going to be a confirmation bias in here. It runs counter to actual results and events, and always the reason is strategy, Lando is shafted by strategy, as if Oscar has not been subjected to the same strategic calls, which is just nonsense, we know full well Oscar has suffered in a similar way to Lando.

Over the last 8 Races:

Max 159
Lando 142
Oscar 138

It is not 8 races where Lando has been shafted by strategy and Oscar has not. it is 8 races where Lando has not been able to pull away from Oscar (Under the same circumstances by and large) and 8 races in which Max has extended his championship lead. Lando is obviously a better driver than Oscar and has shown that over the 15 races so far.

Don't got me wrong, I want Lando to go on and smash it. But it pains me that this forum is so averse to using reality as an actual basis for opinions, let alone watching the stupid bi-polar knee jerk reactions. It's just typical put 'em on a pedestal and knock em down rubbish all the time.

Let's see Norris string together a dominant run of wins, and I think he has it in him and he definitely has a car to do it. Even better, Max to get desperate, tangle with a non Mclaren driver and lose some serious points.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

BosF1 wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 10:42
A quick question: in the past the McLaren drivers were contractually obliged to hand over their original trophy's to the team. Is that still the case nowadays? Or do drivers get to keep the trophy's?
It is still the case. Not sure if they make replicas or something.