2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 22:23
Autosport's JBL teases that McLaren have concentrated their upgrade efforts towards second half of the 2024 season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYeos8TwZI

Every time McLaren arrive with major upgrades they work effectively and noticeably so. Is the long awaited new wind tunnel proving to be the hero of McLaren's surge to the top?
He’s certainly backing up what the other guy said in the article I was querying my post before yours👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Macklaren wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 22:27
i fully acknowledge that this is premature BUT....Lando said in the post race press conf that he thinks he would have won in Zandvoort even without the latest upgrade. We have seen that a car that was last updated in Miami was still very competitive until the summer break. If McL win in Monza and Azerbaijan by a large margin, the team should think about holding back remaining upgrades until 2025 so as to not tip our hand for next year's car. and also use 2025 wind tunnel time (which will be lower because we finish P1/P2 in WCC this year) for the '26 regs? Save some budgt cap money too?
Winning in Monza and Azerbaijan will be highly unlikely in my opinion unless the new update coming for Monza is mustard.
So saying that I feel the car will need upgrades this season.
However, like you say having the luxury to save development could be vital for the coming seasons, but to be fair, they accrued development post Miami so they might as well spend it!! :twisted:

BMMR61

Macklaren wrote:
i fully acknowledge that this is premature BUT....Lando said in the post race press conf that he thinks he would have won in Zandvoort even without the latest upgrade. We have seen that a car that was last updated in Miami was still very competitive until the summer break. If McL win in Monza and Azerbaijan by a large margin, the team should think about holding back remaining upgrades until 2025 so as to not tip our hand for next year's car. and also use 2025 wind tunnel time (which will be lower because we finish P1/P2 in WCC this year) for the '26 regs? Save some budgt cap money too?
I think there's always a danger in playing the underachiever in order to get more wind tunnel concessions, as tempting as it may be. The pursuit of success should always be the first aim, and if more performance from the MCL38 can bring an (unlikely) WDC then it should at this point still be left open. As it is the WCC has to be the goal with the last time McLaren achieved this being in the days of Mika and DC. The 'weapon' that McLaren has is best correlation and understanding producing the best all round package on the grid. This will be valuable in providing direction in the design of the MCL39. They should continue to strive for both championships until it's all but impossible.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 05:38
Macklaren wrote:
I think there's always a danger in playing the underachiever in order to get more wind tunnel concessions, as tempting as it may be. The pursuit of success should always be the first aim, and if more performance from the MCL38 can bring an (unlikely) WDC then it should at this point still be left open. As it is the WCC has to be the goal with the last time McLaren achieved this being in the days of Mika and DC. The 'weapon' that McLaren has is best correlation and understanding producing the best all round package on the grid. This will be valuable in providing direction in the design of the MCL39. They should continue to strive for both championships until it's all but impossible.
I completely agree. While developments bring a boost in speed and stability, it is necessary to bring them while the budget allows. The higher the speed, the easier it is to win and build a strategy for the race. And with all the accumulated experience, in 2025 you can build a chassis based on 2024. The worst thing is to start playing a giveaway with rivals. And then you see Ferrari and Mercedes will bring another package of updates and McLaren's victories may become unattainable, or Red Bull will cope with the difficulties.

geogate
geogate

do try to enjoy it, people

BMMR61

geogate wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 07:00

https://postimg.cc/gxBB6CGg
Can we have a repeat win this weekend? Wait, how about a repeat of the 2021 Monza result?

mclaren111

BMMR61 wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 10:54
geogate wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 07:00

https://postimg.cc/gxBB6CGg
Can we have a repeat win this weekend? Wait, how about a repeat of the 2021 Monza result?

Hell Yes... :D :D

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I hope we will win. I would love to see Max challenged till the end of the season, to see what happens when he needs to defend his points lead.

The team seems relatively confident. Zak mentioned new bits for Monza so they probably have some low drag solutions as well.

SilviuAgo

BMMR61 wrote:
Autosport's JBL teases that McLaren have concentrated their upgrade efforts towards second half of the 2024 season.

Every time McLaren arrive with major upgrades they work effectively and noticeably so. Is the long awaited new wind tunnel proving to be the hero of McLaren's surge to the top?
And every time McLaren brought a major performance upgrade this year (Miami and Zandvoort) Lando won :D :D

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

BMMR61 wrote:

Quite interesting tidbit of info by JBL. Could be a way to keep higher wind tunnel allowance? Or just a way for Marshall to be able to properly give his input on the development.

Wind tunnel is definitely another piece of the puzzle.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Macklaren wrote:
There is no point in holding back upgrades for the '24 car if they improve performance, which will help them win the constructors. I expect McLaren will be able to carry over a lot of components from the '24 car into the '25 car. Given McLaren's wind tunnel looks like it's performing very well, the restricted time might not be a hinderance for McLaren. The regulations are stable, so evolution rather than revolution is the way McLaren is probably going.

As for the '26 car? Development doesn't start until January 2025 for all teams. Same old thing in F1, you have to make decisions about how you split resources between the current car and a car that has a different set of regulations.
McLaren should produce a car capable of winning in '26. However, the unknown for all teams will be the quality of the Power Units from respective manufacturers. Either it'll be very competitive, or Mercedes might repeat what they did in 2014.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Question about Monza. Does Monza require kerb riding? I am no expert but I do think they ride a lot of kerbs in some corners. Would that work against Red Bull?

geogate
geogate

I think Monza will be a bit more of a challenge for Mclaren. But by optimising the upgrades from Zandvoort plus new low downforce bits, one can feel optimistic. The factory is pretty busy right now from what I hear - they are going for it

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 13:59
Question about Monza. Does Monza require kerb riding? I am no expert but I do think they ride a lot of kerbs in some corners. Would that work against Red Bull?
There is some, you can't run too low to the ground due to turn 1 and the chicane, for instance.

I'd be cautious about the Kerb riding metric, it got thrown around like it was an accurate reflection of how teams would perform at certain tracks, but as far as I recall kerb riding alone wasn't the issue but it was the setup that was required in order to enable kerb riding, that sometimes compromised teams like Red Bull and Ferrari. Not all tracks with kerbs compromised the cars.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

Monza has had quite extensive renovation - part of which I think includes curbs and some remodelling of turn 1

https://f1ingenerale.com/wp-content/upl ... x1920.webp