McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: McLaren MCL38

CjC wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 09:50
This is said article:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... GbcxX.html
If you could post a quote or a screenshot of the section where they switch between new parts, it's a pay-walled article.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mclaren111

F1.com - Upgrades
The main part of the upgrade was a new high-downforce specification of rear wing and beam wing. “This wing gives us general efficiency gains, a bit more downforce, better slow-speed performance and a better DRS gain,” McLaren’s chief designer Rob Marshall explains.
Whereas the previous high-downforce wing flap featured a completely straight trailing edge, this one incorporates the central vee indentation of the lower downforce family. That surrenders only a small amount of total downforce from the section, which is shielded by the DRS mechanism (and so less effective), to give a drag reduction even when not in DRS mode
The wing still features the separate outboard winglet sections which taper the downforce away at the outboard ends for a useful drag reduction. But the downward sweep of the lower part of these winglets is now much more pronounced and appears to integrate more closely with the geometry of the top of the endplates.
The beam wing has been reshaped to feed the airflow in a way appropriate to the reshaped main plane of the main wing.
The downforce and drag of a rear wing are determined by the shape and area of the main plane upper and lower surfaces, the flap design and geometry and how they all interact throughout the speed range.

Balancing out all the compromises inherent in making it more efficient – which has been the whole target of this development – is a hugely complex mathematical challenge taking up a lot of personnel and resource time. That explains the long lead time and the big gap between major upgrades.
The accompanying changes – more efficient front brake ducts, a re-alignment of the brackets on the floor edges, re-aligned sheaths for the front and rear suspension arms – were minor in their effect.

Vanja #66

Oh boy, they mixed everything up with that illustration... The "Zandvoort" rear wing spec on that illustration is the one they tried out in FP1 (with Piastri I think), which is actually Singapore 23 spec and also used in Barcelona 24. Beam wing on the illustration is also older spec from Barcelona 24 (and even before that, I think) while the new spec sees a smaller lower element. Here's what both cars ran in the race

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 19:39
Not that anything else was expected, but the new wing doesn't show any signs of flow separation. It seems the flap is now steeper and obviously the frontal area is maximised, in terms of performance the DRS delta seems aligned with RB and Ferrari. Photo by motorsport

#BlessYouLaddie

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 11:29
Oh boy, they mixed everything up with that illustration... The "Zandvoort" rear wing spec on that illustration is the one they tried out in FP1 (with Piastri I think), which is actually Singapore 23 spec and also used in Barcelona 24. Beam wing on the illustration is also older spec from Barcelona 24 (and even before that, I think) while the new spec sees a smaller lower element. Here's what both cars ran in the race

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 19:39
Not that anything else was expected, but the new wing doesn't show any signs of flow separation. It seems the flap is now steeper and obviously the frontal area is maximised, in terms of performance the DRS delta seems aligned with RB and Ferrari. Photo by motorsport

https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -rear.webp
On various resources where several pictures are superimposed on a photo, the authors often make mistakes. Some kind of general inattention, or indifference. When I saw the new rear wing on Friday, I was surprised when in comparisons they singled out the wing that had already been used in Barcelona. However, the fact that this is precisely the Barcelona wing, I have already carefully studied only this evening, comparing different options that have already been used earlier this season.

f1rules
f1rules

CjC
CjC

Don’t think we have seen a low downforce rear wing like that before with the rounded ends from anyone else?
Just a fan's point of view

Z-one
Z-one

different from spa spec
The mankind’s courage and resolution will be witnessed and remembered by stars.

M840TR
M840TR

Oscar running the old spec for reference

Last edited by M840TR on 29 Aug 2024, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

M840TR
M840TR

CjC wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 10:46
Don’t think we have seen a low downforce rear wing like that before with the rounded ends from anyone else?
Very unique design indeed. Also has a flat upper wing without the cutout / dimple in the middle, continuing the new Belgian rw design.

mclaren111

CjC wrote:

Peter Prod and his team in full swing... :D :D

Emag
Emag

Ah it seems like they have come up with an optimized low DF wing as well, perhaps an extension of the package prepared for Zandvort.

This looks similar to what Ferrari has brought in terms of load, although I still think Ferrari is running a bit lower.

Compared to the old low df spec, the lower element is significantly thinner.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Very interesting. Good job, team! =D>

In 2024, McLaren brought a lot of modifications and configurations of the rear wing. And in general, they are all new, compared to 2022-23. And the front wing has been updated a couple of times. This is very nice to see. The aerodynamics department is working tirelessly to optimize the entire aero package, reduce drag.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 29 Aug 2024, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

CjC wrote:
In 2022 Alfa Romeo had triangular cut on their flap tips :)

As far as I can tell, McLaren's wing is very close to frontal area of Ferrari in the main span, but tips are slightly smaller. The main difference is camber of the whole wing, you can't see the slot on McLaren wing which tells us it's obscured by the leading edge of main element

#BlessYouLaddie

mwillems

Is that the first time those Winglets on the DRS flap droop like that, or just the angle. Or is it actually cut away as Vanja suggests? The fact I would still expect to see the black outline on the winglets, but can't, suggest to me that part of the winglet has just drooped behind and lower than is visible.

That looks to be a phenomenally thin wing.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Wow, didn't expect such a different wing. I think McLaren expects a lot from this wing.