Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emag
Emag

Re: Ferrari SF-24

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 13:41
Emag wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 13:18
Can you spot any differences in the floor? Tough for me to tell on this angle.
Not on top. I don't think we'll see topside changes anymore this year, on any car. Occasional diffuser change and whatever we can see on the rear keel :mrgreen:
I guess that makes sense. Waiting for better shots at the rear end later on the weekend then.

I doubt that “radical” changes are possible this late in the season, but I am interested to see what they do with their floor next year and whether they’ll keep their current philosophy or not.

If I am not mistaken, out of the top three, Ferrari remains the one with the “highest ceiling” in the underside, whereas both RedBull and McLaren have a peak that extends closer to the ground before the expansion towards the diffuser starts.

yooogurt

FORZA FERRARI!

zioture
zioture

Vanja #66

yooogurt wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 14:43
A return to Imola-spec sidepods, by the looks of it?

The new elements on the floor look a lot different than anything seen so far, some of those details must have been worked on for a while. We'll need to wait for more photos tomorrow to understand the full scope of changes
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

zioture
zioture

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 16:01
A return to Imola-spec sidepods, by the looks of it?

The new elements on the floor look a lot different than anything seen so far, some of those details must have been worked on for a while. We'll need to wait for more photos tomorrow to understand the full scope of changes
Yes it looks like Imola spec sidepod, I check your post, extra catch
From your post:

Vanja #66

Massive changes to the floor, including some bodywork changes (deeper undercut). We'll keep looking for those details

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

That's quite a bit more substantial than I initially assumed. Will be a very interesting weekend to look into the changes as well as the effect they have brought on the car.

zioture
zioture

zioture
zioture

Foto Credit Alessandro Martelotta for Newsf1.it Full gallery here

https://www.newsf1.it/ferrari-f1-svela- ... rime-foto/

yooogurt

FORZA FERRARI!

ing.

ing. wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 21:19
Bouncing is not caused by stalling, as well described here (I posted this already):

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/the-m ... t/8693581/

…but rather, it is caused by cyclical spikes in DF caused by the underfloor approaching the ground after a disturbance (bump or other), or maybe deflection of the oscillating floor edges if these are not rigid enough—and hence the comment in post above about Ferrari revised floor being possibly only, or mostly, structurally reinforced.

The cyclical DF spikes, if they approach the suspension resonance frequency, will set up the bouncing—which is basically undamped vibration. Kind of like if you bounce the front of a car with bad dampers at just the right frequency to get some pretty big amplitudes.
As I expected ^^ and very succinctly confirmed by Jock Clear here:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/the-m ... /10649232/

“Ferrari performance engineer Jock Clear said that the key to stopping bouncing was in controlling the final millimetre of movement when the car is sucked down close to the track as it generates more and more downforce - a "trap" that many teams have fallen into.”

Seems bouncing is triggered by unstable DF spike as the floor approaches the ground—hence all the work, including Monza upgrades, to control floor edge flow/sealing—but unlike previous generation of cars the plank contacting the ground and choking the under-plank flow results in a loss of overall DF.

Obviously suspension rising rates and damping play a crucial role here but it is ultimately an aero issue. And fixing it—because not evident in WT, etc.—is an analytical exercise. Vasseur mentioned that they’ve developed some criteria to assess this but it’s obviously work in progress.

deadhead

yooogurt

Ferrari's FIA/FOM camera has been repositioned to work better with the airflow to the suspension and sidepods. (c) Rosario Giuliana
FORZA FERRARI!